Megson = Irvine = Laws

I'll be honest - wouldn't have been my first choice but i can see him doing a decent job but....

He seems to have a really confrontational style (which some fans love) and when it works it works well - but when it doesn't work it can be poor such as at Forest - which is why it was ESSENTIAL imo that he was allowed to make several changes of his own and not give Irvine that luxury - when a manager has that front-up approach they absolutely need dressing room allies - and they normally get that by getting a few of their own in the team and staff

At the moment it seems easy for the players to maroon GM if they decide they don't like his methods - and to that end not being allowed to round up a few of his own has seriously indermined him in the short term - a really poor decisions from MM and one that i bet he's regretting

Gonna take the summer at least to sort this out now

AI was popular with the players, while GM slagged them off from the start. He is a controversial character.

Could be their revenge.

You need to work WITH players not against them, then wait till the close season.

Meanwhile, 18000 mugs pay to watch a shambles.

= Sturrock = Yorath = Shreeves = Wilson = Jewell = all the managers for evermore.

Isn't it about time we had a manager to inspire us?

And don't reply to this with the 'give him some time to get his team'.

Because I've heard that for the past 15 years.

Well then go away and become a multi millionaire, I'll give you a couple of weeks ! It's easy you say so yourself, then you can buy the club and manage us yourself.

Hope you 're not a builder, you'd be saying don't waste time on footings ! simple as it does take time like it or lump it !

Well then go away and become a multi millionaire, I'll give you a couple of weeks ! It's easy you say so yourself,

Eh? Where have I said that? Or have you completely made that up in an effort to give credence to your stupid point?

Last time we had this discussion you were backing Irvine as some kind of footballing managerial legend, backed by ravenjetbyrne, so forgive me if I don't take your footballing guidelines on board.

In fact, forget the forgiveness, its so sad that its come to this already, I find it as hard as when I was right last time.

Eh? Where have I said that? Or have you completely made that up in an effort to give credence to your stupid point?

Last time we had this discussion you were backing Irvine as some kind of footballing managerial legend, backed by ravenjetbyrne, so forgive me if I don't take your footballing guidelines on board.

In fact, forget the forgiveness, its so sad that its come to this already, I find it as hard as when I was right last time.

No I don't get my knickers in a tangle but time is a factor. I have seen us rise to near the top twice 60's & 90's it will happen again but in the mean time victories or defeats are just imposters until we achieve some consistantly decent performances.

Does your being right all the time make our plight any better? That's what I was suggesting if you are right all the time don't waste prescious time talking about it do it !

Wanted at SWFC someone who is right all the time.

New manager = mass summer squad changes = no time to gel = cries for new manager = fearful managers trying to placate badge less fanbase...

= outdated philosophy of passion & fight, over passing & patience = losses = cries for managers head = defensive manager slagging off touchy ego driven players = fearful players = side passes = BOOOOOOO! = defensive play = BOOOOO! = HOOOF!!....

= frequent loss of possession = 4-2 defeats = cries for managers head = manager using the tired old stick method = defensive football = BOOOO! = HOOOF!! = heavy defeats....

= new manager = mass squad changes....

Guest bartos

George, you are a wee wee tail but what do you expect from GM in such a short space of time?

Progress has been made, slow yes but it's still progress. For me the players bottled it today, last team we wanted t come up against was Plymouth. They'd have competed against Barcelona.

I'd also suggest nerves after such a long break played a part

Oh your managerial suggestions are lusricous btw

Seriously when are we going to stop blaming the manager and start pointing fingers at the gobshite players??

Maegson was doing well in the Prem 2 years ago so we can safely say that he can do the bloody job here.

So that only leaves one more excuse....THE PLAYERS ARE poo !!!!!!!

The manager can only do so much but when the players cross the white line they are on their own.

I say this season should be used to find out who wants to improve and stay.

The rest should be sold or cut as soon as the season has ended and Megson can bring in players he knows that will not act like little girls and play for us.

I have a feeling that 75% of players will leave at the end of season.

Thankfully we have a chairman that does not take poo poo and is not scared to make changes to improve us.

Seriously when are we going to stop blaming the manager and start pointing fingers at the gobshite players??

Maegson was doing well in the Prem 2 years ago so we can safely say that he can do the bloody job here.

So that only leaves one more excuse....THE PLAYERS ARE poo !!!!!!!

The manager can only do so much but when the players cross the white line they are on their own.

I say this season should be used to find out who wants to improve and stay.

The rest should be sold or cut as soon as the season has ended and Megson can bring in players he knows that will not act like little girls and play for us.

I have a feeling that 75% of players will leave at the end of season.

Thankfully we have a chairman that does not take poo poo and is not scared to make changes to improve us.

but it was fine to be raging against irvine when we where 2nd in the league?

we hounded the guy out,

who had to reshape of sqaud with no funds and a transfer embargo rearing its head

there was always gong to be players that worked and playerss that didnt

all on here agreed the sqaud looked good ni thoery

but we fought against alan,at every turn,even making the non issue of heffernan not starting,into this huge deal,tat had to ruin the player of the month

when we de motivate our team as fans by choosing to make some redundant point,instead of reward the players that have put in ataul shifts,what do you think that would t to the mindset of the players

being undermined to the point of haterif,when irvine had us in the top 6 most of the season,

its just crazy that you all thought it would be that easy to go up

when we have seen the struggle leeds and many others have had trying to get out of this league

only now to we have the resorces to live up to the fans expectation

there is no magic wand

megson seems to have alienated the players,by hanging them out to dry

i seem to remeber irvine taking the full flak for any defeat

noe megson is doing worse at the moment and we are going backwards if anything(sorry to say it guys look at the record)

irvine at least got a lift when he came in,,what has megson done?

made us more defensive,and has started playin the steady eddies rather than the players that have a greater risk but a greater pay off

i cn forsee most on here turning on megson ,,,,,

the lack of apprieaction of what irvine inherited when he took over,the sheer enormity of the task

well megson took at tea,on a poor run yes,but wuth a sqaud of decent players,fresh with an influx of much needed young talent

i thougt it was just rivne holding us back?

clearly not,as i said all along,it goes much deeper than that

its a case of laws leaving an empty shell ,and irvine trying to fill it with the best he could,,,at the time,with the constraints of no funds

all these teams fight for each ther,cos they ,in the vast majority of cases,arean group of players,with a heirachy and players who know there postions,and have a small friendly fan base,with realistic expecations

who, when they play a glamour club like us,rasie there game, and go at us.

with our semi baked pie of a team,we can struggle

players are not responding well to the presure of a big club,what should be an inspiration is a burden

we need to be careful not totake our frustrations out on being abit crap(which we have for rather a while now)

some free transfer castoffs and former "names"wasnt going to do that

some young kids with huge potential cant be expected to do that

only a good level headed manager

,backed by a great chairman

and

the fans,

and liked and respected by the players,will about the change we want

we want a change in the culture,which takes time

we made a hge mistake getting rid of irvine

and now we are paying for it

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

People need to get over this 'best squad in the division' idea. The fact is we had bod all money to play with in the summer and brought in some wannabe players and some has-beens (with a history, and that is it). The truth is the squad of players as a whole is not good enough- this is both technically and mentally. Megson as much as he is trying can not polish a TERD.

The remainder of this season will give Megson the opportunity to identify all those who need releasing, and with that, those players who need to come, as replacement. The difference being that during this summer we will have the ready made funds and to bring in the right type of players for success.

To blame Megson for all this is a bit short-sighted, to be honest.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

The reason why our club is in the situation it is, is because of previous mismanagement (at the senior level). Our current plight is as much to do with circumstances, as it is anything else. One thing is for sure MM will not let the club be run like it was previously. We just need to be patient. As they say: 'Rome wasn't built in a day'....

Yes it would be plain stupid to blame Megson for the mess we are in. However there are some of us who believe, perhaps we don't need the upheaval that comes with an appointment such as him One other thing, we need to stop using Megsons past record as a reason to blame the players for our predicament Firstly Megson's record is patchy to say the least and secondly most of these players too have achieved at a higher level

After the last 15 years at least, we need a top to bottom study in the close season to find out why we can't get any further forwards now than in the recent past,

we need a full rethink not blind panic, why for instance does Paul Jewell seem to do good things since he left here, if it was his fault entirely.

Yes it would be plain stupid to blame Megson for the mess we are in. However there are some of us who believe, perhaps we don't need the upheaval that comes with an appointment such as him One other thing, we need to stop using Megsons past record as a reason to blame the players for our predicament Firstly Megson's record is patchy to say the least and secondly most of these players too have achieved at a higher level

Explain this whole "Megson's record is patchy" because I've watched him most of his managerial career. There's one thing he ain't and that patchy. The only place really where he didn't do well was Forest and that was because the players undermined him and the board who had bought them, failed to back him because it would have meant them acknowledging their own mistakes. Bolton he saved from relegation took to europe and built the foundations of the team they're reaping the rewards from now. But, then he was the great Forest failure to there fans.

Look when he was at ours. gary megson at first didn't have the financial backing that you have now. Look what he did for us. He will stablise you in this league first, he will then bring i his own players over the summer. in fact I'd put money on that both your Academy and Scouting Systems will have already been started on a re-development program. Consolidate for the first season push forward the second, it's how he worked here, and you cannot deny he wasn't successful

thank you, and to be honest it's the only way to go...but some on here thought that the players we had at the start of the season were going to wee wee the league, then of course when we get rid of purse and the new defence is installed, every things going to be perfect...

so when a new manager is installed, and has only the previous managers (some may say the worst manager for some time) players, then he has a problem.

in the past a new manager faced with bolstering up the side and then pushing on next season, would buy in the players required to shore up the defence and midfield players now to stabilise the side, and in the summer, bring in the cutting edge, and flair players to launch a promotion push...the trouble is from what i'm seeing is, megson wants that many players to put this right that he can't possibly be expecting to get them all in the closed season...

managers get better with age and experience, footballers get over the hill...do you seriously want to blame megson for teale standing watching one of the players run past him, them after a second or two starting to amble back. do ypu want to blame megson for the fact that some of our defenders are, and have been like the keystone cops for ages now...

that some of the players in the side are not good enough by a long way, and some may even have to move to a division lower, or even jack in altogether...is that megson's fault, did he buy them?...

until we get a side that is fit and can go 90 minutes, the we won't know how good some of the ones left are...the whole defence looks garbage, ok we have buxton to bring in, but he can't play in every place/position...we have to accept that tommy spurr is a liability, and quite proberbly always will be. the two C/B's, if that's what they are, do not work together.

we have old men in midfield who everyone in the division sees cannot match (once inferior) players who are younger.

up front, we have excluding madine, forwards who cannot win a foot race over 5-10 or 15 yards, as for a 30+ yards run...i wouldn't mind betting they can't remember the last time they ran that distance. both mellor and morrison can barely get their feet off the ground to head in a cross...no the fact of the matter is, LAWS HAD SOME BAD PLAYERS DUE TO THE FINANCIAL SITUATION, IRVINE INHERITED THEM, AND ADDED TO WITH PLAYERS WHO COLLECTIVELY WERE TOO OLD, AND THEN BOUGHT SOME TRIPE IN THE T/F WINDOW, AND MEGSON COMES ALONG AND SOME THINK HE SHOULD GET US PLAYING LIKE THERE'S NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM...

Edited by dnhc