First Memory of Sheff Wed

Guest Paul Oxley

An away game, spur of the moment.

parents took me to Man City away.

Stood in the old Kippax it was 9 quid (no consessions) my dad moaned like flip!! lol

We won 3-1 I think and i'm sure Ryan Jones got one. (great player, shame he had such bad luck)

Can't be sure of the year but it was xmas time as we were singing "jingle bells"

I was at that game, sat in their mainstand right near the directors box. It was at a time of great upheaval in the city boardroom and then Franny Lee stood up as their new messiah during the second half, much to their delight

I know it wasn't my first game but my earliest memory is stood on the old terrace in front of the south stand watching a reserve game with my dad. This would be late 50's early 60's & I seem to recall that we won 14-0 or 14-1. Not sure of the opposition but Barnsley springs to mind.

Sorry for the vague detail but I would only be about 6 at the time & the old memory has not improved with age. Maybe somebody out there has the stats that might help.

Not my first game but my first clear memory. 1970 vs Everton. We lost 0-1 to an Alan Whittle goal. It was the first time I had seen Wednesday lose and I cried. Didn't realise at the time how I'd have to get used to the feeling....:-(

I think it was John Morrissey who scored. Everton went on to be champions and we were relegated, but at that match we absolutely murdered em but couldnt score. Similar to the one in 84/85

Sheffield Wednesday 0 - 0 Portsmouth, 1978/1979 Season.

I was 8 years old..couldn't understand why there wasn't any commentary like on the telly.

I really wanted to go, I think the week before there had been a game on 'match of the day' or something, and Jimmy Mullen had tipped a port vale shot over the bar and given away a penalty..you just don't see that anymore...I thought that was brilliant.

I must have been really badgering my dad to go to a game because my first ever match was at piggy lane the week before..

They lost 5-1 to Bolton.

My first memory was a telly game. - highlights when we played Leeds in an FA Cup in 1969 and beat them 3-1 at Elland Road. I think Brian Woodall scored 2. I was only 6 but my very bad grandparents who I was staying with let me stay up to watch it.

Leeds won the championship that year as well.

My first memory was a telly game. - highlights when we played Leeds in an FA Cup in 1969 and beat them 3-1 at Elland Road. I think Brian Woodall scored 2. I was only 6 but my very bad grandparents who I was staying with let me stay up to watch it.

Leeds won the championship that year as well.

I remember that game. I was 10. It was a mid-week game (replay) and it was on the telly at 10:30. Wednesday were losing 1-0 and my elder brother turned the TV off because 'he knew' they would lose. He was pretty pissed off and being mardy. (Nothings changed).

My father was on afternoons and when he came in from work he was amazed that we weren't watching the highlights. My brother told him it was a waste of time 'as he knew that we would have lost'.

He then told us the result. Can't remember if we got to watch the remainder.

Don't forget in those days there was no teletext, internet, skysports etc. If you were lucky they might mention the score on the regional news at 10:30 with it being a mid week game. Quite often you didn't know how they had gone on until the next days newspapers.

People used to go the reserve games because the electronic scoreboard carried the latest score of the first team. Done that a few times as a kid in the Leppings Lane end.

Remember pictures of Woodall on his kness on the back of the Daily Mirror the next day. (In those days the Sun was about a day behind when it came to sport).

Guest cedtheowl

The match against Spurs, Tyto, also saw the debut of Doug Witcomb who was signed from West Brom.

I had been prepared for my first visit to Hillsborough by my father and grandfather. My grandparents lived on Parson Cross Road. My grandad had an allotment nearby.When Wednesday won he flew a Union Jack on his greenhouse. His elder son, my uncle, played one or two games for the Owls in 1919.

Programmes cost one penny.On the front was printed: Match played at The Wednesday Ground. I liked that.

By the time I was 12 I was attending every first team and reserve match. In good weather we used to sit on the steps of the Kop during reserve games. Wednesday's score was displayed on the scoreboard at the Leppings Lane end every 15 minutes. If they were winning or drawing at 75 minutes, I either had to wait for the full time score to come through or walk home to Longley Lane hoping that nothing had gone wrong. It often had.

I have so many memories Tyto. Hope this is of interest. If it is, let me know and I'll post again.

I think it was John Morrissey who scored. Everton went on to be champions and we were relegated, but at that match we absolutely murdered em but couldnt score. Similar to the one in 84/85

It was Morrisey who scored.

Everton had already won the championship. I remember the scoreboard on the kop had the Owls v the Champions on it throughout the game.

It was Morrisey who scored.

Everton had already won the championship. I remember the scoreboard on the kop had the Owls v the Champions on it throughout the game.

You've got me perplexed now then. I'm pretty sure Whittle scored the goal in the game I saw - perhaps it was even earier than 1970....

If it was that game then I have to apologise to Mr Whittle for the years of hatred I've harboured for him. And start making up for 40 years of hate of Bloody Morrisey the bugger!

My first match was Paulo Di Canio pushing the referee.

I was sat right near the front of the south stand and I had a teriffic view and it was hillarious.

I remember Lee Briscoe scored a cracker in that game and Kevin Pressman was brilliant

On Saturdays, watching the number 4 bus pass my Nan's window on Shiregreen Lane and wondering why everyone on it was wearing blue and white.

First memory of Hillsborough - That magnificent set of six, perfectly formed floodlights.

Debut season - 1973/74.

Guest York Owl

My first memory was 69-70 season when we played Liverpool and drew 0-0 (I think) I can remember been sat in North Stand and loads of cushions were thrown on to pitch towards end of game, I think it was because we had a goal disallowed.

Haa.. Just found this..

Sat 30 Aug LIVERPOOL............... 1-1 18 33,600 Alan Warboys

My first game also, stood on the kop with my old man. Still remember to this day of being awestruck by the sheer size of the ground and the atmosphere. Could still see the players in my head for days after, guess you say I kept having flashbacks.

Remember sitting regularly in the south stand soon after this, the smell of tobacco and bovril and the PA system playing Edison lighthouse (Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes) and (Young, Gifted And Black) by Bob & Marcia will always be my first abiding memories as well as Tommy Craig, Gerry Young, Alan Warboys, Tony Coleman, Graham Pugh, Peter Grummitt, Vic Mobley etc

Halcyon days

Guest Distraught!

My earliest memory was reading this thread just now - I am only 7 months old.

That's handy!

If you are a tad premature, may you be born just in time to see the mighty Dag & Red at Hillsborough.

1st memory related to wednesday was seeing SWFC written in chalk on a pub wall in Creswell. I suppose It would have been around 1972-73 as I used to walk past the pub on the way to the infant school every day. Remember asking my dad what it meant and he told me. Didn't start going to games till 1981 when i had moved near to Dinnington, but the seed had been planted in 72-73biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif