Boro fan's opinion of the Reach and Rhodes transfers

Just had a chat with a work colleague who lives up in the NE and has a season ticket at Boro. Specifically we chatted about the Reach and Rhodes transfers.

Reach - he stated that Reach was very good in the Championship for Boro and he felt he was the best crosser of a ball at the club when he left for us.  Consensus appears to be we probably paid a little too much in transfer fee including possible add ins, but still a good young player. I appreciate that many Wednesday fans have a differing opinion, but don't shoot the messenger. Personally I still think Reach could become a very good player for us.

Rhodes - Boro fans genuinely like him both as a player and as a bloke. For reasons unknown he was never really given a chance this season having only had one PL start. Only real weakness being a little lacking in pace for PL, but should have been given more opportunity and assuming Boro go back down he says fans hoping Boro have option not to sell to us.  He also says fans very impressed how kind JR has been about Boro despite being pretty poorly treated by the club.

As for Boro, he like other Boro fans I have spoken to, feels they are destined for relegation and that Karanka is too defensive. 

As for Wednesday, he feels if the play offs were decided now we have the quality which could get us promotion despite being in sixth spot. I agree fully with his appraisal tbh.

Jordan is a gent and a professional. That has become clear while he has been with us. I think there is no doubt that of his quality at championship level. The question always was, why haven't Premier teams come in for him? Perhaps he was over priced, or perhaps he lacks a bit of pace. Sadly for him even when he found himself at a premmie club he didn't get much of a chance it seems.

Reach seems to have been popular at both borough and at Preston in the Championship. He probably was over priced but it was our need and the timing that perhaps justified paying over the odds.

On thing that perhaps mitigates the possible overspend is his versatility and willingness. I think we have a good young player with plenty of potential and is currently contributing a lot to the club.

I am glad they are both here.

Karanka has never been particularly well like by Boro fans from what I gather. A pretty vocal minority wanted him gone last year before they got promoted and it's only gotten louder. He was never going to keep them up and I think that's crystal clear now.

42 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Just had a chat with a work colleague who lives up in the NE and has a season ticket at Boro. Specifically we chatted about the Reach and Rhodes transfers.

Reach - he stated that Reach was very good in the Championship for Boro and he felt he was the best crosser of a ball at the club when he left for us.  Consensus appears to be we probably paid a little too much in transfer fee including possible add ins, but still a good young player. I appreciate that many Wednesday fans have a differing opinion, but don't shoot the messenger. Personally I still think Reach could become a very good player for us.

Rhodes - Boro fans genuinely like him both as a player and as a bloke. For reasons unknown he was never really given a chance this season having only had one PL start. Only real weakness being a little lacking in pace for PL, but should have been given more opportunity and assuming Boro go back down he says fans hoping Boro have option not to sell to us.  He also says fans very impressed how kind JR has been about Boro despite being pretty poorly treated by the club.

As for Boro, he like other Boro fans I have spoken to, feels they are destined for relegation and that Karanka is too defensive. 

As for Wednesday, he feels if the play offs were decided now we have the quality which could get us promotion despite being in sixth spot. I agree fully with his appraisal tbh.

All very positive! I like Reach; he has lots of skill and pace, and is always committed. I think he has been unfairly scapegoated by some fans, along with Fletcher. Rhodes will score goals for us - simple as that, really! I think we will make the playoffs, but it's a lottery from then onwards.

Jordan Rhodes is pure class on and off the pitch, and exactly the right fit for Sheffield Wednesday. Have my doubts about Reach, can't see him ever fitting into the team with the competition we have for places.

Edited by bluemagic

I don't think Rhodes is a bad player but basically a run of the mill Championship wide player. The reported fee of £5m is over priced but think Boro were in a good negotiating position being end of transfer window and knowing we needed a plyer in his position.

Rhodes is a very ordinary player outside the box but if given half decent service knows where the net is better then anyone outside the Premier League.

Thought reach was excellent when he came on last night, ran the channels well and put in some brilliant crosses. Admittedly it's the fist time I've seen it since he signed, but it shows he's got it in is locker.       UTO 

In Dave Richards we had a chairman who spent big money that we didn't actually have, on players that we couldn't afford. Conversally Dejphon Chansiri is spending big money that he can afford to spend, on good players that he wants to buy, what has the cost got to do with the supporters? If he gets together with his cousin and they pool their respective resources the current spending could be peanuts.

33 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

In Dave Richards we had a chairman who spent big money that we didn't actually have, on players that we couldn't afford. Conversally Dejphon Chansiri is spending big money that he can afford to spend, on good players that he wants to buy, what has the cost got to do with the supporters? If he gets together with his cousin and they pool their respective resources the current spending could be peanuts.

Dont mention Dave Richards :duntmatter: