Lee Hughes

lets hope that any of your kids never do anything stupid...that goes for all of you...let him on here without sin cast the first stone...oh I forgot none of you ever fvcked up...unbelievable

My kids have done lots of stupid things and they'll no doubt do plenty more - so will I. But they would never leave a man to die, that I can be sure of.

Even from a purely footballing perspective, if Sheffield Wednesday blew £200,000 (plus his wages) on a League One striker in his mid-thirties, it would be an utterley bizzare transfer. We already have Clinton Morrison, Neil Mellor, Jermaine Johnson, Gary Madine and Paul Heffernan, who can all do the business up front; if one of them is off-form, we have plenty of options to come in.

But when you throw in the baggage that comes with his history, I can only come to one conclusion, he is not fit to wear the famous blue and white!

Sort it out Irvine! :rolleyes:

Guest Darkus Owlus

I don't usually post but am motivated to right now.

Whilst I accept that we live in a society where someone can do wrong, break the law, accept the consequences and have a second chance; I don't want that second chance to involve playing for Sheffield Wednesday. I could not applaud the successes of such a player - I could not enjoy a Lee Hughes goal, no matter what the significance of it, because of the actions that man took and the appalling disregard for the lives of others.

I don't go as often as a quite a few of the people on this board, but I do choose to put my money into the club, and if Lee Hughes signs I will choose not to. I couldn't bring myself to contribute, directly or indirectly, to his pay packet - so I wont.

I think the Chairman and Manager would be making a mistake by pursuing this because frankly, if Lee Hughes was the difference between the Championship and League One, I'd rather have League One.

You should post more often.

A short while ago the posters on here objected to the proposed new pink away strip because of its association with pigs and the obvious connotations. As a result James brought this to the attention of the relevant people at the club and the pink kit was withdrawn.

Perhaps James again could be the spokesperson for the fans and bring it to the attention of the relevant people that a large majority of our fans appear to put morality high on their list of priorities and don't want the club to pursue this player.

If you do this James can you also point out from me that we have plenty of strikers and our midfield is currently pants and needs rebuilding!

Thanks in anticipation.

Guest hoyland owl

we already have four strikers to play in the centre forwards position , mellor,morrison, madine,heffernan, five if you include j johnson

midfield is now what we should be concentrating on not considering buying a 34 year old striker lee hughes, waste of money in my opinion

if promotion is not gained this season alan irvine will no longer be the manager of sheffield wednesday but we will be stuck with lee hughes a striker that the majority of fans on owls talk do not want at the club

Its a really weird situation because its always been 'wednesday til I die' etc supporting the beloved owls. However, I think I speak for most here, it would feel very weird to cheer a man on for the crime and his actions whilst in prison. Football goes out of the window in situations like this, it would be so embarrasing to have such a player in the team, we'd be a mockery in football.

He should be living his life quietly on his own doing a down to earth job. Not entering the public eye and becoming a role model to youngsters. I can bet a few Notts County supporters of the young generation don't understand and instead pester for Hughes no.9 on the back of their teams shirt.

I have never cared to think about him until this speulation occured and upon thinking it I can conclude it would only do more damage then good. I don't want his face on our programme's or his name on our squadlist or him donning the stripes and walking out onto the pitch. He just doesnt deserve it.

I just couldn't cheer for the man however good a finisher he is. I'd rather have Franny up front. (never thoght id say that).

Lee do the right thing for everyone for once.

Edited by OwlTheEnchanter

Don't worry, I'm sure Irvine will be performing all the correct due diligence on the player's character.

I would love to know what due diligence is when it comes to Irvine's assessment of a footballer.

Clearly doesnt include CRB checks.

Can not believe this blokes name is being strongly linked with our club, massive disappointment,

I hate him, but he's never bothered me too much since he came back into football, mainly because he's normally been a division or 2 away from us, but this is just annoying, a real shame.

Guest MikeWithoutFear

First post, last post, a little story regarding Mr Hughes as told to me by a mate who is a Grimsby Town fan (poor kid) as the prospect of signing him has been bothering me all day.

Town were playing Notts County last year, and their fans were giving Hughes a bit of poo poo in much the same way we did earlier in the season. Hughes was stood by the touchline at the time.

He felt an appropriate response to the chant "Lee Hughes is a murderer" was to turn to the Town fans, hold out his hands, and mime driving a car.

Remorse? Learned his lesson? Served his time? Deserves a second chance?

We probably won't end up signing him, of course, and this is probably a lot of fuss about nowt - but the mere thought of Irvine making an enquiry about signing him has proper turned my stomach. If this is what we're going to do with Milan's millions then I'll be down Sandygate Road every other Saturday while Marlon King and Lee Hughes are banging 'em in for the Wednesday Mean Machine. No amount of goals and no promotion would be worth seeing Lee Hughes in a Sheffield Wednesday shirt.

It's not splitting hairs, it's about the issue of rehabilitation.

You seem to have in mind criteria for the process of rehabilitation and I asked you what that is.

That's all.

And as for wasting your time: why the precious attitude? You're on a football forum, ffs.

In reply - what Southport said...

To answer the second point first, it means not throwing people back on the street with no skills and no prospects and basically no route in life other than crime.

To answer your second point, I believe in rehabilitation for sportsmen if they break sporting rules; whilst I wouldn't let Dwain Chambers run in the Olympics, I have no problem with his representing Team GB in other events. However I do not believe that a crime of the magnitude of Hughes' is compatible with a job where potentially thousands of young children will want his name on their shirts or to sing a song for him. Hughes could very easily have quietly retired, retrained and be living a normal life out of the spotlight. That would be rehabilitation, the word does not mean getting your old job back.

Guest Manwithastick

Well bugger me with a fishfork. I've actually been doing some work away from my laptop for the last 30 hours or so, so this is the first i've seen this. I'll be honest, i thought the daftest thing i'd see today was the Elvis impersonator playing the guitar in

nowt but a pair of white y-fronts, a cowboy hat and sunglasses in St Pancras station!!

I'm not going into details but i have personal reasons for disliking what Lee Hughes did. I'm not asking for anyone else to agree with me and care not one jot if they do or don't. If SWFC sign him then i respectfully ask James to remove me from all

SWFC databases.

First post, last post, a little story regarding Mr Hughes as told to me by a mate who is a Grimsby Town fan (poor kid) as the prospect of signing him has been bothering me all day.

Town were playing Notts County last year, and their fans were giving Hughes a bit of poo poo in much the same way we did earlier in the season. Hughes was stood by the touchline at the time.

He felt an appropriate response to the chant "Lee Hughes is a murderer" was to turn to the Town fans, hold out his hands, and mime driving a car.

We probably won't end up signing him, of course, and this is probably a lot of fuss about nowt - but the mere thought of Irvine making an enquiry about signing him has proper turned my stomach. If this is what we're going to do with Milan's millions then I'll be down Sandygate Road every other Saturday while Marlon King and Lee Hughes are banging 'em in for the Wednesday Mean Machine. No amount of goals and no promotion would be worth seeing Lee Hughes in a Sheffield Wednesday shirt.

Was going to post my thoughts but this sums it up in a nutshell. Also, agree with the Baron's post re: the pink shirt getting pulled & the fact that this signing would anger a large section of our fanbase. It really is something that should be brought to MM's attention. We've just got rid of a player who was booed & even though he was a liability at times, he gave 100%. I don't want to see any Wednesday player to be booed but it will happen again if we sign Hughes.

Totally agree mate, the mere thought of Irvine signing him (and this was confirmed on footy heaven that he's interested) is utterly sickening.

I'm a season ticket holder and I don't think I could bring myself to watch Wednesday if we signed that thug, let alone cheer if he scored.

People's respect and faith in Irvine is diminishing rapidly too, Irvine made this big deal about making thorough background checks and bringing in the right personalities, then he considers signing Hughes... WHAT THE HELL IS HE THINKING?!!!

Edited by swfc-dan

Say what yu want about Hughesy. He knows where the net is. Even in a poor team lke notts county.

He will get goals there is no doubt about that. However, Peter Sutcliffe could possibly clear up the problem of prostitution on the streets of Sheffield. Would it be right and morally acceptable for Sheffield City Council to employ Sutcliffe to do that job if he was free to do so?

Sometimes other factors outweigh the end result. This man stood accused, was found guilty, and received a sentence of six years imprisonment for causing death by dangerous driving, along with the other charges of leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident. He admitted to police that he had drunk two Jack Daniels, had just a sip of a third and left a fourth untouched. This admission came about after bar staff and management at a pub called the Queen's Head and another nearby pub gave evidence that they had been serving him with double Jack Daniels and Coke prior to the incident. The jury heard evidence that he might have had three doubles in the first public house and more in the Poacher's Retreat, the second public house to which he went.

Evidence was put before the court to show that Hughes was driving "like a madman" doing 60mph on the wrong side of the road before hitting another car. It took Lee Hughes 36 hours to hand himself in to police, why was this? The judge commented at the time: "You clearly believed that if you had been breathalysed then you would have been over the limit."

Hughes ploughed his Mercedes coupe into another car near his home, killing a 56 year old father-of-four Douglas Graham, who was travelling in the back of the other car, Hughes then fled the scene on foot. Judge Christopher Hodson told our potential signing that he had showed a "callous disregard" for the victims by running away from the scene. Hughes left this man to face the consequences of his actions and to die without giving him a chance by calling for medical assistance, should your child therefore have the name of such scum across his beloved Owls shirt?

I wonder what Mr Graham's family, his wife, two sons and daughters would think about the possible signing of Hughes and the blood money we are negotiating with him. At the time of the killing Mr Graham's wife Maureen commented "Something has been taken away from my family that can never be replaced," she was also severely injured in the crash.

Some people say that Hughes has done his time, learnt his lesson and should be given another chance; he had been given just this prior to the killing. Hughes has a previous conviction for drink driving, obtained a few years before he chose to enjoy himself by drinking Jack Daniels and drive like an idiot resulting in the death of someone's husband and father.

No matter how many goals this man may score for us, it will not warrant or justify Hughes being handed the money I pay to Sheffield Wednesday; money I hand over to allow me, my family and friends to watch my team in a family environment. I never want people like this to be part of the club I love no matter how good he may be.