First Memory of Sheff Wed

Guest Paul Oxley

Guest Paul Oxley

Don't know why but i was thinking about my first memory of Sheffield Wednesday the other day, it was the F.A. cup semi final v Brighton in 83! typical of Wednesday we should have won the game but lost to a cracker of a free kick by Jimmy Case, i ran up stairs and hid under the bed at the final whistle i was 9 years old and gutted...........

My Dad was bouncing me up and down on his knee, and I wasn't sure whether he was laughing or crying.

It was 1966, I was 3 years old. Until very recently I had always believed that this was England winning the world cup, but it came up in a conversation recently when I was looking at some old photo's with my mum, and she said it was Wednesday v Everton in the FA cup final. She says we were on holiday in Blackpool when we won the world cup.

The next season I went to see Wed 1 - 1 Rotherham at Hillsborough I think.....and fell asleep during the second half......very hazy memories of shiny blue paint, the smell of deep heat and cigars.......Wednesday in their blue shirts with white sleeves.

An away game, spur of the moment.

parents took me to Man City away.

Stood in the old Kippax it was 9 quid (no consessions) my dad moaned like flip!! lol

We won 3-1 I think and i'm sure Ryan Jones got one. (great player, shame he had such bad luck)

Can't be sure of the year but it was xmas time as we were singing "jingle bells"

My first game was 1985/86 season and AughtonOwl (my brother) told me about the tunnel you walked through to get on the Kop.

Can't remember anything about the game, another memory was being allowed to run along the bottom of the Kop when we got a penalty to celebrate.

Guest surfinjim

1975 v Cardiff. Stood on the Leppings Lane end, probably in the Triangle with my dad and my grandad.

My brother fell asleep against one of the barriers.

We lost.

Seem to remember Eric Potts hair though as well!

Jim

Guest domSWFC

When we played Man Ure and Hillsborough back when Beckham was just getting noticed for them... I think we won that one quite comfortably aswell... was quite long ago so I'm probably wrong, but I seem to think is was 3-1 to us? Smeichle was poo witch goal kicks that day, half went out for a throw in.

When we played Man Ure and Hillsborough back when Beckham was just getting noticed for them... I think we won that one quite comfortably aswell... was quite long ago so I'm probably wrong, but I seem to think is was 3-1 to us? Smeichle was poo witch goal kicks that day, half went out for a throw in.

That was the game Ferguson threw a chair at Stam or something.

I gave up my ticket for our Lee that game! :angry:

Guest bradford owl

cant remeber the year but was spurs at home and waddle was class,my mam and dad took me and my brother but was too expensive for us all to go in so dad payed for me and bro and he and mam waited in car.

Mr granadad was a welder and worked in sheffield and was told to pick a club blades or owls, he chose owls and the rest is history. UTO

Guest ginnerowl

My older brother Paul had been going to Hilsboro for a few months and took me in about January 1980 and we beat Rotherham 5-0 (I think!)

I remember thinking that this normal and would be the score every week. How wrong I was!!!!!!!!!!!

My older brother Paul had been going to Hilsboro for a few months and took me in about January 1980 and we beat Rotherham 5-0 (I think!)

I remember thinking that this normal and would be the score every week. How wrong I was!!!!!!!!!!!

1956 (I think) versus Lincoln City at Hillsborough. Can't remember anything about the game itself, although I think we won 5 - 2. What I do remember was the biggest crowd of people I'd ever seen, and (as they used to do in those days) being passed down to the front of the Kop, over everybody's heads, then after the game getting taken home on my uncles shoulders.

The start of a long, and (more often than not) turbulent, love affair with the Owls.