Jose Semedo

I like him for that Iconic photo against the Blades..no runnin' around kissin' the badge...just sorta Knelt there ..you could see it really mattered....

I think that's one of the iconic images in Sheffield Wednesday history.

I'm a big believer that "legend" status shouldn't be tied to player ability. I think Lee Bullen is very much a Wednesday legend despite not being on the same planet ability wise as Hirst, Waddle etc. Semedo isn't far off achieving the same, for me. That photo is absolutely his moment in the same way Bullen sat with the trophy and the Carlsbergs was his in 2005.

Semedo had some grief from the gobshiyt that sits behind me at beginning of season. Usual bile from the tool. He stopped slagging Semedo well before xmas after a few people got the hump with him, now Nuhui cops for his hatred. I'm beginning to think this guy could actually be Jihadi John. No one can hate a person this much surely.

The Cardiff game was an example of what semedo offers.

Breaks up play, is fit, strong and most of all doesn't fly in and pick up bookings.

True, he doesn't offer much going forward but with McGugan in the team he can afford to do the dirty work and let McGugan do the playmaker role.

I know this sounds like a veiled dig at Hutchinson but I love him too, I just think Semedo is more reliable in that holding position.

You have the give Semedo a lot of credit right now.

Hutchinson came back from injury in January. Melo signed on deadline day, really highly thought of. But Jose's worked himself to first choice in that position.

I've always liked him as a defensive midfielder, but i never thought he was capable of stepping up another gear at the age of 30. He's quality, and i hope he keeps it up for a few years to come.

Be interesting to see what happens with Melo - not really featured so far and have a feeling he will go out an loan with a view to a permanent transfer next season.

Don't think he was a Gray signing and not sure why he is here TBH

Don't think he was a Gray signing and not sure why he is here TBH

Because he's the kind of signing that moves our club onto the next level, he's of a good age, tall, strong, good tackler, excellent reader of the game, sharp across the ground to break up play, captain of a midtable Portuguese league team and had stand out games against a number of the bigger Portuguese teams. if he wasn't a Gray signing then Gray should not be in charge of recruitment.

If true his cousin confirmed on Instagram that Gray signed him primarily with an eye to next season onwards.

Because he's the kind of signing that moves our club onto the next level, he's of a good age, tall, strong, good tackler, excellent reader of the game, sharp across the ground to break up play, captain of a midtable Portuguese league team and had stand out games against a number of the bigger Portuguese teams. if he wasn't a Gray signing then Gray should not be in charge of recruitment.

If true his cousin confirmed on Instagram that Gray signed him primarily with an eye to next season onwards.

Makes perfect sense. Melo is Hutchinson's long term replacement isn't he?

Will make a good pairing with Semedo next year.

In my opinion!

Makes perfect sense. Melo is Hutchinson's long term replacement isn't he?

Will make a good pairing with Semedo next year.

In my opinion!

I'm loathe to give my thoughts as this is the pro-Semedo thread, and rightly so he deserves praise, however, longer term, assuming we sign McGugan (or a forward thinking AM of his ilk) I can see Melo and McGugan being the midfield 2 when we're playing two central with Semedo on the bench to be brought on in classic Mourihno/Obi Mikel style in the latter stages to help us close up the game, and/or for those matches where we go with a central 3 it'd then be McGugan/Melo/Semedo.

Have always admired Semedo for his work rate and for his reading fn the game. he seems to insinctively know when a threat is developing. One thing I always had against Semi was that his final pass always seemed to be sideways and not forward.During the last couple of home games (I can't get to aways unfortunately) he seems to have developed a moore attacking side to his game, undoubtably inspired by McGugan. This I feel is good.

Showing my age, I feel that Semedo is developing into a form of of one of my all-time favourites and a great servant - Gerry Young. This I can only applaud.

Last season and the start of this season I was really worried he wasn't good enough for this level and was too limited, I was worried because I love the man so much I didn't want to see him leave.

But this season he has really stepped up to the plate and been so so important for us. First name on the teamsheet at the moment.