In this thread I will debunk the 'look like he's trying/gives a fook' theory

There's always someone yelling about a player not looking like he's interested/trying

Or someone saying that a certain player doesn't care/give a flip

So...

In order to debunk this theory totally and prove conclusively once and for all that it's a reight load o poo pooe I will ask one simple single question

The answers to this single question will demonstrate how much of a load of crap it is for people to say 'he doesn't look interested' or 'he doesn't give a flip' type stuff.

QUESTION - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

stop paying them silly wages and tell them to start living in the real world.

I'll add that to the list

when i talk about them to start living in the real world,make work 40+hours a week like everyone else does instead of coming in and only doing 2hrs training a day and then pi55ing off back home to play on their PS3.Now if i was to have that sort of attitude at work,the gaffer quite rightly have me in the office and give me either a written warning or my P45.

One of the problems about judging whether a player is putting the work in is being able to understand football and what a players job is...this automatically rules out the majority on here judging by some of the stupid observations on the players over the last cuople of weeks or so

when i talk about them to start living in the real world,make work 40+hours a week like everyone else does instead of coming in and only doing 2hrs training a day and then pi55ing off back home to play on their PS3.Now if i was to have that sort of attitude at work,the gaffer quite rightly have me in the office and give me either a written warning or my P45.

what would you do if you were them? would you not do exactly that

A summary of the OP's findings would be that the players do care and do give a flip. My findings then watching them play is that they aren't good enough. Taylor, Gardner, Barkley, Semedo, Pecnic, (especially Pecnic), Bothroyd, Dan Jones aren't good enough but do give a flip. So why don't they flip off ;-] If DJ gives them a game knowing they aren't good enough does that mean he doesn't give a flip??

A summary of the OP's findings would be that the players do care and do give a flip. My findings then watching them play is that they aren't good enough. Taylor, Gardner, Barkley, Semedo, Pecnic, (especially Pecnic), Bothroyd, Dan Jones aren't good enough but do give a flip. So why don't they flip off ;-] If DJ gives them a game knowing they aren't good enough does that mean he doesn't give a flip??

Good points and questions but what's the answer ?

Owlstalk Shop

The answer is sir, that the player can't physically demonstrate it. Is that what you're looking for? He can pretend to look interested but real commitment starts off the field with training, extra training, lifestyle, working on weaknesses etc etc etc. Giving a flip isn't just chasing lost causes, chasing shadows, kissing the badge, which is a new thing as is jumping into the crowd all of which come easy when things are going well, its playing intelligent football by good players who don't need to be told to look like they're trying.

That's my answer but I understand why fans are criticising. In Lg.1 shear effort can be enough, in the Championship not enough. There is no substitute for quality I'm afraid and perhaps we are confusing quality with perceived effort. If "we'd still got Ryan Lowe" we'd be applauding him off for 100% effort.

Interesting that 3 of those players who "aren't good enough" have a combined 600 games of championship experience and half as much again in premiership experience with a combined 35 years of career in the top 2 divisions - plus caps at various (including full) England level.

But forget all that because the last 3-4 games settling into a new team, system and season hasn't seen them at their best....