Boro fan's opinion of the Reach and Rhodes transfers

Rhodes does what Rhodes does. He just knows where to be and what to do when he gets there. Surely he'd be just as lethal in the box in whatever league he played in.

I think Reach is very low on confidence.  I agree he improved, but when he first came on he looked very nervous and didn't seem to want the ball

3 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

As if one Boro fan can summarise what all Boro fans think!

Can you imagine one of us trying to speak for all Wednesday fans????

lol

youd need to be Jekyll, Hyde, Bart-Williams and Siggi Jonsson all at the same time.

When did Jekyll play for us. Fecked if I can remember him lol 

7 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Jordan is a gent and a professional. That has become clear while he has been with us. I think there is no doubt that of his quality at championship level. The question always was, why haven't Premier teams come in for him? Perhaps he was over priced, or perhaps he lacks a bit of pace. Sadly for him even when he found himself at a premmie club he didn't get much of a chance it seems.

Reach seems to have been popular at both borough and at Preston in the Championship. He probably was over priced but it was our need and the timing that perhaps justified paying over the odds.

On thing that perhaps mitigates the possible overspend is his versatility and willingness. I think we have a good young player with plenty of potential and is currently contributing a lot to the club.

I am glad they are both here.

Anyone remember Nigel Worthington?? Reach reminds me a lot of Nigel, not very good in the air, a good pro that would do the best he can wherever he's asked to play, but not really an out and out winger or left back either, but willing and gives you a shift. 

6 hours ago, bluemagic said:

Jordan Rhodes is pure class on and off the pitch, and exactly the right fit for Sheffield Wednesday. Have my doubts about Reach, can't see him ever fitting into the team with the competition we have for places.

Reach has so far played left back, left wing, striker, right wing.

See what my argument might be about why he may not be offering consistent performances thus far?

16 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

In Dave Richards we had a chairman who spent big money that we didn't actually have, on players that we couldn't afford. Conversally Dejphon Chansiri is spending big money that he can afford to spend, on good players that he wants to buy, what has the cost got to do with the supporters? If he gets together with his cousin and they pool their respective resources the current spending could be peanuts.

What about ticket prices? One of the reasons given these are high is so we can afford good players. FFP and all that.

To be fair,a Boro did well to offload Rhodes at that price. There was only us who were prepared to stump up that sort of money Ditto Reach Not great negotiating from our point of view, they wanted rid, and no other takers, so for Boro to get that sort of money, is quite unbelievable 

33 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To be fair,a Boro did well to offload Rhodes at that price. There was only us who were prepared to stump up that sort of money Ditto Reach Not great negotiating from our point of view, they wanted rid, and no other takers, so for Boro to get that sort of money, is quite unbelievable 

How do you know who wanted Rhodes and Reach?

How do you know what the club paid to acquire them?

Your guess work and assumptions are quite unbelievable!

36 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Ditto Reach Not great negotiating from our point of view, they wanted rid, and no other takers, so for Boro to get that sort of money, is quite unbelievable 

Quite the opposite. Our need for a player like Reach was far greater than 'boro's need to get rid of him. He could have gone back to Preston or another club quite easily if we had not been interested.

1 hour ago, OxonOwl said:

Quite the opposite. Our need for a player like Reach was far greater than 'boro's need to get rid of him. He could have gone back to Preston or another club quite easily if we had not been interested.

Preston offered £1-2m for him, according to the press

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

How do you know who wanted Rhodes and Reach?

How do you know what the club paid to acquire them?

Your guess work and assumptions are quite unbelievable!

Nobody knows for absolute fact, about most things discussed on this board. Given that those were the figures quoted in the press, granted not always accurate, my assumptions seem quite reasonable

18 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't think Rhodes is a bad player but basically a run of the mill Championship wide player. The reported fee of £5m is over priced but think Boro were in a good negotiating position being end of transfer window and knowing we needed a plyer in his position.

Rhodes is a very ordinary player outside the box but if given half decent service knows where the net is better then anyone outside the Premier League.

Did you not that header out wide in the first half around the Centre spot on Tuesday? It's been years since I've seen one of our forwards do that and it was far from ordinary.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Nobody knows for absolute fact, about most things discussed on this board. Given that those were the figures quoted in the press, granted not always accurate, my assumptions seem quite reasonable

Our own manager has said the quoted figures are way off the mark.

Just to re-iterate, that's WAY off the mark.

And the press didn't quote figures, they made them up to no doubt generate interest in their articles.

If you're going to form an opinion based on the fee we paid, might be worth taking into account what Carlos says and base your opinion on a more realistic figure?

Reach put in some excellent crosses Tuesday night shame nobody could get on the end of them but shows he can do it needs to be left on the wing rather than shipped back to lb all the time .... Rhodes will only score goals for us needs the service unfortunately we don't have the players to provide that maybe when hooper is back we may see something different time will only tell uto