First Memory of Sheff Wed

Guest Paul Oxley

Guest East_Dene_Owl

My first memory was 69-70 season when we played Liverpool and drew 0-0 (I think) I can remember been sat in North Stand and loads of cushions were thrown on to pitch towards end of game, I think it was because we had a goal disallowed.

Haa.. Just found this..

Sat 30 Aug LIVERPOOL............... 1-1 18 33,600 Alan Warboys

Edited by East_Dene_Owl

My first memory was 69-70 season when we played Liverpool and drew 0-0 (I think) I can remember been sat in North Stand and loads of cushions were thrown on to pitch towards end of game, I think it was because we had a goal disallowed.

Haa.. Just found this..

Sat 30 Aug LIVERPOOL............... 1-1 18 33,600 Alan Warboys

Warboys drives a lorry for a living now. Delivers scaffolding, building materials etc. Really decent bloke and very modest too (although to be fair, he has a lot to be modest about).

Guest Mossy

The highlights of us losing to paLace 1-0 on match of the day in 94/95

Edited by Mossy

Not my first game but my first clear memory. 1970 vs Everton. We lost 0-1 to an Alan Whittle goal. It was the first time I had seen Wednesday lose and I cried. Didn't realise at the time how I'd have to get used to the feeling....:-(

Not my first game but my first clear memory. 1970 vs Everton. We lost 0-1 to an Alan Whittle goal. It was the first time I had seen Wednesday lose and I cried. Didn't realise at the time how I'd have to get used to the feeling....:-(

14 days after that I played against Alan Whittle's brother in a junior Army Cup Final i was supposed to be marking him but hardly had a kick until the last 10 mins when I scored twice with headers from two consecutive corners to win 2-1

Thogh it's somewhat hazy now 52 years on my first memory is of Tommy Macanearney putting away a penalty at the Leppings lane end for a 1-1 draw against Preston or Bolton I think. My first crystal memory is of pulling on my fathers hand as we walked down Leppings Lane in the 1960-61 season. Greaves was in the line up for Chelsea, tho he was n't so famous then. The Wednesday were riding high having ended Spurs 11 game winning start to the season in front of a capacity crowd. "comed on dad" I yelled as we rounded Leppings Lane on to the riverside where the old terrace gates were. The terrace was the posh standing area which was a few pence more than the Kop or Leppings lane end.... It was turned 3pm as we got into the Terrace turnstyle queue and strangely quiet.......click, click, click thro the turnstyle and half lifted over by my Dad, Yeah it was free then until you got rediculously too big !....Through the narrow tunnell.............A glance towards the old Leppings Lane scoreboard Horror Horror Horror the score board read H 0 V 2 ah no "Dad 2 nowt down to Chelsea I thought you said they were rubbish" ? My Dad said something about not being able to win all the time....That was no consolation in my entire young life they had never lost whilst performing for me. Steadily he lead me to the front and stood me up on the railings. No big issues then regarding crowd segregation, crowd troubles was still 4 or 5 years away; Though I do recall we smaller kids were constantly reminded not to let our fragile legs poke through the railings as a ball struck venomously would be likely to break a youngsters leg. So from 2-0 down they did not let me down and came back to win comfortably 5-3. It turned out to be a fabulous intoductary season the highlight of which was my first away match a cup replay against Man U (following a 2-2 Hillsborough draw) at Old Trafford which we lead 4-1 at half time to come home with a 7-2 victory under our hats. We gfinished League runners up that first full season and got cheated out of a cup final appearance in the semi at Main Road. I thought it was always going to be like this, there have been many highlights since that I would never have missed. But, for pure consistancy my first season was the best....

First memory of Wednesday and Hillsborough itself was being sat in my car baby seat probably around 1992-93, my dad walking back to the car from the ticket office looking gutted because the match sold out.

Remember being a toddler too when my dad would come back from matches and my mum would get me to wind him up by shouting "Sheffield United!" :ohmy: but before anyone gets child services onto her she's an owl too, was just a sick sence of humour :blink:

Was never really bothered over football at school, played a bit at Dinner time not really knowing what I was doing, then one day when I was around 5 years old so 96-97, I was Taken to Hillsborough with my Dad and older Brother. My memories from the match are of having no idea what was happening on the pitch, very angry men jumping up quite a lot (me copying so I looked like I knew what was happening), the oppo playing in yellow, and walking back through the park thinking we'd won when my brother informed me we'd actually lost 2-1.

Was taken quite a lot from then on, witnessing some great matches, 3-1 and 2-0 against man utd, The di canio Arsenal match, 3-3 Liverpool with the Owen hattrick, do I remember any of them? No! First match I remembered with full clarity and knew had hooked me to Wednesday for life, 4-0 against Leicester, one week after we'd been relegated :rolleyes: Hopefully I'll appreciate and remember the good times slightly more when they eventually come back around.

Man Ure away I think. Penultimate match of season 1969 (?) MU 2-0 up but Owls came back with goals from Jack Whitam (I think) then a 20-yarder from Tommy Craig. Following match after that was the farcical Man City home match that sent them down......Nice to know how you mean to go on being an owl!

Guest Mekalion

Cant remember the game,

Cant remember the score,

Can just remember Regi Blinker while been sat on the kop with a bag of chips!

My memory may be wrong, but it tells me it was at home to liverpool around 84. Think we drew 1-1. I remember walking into the stadium and seeing more people in one place than I ever had before and being a little intimidated - I was about 5 mind.

cant remember the game but sat with my dad aged 6 in 1969 , in the south stand I was amased how many wednesday fans there were on the kop. I went to a school full of blades and I just assumed there was very few of my kind

My first game was a 7-1 win over QPR in the 86-87 season....I can't remeber much about it other than the score and being disappointed that Wednesday didn't fall into a habit of scoring 7 afterwards :biggrin:

....can remember my 2nd game that season...4-2 defeat against Man Utd, and being in awe of a full Hillsborough...almost certain the attendance was over 40k

Guest YorkOwl89

97/98 season, at home to wimbledon, i was sat with me dad right at the top of the kop behind the band, coudnt see a thing and coudnt hear a thing. We scored after 10 mins, Mark Pembridge goal cant remember who equalised for the Dons.

I remember going on a tour of Hillsborough with my primary school. We went to the club shop and I tried to buy a pin badge of Lee Chapman because my old man kept saying he had a face like a bag of spanners and I thought it would be funny to get him a badge. However they didn't have any Lee Chapman badges so I got a different one instead and to this day I have no idea who it is, I will have to dig it out one day and stick it on here, what a thread that will be.

So I suppose my first Sheffield Wednesday memorey is of my dad saying Lee Chapman has got a face like a bag of spanners but that comment didn't really have any context until the ground tour.