Bramall Lane Easter 1980

Unfortunately, I wasn't at this game.

I have always been interested to know just how many owls were on the shoreham that day.

I have heard many conflicting stories. A blades book from the 90's put the number at about 100. Other sources

have said over a thousand.

Were you there? How many were actually on their kop?

Note, I did go to the league cup game the following season. I stood on the Bramall lane end and I reckon there

were around 150 on that night (that made themselves known anyway).

I have always been interested to know just how many owls were on the shoreham that day.

I have heard many conflicting stories. A blades book from the 90's put the number at about 100. Other sources

Note, I did go to the league cup game the following season. I stood on the Bramall lane end and I reckon there

It was definately in the thousands and a good number of those were in their colours, If you get the chance you should watch the 79/80 match of the day video, at the start of the game the camera sweeps round the ground, as it gets to their kop you can see the main colour of support change from red to blue on the right hand side, priceless and cant be denied by those grunters

Edited by soultime

It was definately in the thousands and a good number of those were in their colours, If you get the chance you should watch the 79/80 match of the day video, at the start of the game the camera sweeps round the ground, as it gets to their kop you can see the main colour of support change from red to blue on the right hand side, priceless and cant be denied by those grunters

Any idea where I could get the video from mate cos I'd like to see that :)

Guest SPURTt

Kops used to be shared in Sheffield but i hope the tough fan image is long gone , one poo poo head is as bad as another

Nowhere near 5000, but from the other end I do remember the centre of the Kop becoming a no-mans land on more than occasion during the game.

when I said it was in the thousands I was being over cautious with the figures, didnt want to sound like I was bulls**ting, I know theres pigs will be reading this and pouring ridicule on my comments. anyway the 5000 mentioned could be nearer the mark, I dont know the capacity of the kop in them days but we had a good third of it on that right hand side. As I said before its on the video to see for self

I went on the shoreham for this match, went with five mates, couldn't get ticket's for the bramall lane end.

Their kop was split by a white metal fence (if my memory serves me right) as we went up the steps to the kop our lads were on the left hand side, recognised a few "faces" so went and stood with them .Never seen so many sheepskins at Easter before :biggrin: :biggrin: ( Bad Lads wore them for protection from a kicking)

During the game more and more wednesday fans joined us until everbody seemed to be owls fans, (no mobiles in them day's just a nod and a wink :dry:

I would put it at about 700 at least maybe more,(seemed like bleeding thousands when curran scored that wonder goal) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I went on my own and went in their end next to the old John Street stand. I remember Bobby Knutt running towards us with a United shirt on and recieving a cheer, then he turned round and at the back it was a Wednesday shirt.

It was packed and when they took the lead I was jostled all over the place as they understandably went barmy. I kept quiet all the game until Curran scored when I forgot myself and tried to jump around but I was so tightly packed in. I made a lame comment like "well, it was a good goal wasn't it" and to their credit the Blades left me alone (apart from a few swear words).

The Wednesday fans made a lot of noise that day and it was deeply satisfying preventing them avenging Boxing Day.

There were a few other Owls there but none near me (or if they were they kept quiet like me!). I don't remember much trouble in the ground either, just the usual swaying, pushing shoving and the occasional scuffle.

I love that footage from MOTD, the Owls banner on the church, Currans banter with Kenworthy, and most of all that goal. I don't think it won goal of the season but it should have done. Totally created out of nothing by Curran, it had everything, dribbling from an innocuous position near the corner flag, beating men and an accurate shot from range in an important game before 48,000. I'd rather have been with the Wednesday fans bit I ended up having a better view of one of all time great Wednesday goals.

I remeber our allocation being 15,000 , total attendance that day was 45,156 ..all the Bramall Lane end and stand withy the John Street terrace at least up to the half way line, think we may have had some of the stand..

Very difficult to judge when you were on it but I'd put our amount on their kop as at least 1.5k - 2k ,mainly at the back of it, next to the railings someone mentioned earlier dividing us from them. I seem to remember a lot of scuffling breaking out periodically over the railing divide, and police line. I seem to also remember someone getting stabbed with a screwdriver that day on the kop too.

:mellow:

I was on the Shoreham that day with a few mates, the cops new loads of Owls would be showing as when we neared the top of the steps at the back the police were asking everyone if they were Owls or Blunts and directing the owls to the top left(from the back),you could see the look of shock on the little blunts faces! Funny thing I remember was that the toilets for that side were thru us so the blunts couldn,t even have a pee at half time,great days

Kops used to be shared in Sheffield but i hope the tough fan image is long gone , one poo poo head is as bad as another

Rest assured the blunts never shared our kop. They would quietly come in and stand right at the very top corner out of harms way!!!

I was on the Shoreham that day and we numbered around 1200 in the top left hand corner. Apart from about 30 mins before KO when their main barm-pots tried to attack us from below and got slaughtered,

There was very little trouble due to the fences and good police organisation.

Rest assured the blunts never shared our kop. They would quietly come in and stand right at the very top corner out of harms way!!!

I was on the Shoreham that day and we numbered around 1200 in the top left hand corner. Apart from about 30 mins before KO when their main barm-pots tried to attack us from below and got slaughtered,

There was very little trouble due to the fences and good police organisation.

But ask any blunt and they'll tell you over 3,000 come on every time they're at S6. :laugh: