Only 5 Subs in FL Games Now

Football League clubs have voted to reduce the number of substitutes that can be named on the teamsheet for matches in the npower Football League from 7 to 5.

The vote was taken at an EGM at Leicester City's King Power Stadium.

A Football League spokesman said: "This was felt to be a sensible and prudent step given the financial challenges facing many football clubs and the commitment made earlier this summer to adopt UEFA's Financial Fair Play framework."

Clubs will still be permitted to name 7 substitutes in the Carling Cup and FA Cup and 5 in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/footballleaguenews/20110721/league-clubs-to-reduce-subs-from-7-to-5_2293334_2398424

Football League clubs have voted to reduce the number of substitutes that can be named on the teamsheet for matches in the npower Football League from 7 to 5.

A Football League spokesman said: "This was felt to be a sensible and prudent step given the financial challenges facing many football clubs and the commitment made earlier this summer to adopt UEFA's Financial Fair Play framework."

Clubs will still be permitted to name 7 substitutes in the Carling Cup and FA Cup and 5 in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/footballleaguenews/20110721/league-clubs-to-reduce-subs-from-7-to-5_2293334_2398424

Hurray for a full bench :)

A step in the right direction.

I don't see there was ever a need to increase it from 2 subs. And yes I do know that there was a time when you didn't even get two subs.

Really? I quite like the managers having the ability to mix it up based on a large® bench, then again, I like the technical side of things.

A step in the right direction.

I don't see there was ever a need to increase it from 2 subs. And yes I do know that there was a time when you didn't even get two subs.

were teams and players asked to play as many games or to the level that they are now though?

5 subs is enough, although im not sure how it makes any difference financially having 7 and not 5 :blink:

rugby league teams travel with 19, 18 warm up in case of an injury before kick off - if all 17 make it through the other two watch from the stands. Nothing stops a team doing this does it?

Crazy move just something else to hold back yout development in this country.

With 7 subs you can have 1/2 kids on the bench and depending on the score perhaps give them 20/25mins 1st team experience, how many managers will take the risk of putting untried youngsters on the bench now?

In theory shouldn't make too much difference to your squads.

I think it makes a huge difference. Our club apart (seeing as we are struggling to fill the bench at the moment), keeping a squad of players happy is very difficult, but at least with more room on the bench you can keep more of your squad involved (and in theory be in with a chance of getting some pitch time). It also makes it much harder to 'blood' players from the youth set-up - more often than not a more experienced player is likely to get the nod over a youngster.

Now we have no reserve side either - the young un's are never going to get a look in.....

With 7 subs you can have 1/2 kids on the bench and depending on the score perhaps give them 20/25mins 1st team experience, how many managers will take the risk of putting untried youngsters on the bench now?

great point

This will be good news for poor old Plymouth. They are strugling to put a 6 a side team together.

Was thinking the same. They allow 5 pro,s and 2 youngsters.

why not allow 5 subs PLUS 2 under 18s ???

I like this idea. Could virtually fill all positions as well.

I think 5 is a step backwards as it will ultimatley lead to clubs buying 'utility' players and impact on the overall quality of the game at the levels below the Premiership.