Tommy & Tommy

Is it usual to leave contract renewals until this late? Will it be the club's choice or the players choice to leave until this point?

I would have liked to have seen Buxton signed up a while ago, if only to prevent others swooping in for him.

I would have liked to have seen Buxton signed up a while ago, if only to prevent others swooping in for him.

Absolutely. This is why we ended up losing Richard Wood on the cheap last season. The only possible excuse I can think of is that if you have a number of players in the final year of their contracts, as is the case with us again this summer, if you start negotiations with a number of them then it basically tells the rest that they are probably not wanted well before that might be healthy for them to be aware of. But it's not much of an excuse to be honest if you end up losing players you'd rather keep by delaying too long.

So that's two options Buxton potentially has outside of S6.

Personally, I think we have a plethora of Centre Halfs now. Buxton is a very good centre half for this level and also a good right back, BUT I think some of our other options are less prone to injury and also better.

It'd be a blow to lose him, but not a bitter one.

wont JJ be gone as well?????

Frankly, if Buxton, Miller and JJ go we will need to get more than 6 new players in summer to see us up. Even if we keep hold of JJ we need 2 or 3 new wingers, in my opinion.

This isn't a situation I'd really like us to be in, ideally, where 3 of our better players this season could be off for nothing.

Have you seen the long post in the non swfc section, think its in the blades boss ready for cuts or whatever its called? Some amazing claims in there, be interested to hear if any of it tallys with anything you've heard.

Just read it and there is one very interesting post, however i would say only 30-40% correct.

In all honesty they are in the same position as we were 12 months ago, Preston are the same and I assume Sflaphorpe will be too. You have to cut your cloth accordingly, get your high earners off the wage bill ASAP and start from scratch.

They wont go in to admin, yes they are struggling but so are 85% of football clubs at present and until someone makes a stand and stops paying silly wages to over rated players then it will just get worse.

What if Potter went to the Blades?

It would be a sideways career move for Potter.

I say let Spurr go and give them Clinton in a kind of 2 for 1 deal.

Actually throw in Sedgewick as a tempter ......... to close the deal.

Can't say fairer than that.........

I hope that Tommy Spurr stays and fights for his place. We now know that there are actually other players in the squad who want the ball and hopefully they won't go back to hiding if he is back in the team.

I also hope that Tommy Miller stays, as captain, and leads us to promotion next season.

It would be a sideways career move for Potter.

I say let Spurr go and give them Clinton in a kind of 2 for 1 deal.

Actually throw in Sedgewick as a tempter ......... to close the deal.

Can't say fairer than that.........

Nowt new there then! :laugh:

yak yak

Very disappointed if the Buxton rumor is true.

I believe that he started his career at Pompey, so he may well fancy a move back down South.

Real shame, as he has been comfortably our best defender this year.

Big loss to the squad also, seeing as he can fill in anywhere at the back.

Guest TonyOwl88

Course they'd get bood... moving across the city is disrespectful to our club.

Tommy Spurr came through our academy and is still a young lad. I think he deserves a little bit more respect if nothing else.

Spurr hasnt developed enough here, but I think he has the attributes and needs a fresh start. As he has always been seen as a loyal Wednesday player who gives his all and scored against United I'd actually hate to see him go there, as I think they would get a player they could work with on the cheap (in the fact that I think he may well kick on at a new club with a fresh start).

I still think Miller can contribute here, over 10 goals from midfield, penalties or not isnt to be sniffed at. But the problem is, we need to shift players and the players who really need to move are under contract.

agree...tommy gives 100%...however, he lacks certain skills, and talents a decent fullback needs...

i think a move may well be good for him...

tommy has suffered under pressure in the past, i imagine the pressure here next season will be very high...

i feel he needs to get away and re-start his career...

GOOD LUCK TOMMY SPURR, you gave a monkeys, and it showed...sadly effort is not enough for the challenges ahead of us...

I agree with this - just think Spurr needs the move (particularly if the rumours of the fall out with Megson are true) and will reach his potential elsewhere although hopefully not by following the Quinn, Geary, Bromby route