Bramall Lane Easter 1980

I love threads like this !

OK here are some simple facts......

I cant comment on the 60s as before my time. Maybe in those days fans did share ends as there wasnt any sort of segregation.

Onto the 70s though and things were different. One comment earlier on here said he remembers there being thousands of blunts on the East Bank once. Well simple fact is we didnt play them in the league or cup until BDM, so not sure where you get that from.I never missed a single derby game in this period and can categorically state that they never , ever brought thousands on the kop. The main thing in the 70s was all about taking the kop end at away games and doing so was thge ultimate humiliation for the home club. Many tried at Hillsboro, but cant remember anyone succeeding bar for Man U and Villa who both swamped us in the early 70s (same season if I remember right) but was done by sheer numbers (I can remember Wednesday fans fighting like mad v Man u tho despite being massively outnumbered). Despite our awful performances on the pitch Wednesdays away support was always phenomenal and I remeber quite a few games when we took the home end.

As for Wednesday v the pigs the facts are very clear. In the few occassions when we did play in the 70s Wednesday always had a go at taking the shoreham and I know for a fact that they succeeded at least once in taking and holding the middle ground. I know because I was there. Anybody thats read my book knows that Ive never been into hooliganism or condone it, but it was an undisputable way of life as a football supporter in those days and there was a huge amount of glee in taking your biggest rivals kop end.

As for going to bumholelane I can say that Ive only been on the away end once (the one where carlton palmer got sent off in a friendly). The rest of the time Ive not been able to get a ticket so went elsewhere in their ground.

The game in 1980 that the topic is about, I was in the south stand and whereas its hard to say how many owls were on the shoreham, there were a lot (1,000 -2,000 in the 'mob' Id guess) and there is no denying that they were there.

Even more amazing was the game which they won 2-0 when Chris Woods had a nightmare. We were on the south stand again, near their kop end and had a perfect view of the mob we had on their end again. There were comfortably 1500-2000 on there again and a hell of a lot in the south too. I can remember lots of chanting and

doing the wednesday wave between those in the south and those on the shoreham.

In comparison pigs have never had a mob on the east bank since ive been going.

I always put this as been one of the reasons why they have such a chip on their shoulder about us.

Even when we were really crap in the 70s our fans took their kop. In the 70s 80s and 90s we still had a mob on their end.

We have actually won a trophy and played in Europe and reached cup finals.

Our crowds have always been bigger throughout this period (save for the dark dark days of the mid 70s)

And then we wonder why they have been going so crazy over the last 10 years, that at long last they got on top of us for a short while !

Well at least theyve got egg day to brag about (even though no one on here has even heard of it before)

And for the record sam, I also had a blue and white shirt on in 93, where I also obvioulsly hid my scarf

Guest Triplej2

I remember walking along outside Wembley after we beat them in '93, there was a sea of blue and white sweeping along leaving the stadium and making their way in the opposite direction, through the thousands of Wednesdayites were about 3 or 4 Blades. I can honestly say they got nothing more than some serious wee wee taking, pretty jovial and I think they got their hats nicked.........and that was IT!! No violence, no abuse, nothing more than ripping the wee wee. that's the kind of thing that differentiates us from them and what makes me proud to be a Wednesdayite, we all know what would have happened if it had been the other way round!!

They obviously have a severe problem with Wednesday. There appears to be a massive chip on their shoulders, whether it be success, crowds or whatever else their jealousy feeds them with.

I think their promotion season to the premier sums this up. Thousands of them turn up in the centre of town for the town hall civic reception. Fine by me. In fact I was envious of them to be honest.

However, what's with the 'We hate Wednesday flag' hung opposite the town hall? The event was supposed to be about them but they truly embarrass themselves with a banner confirming their inferiority complex.

Guest Deleted member

Lets not forget that a United fan was felled (and I think killed) with a single punch from a Wednesday fan in the coach park at Wembley.

We have a fair few idiots like this other egg guy too...

I once went on the Kop at Bramall Lane and said 'bum' under my breath before running away quickly. Does that register on a par with the famous 'Egg Day'? :huh: My Dad started going to Hillsborough in the 1950s, following us home and away for years and he has absolutely no idea what all this is about.

What a desperately sad thread this has turned into. One poster in particular is less evolutionarily sophisticated than lifeforms I've had growing under the rim of my toilet.

Edited by DJMortimer

Tut tut.

Read Son of Sams first post. He claims that his dad was one of Wednesday's main lads during the 60's and 70's so it is obvious that whilst his dad was in uniform this plonker was still in liquid form (perhaps even egg form?).

Also to put true perspective on who this guy really is, who do we all know from the 70's who was one of Wednesday's main lads?

I give you the one and only.................

SAMMY, SAMMY,

I'D WALK A MILLION MILES FOR ONE OF YOUR SMILES,

OH SAMMY!

Maybe he came into being on one of the many occasions when Sammy dropped his trousers to take a p*ss.

End of.

You can’t be the only one on here who remembers egg day, but even when you do, you try to twist it, by saying Blades egged their own fans, why would they do that?

flip knows but why would they smash up one of their own pubs after a recent derby defeat?

Who knows what the thick tw@ts will do?

Guest Big Guns

Reight funny earlier on I had a walk to the shop ,I don't no why I had an egg in me pocket but anyway I see bloke with a blades shirt on ,so as I got to him I smashed it over his head,I flippingpissed me sen with laughing lol lol

I love threads like this !

OK here are some simple facts......

I cant comment on the 60s as before my time. Maybe in those days fans did share ends as there wasnt any sort of segregation.

Onto the 70s though and things were different. One comment earlier on here said he remembers there being thousands of blunts on the East Bank once. Well simple fact is we didnt play them in the league or cup until BDM, so not sure where you get that from.I never missed a single derby game in this period and can categorically state that they never , ever brought thousands on the kop. T

That was my dodgy memory, It was a county cup game, there may not have been thousands, but there were lot more than expected!

I think it was the first time we had met in a while.

Do the Sheffield Star reporters read this forum for idea's on what to write about. This threads been going for a few days and look what appears in the Star's sister paper, The Telegraph, (dated today)?

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/sheffield-sport/curran_genius_shows_no_sign_of_becoming_history_1_3502736?commentssort=1&commentspage=2#commentsSection

Check the banter in the comments section. :biggrin:

Edited by M Royds

Hands up any fvcker who walked back down Wembley way with their scarf up their jumper?.....You mate are just making stuff up.. just about Every fvcker at WEmbley had a Wednesday shirt on...whats the point of putting your blue and white scarf up your fvckin' blue and white shirt....

Did you actually fvckin' go to the game..or are you simply an inch offa fvckin' stupid?

As above

What I remember about that walk was both sets of fans together any blade with a brain cell was happy that the history books was not going to show the stuffing that they got.

All clubs have their share of idiots , son of Sam you are obviously one of sheffield uniteds fools

Now can I suggest that you switch the computer off and go and play with your action men or do you prefer barbie dolls