Conor Hourihane

Do Villa really want Cairney, Lansbury, Guardioura and Hourihane?

They will have a lot of players on very high wages that will be difficult to move on (sound familiar?)

They're also linked with Brady. To get all of these targets would cost about £28 million, and they're already ten points off the play-offs.

As for CH I'll trust DC's judgement but the wages seem very steep unless we're planning to offload someone, which I think is unlikely.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

2 hours ago, debram said:

hes defo been to hillsborough, maybe not official as in signing/fees etc but hes been.

The guy who was leaking info about Winnall before anywhere emsaid Winnall came for talks on the Tuesday. Hourihane was in on Wednesday but clearly we didn't agree terms.

Since then the whole of tarn have thrown a wobble & Barnsley no longer playing ball. Simples.

5 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Do Villa really want Cairney, Lansbury, Guardioura and Hourihane?

They will have a lot of players on very high wages that will be difficult to move on (sound familiar?)

They're also linked with Brady. To get all of these targets would cost about £28 million, and they're already ten points off the play-offs.

As for CH I'll trust DC's judgement but the wages seem very steep unless we're planning to offload someone, which I think is unlikely.

McGugan has been the subject of a 30m bid from China 

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

A couple we have signed who ARE experienced at this level , Jones and Abdi, have hardly pulled any trees up. 

Its a gamble, yes, but he shown in half a season that he has what it takes at this level. 

Hi S36,Yes I agree about Jones and Abdi but if now might be the time for them to step up. Abdi would at least get a chance in his best position.

I think my reservation is this, if Lee was fit we probably wouldn't need Hourihane. So if we are signing Hourihane it must be that we are going for it this year. Whether we get promoted will probably be down to the lottery that is known as the play offs.

If we get promoted Hourihane might not be good enough for the Premiership but we will have signed him on big wages and might not be able to sell him easily. If we don't get promoted Lee will be back and I think he's better than Hourihane so we will have signed a back up on top wages.

May be I'm overthinking it. It wouldn't be the first time. If we were paying wages at a level where we could move him on if need be I'd go for it, but £28k?

If we do sign him he will have my full support and I will be praying he proves me wrong. If that happens feel free to refer back to these posts and rub my nose in it.

16 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

Trust in DC, after all, it's his money and I feel confident he won't wan't to waste it...

I can't help feeling there's going to be a bit of a twist in our transfers this break..

Remember the wink he gave one of ours ?...

If DC delivers big that wink becomes Owls folklore and the stuff of legend. lol

13 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Oh really. 

In the end, the local journalists are all we have to go on. I mean it's their job to discover this type of information, and I assume they have access to contacts and information which we don't. All of them have repeatedly quoted the wages of Fletcher, Forestieri and Hooper at one time or another, especially during Forrestergate at the beginning of the season. For instance, Fletcher's wage of £40K-per-week is credible, based on the fact that he came on a free and he's ex-PL. I suppose it comes down to whether you believe the journos or not.

3 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Unless he categorically tells Barnsley he wants to sign for us I just don't see them selling another player to us. I think it would have been a double deal if so.

Business is business. I'm sure Chansiri isn't too worried about the sentiments Barnsley feel when selling players to us. If he wants to bid for a player, he will do so regardless of who the player plays for - whether it be Accrington Stanley, Juve or Barnsley. Barnsley don't have much choice. If the player refuses to sign a new contract, they have to sell him or risk losing him for nothing. 

3 minutes ago, prowl said:

Hi S36,Yes I agree about Jones and Abdi but if now might be the time for them to step up. Abdi would at least get a chance in his best position.

I think my reservation is this, if Lee was fit we probably wouldn't need Hourihane. So if we are signing Hourihane it must be that we are going for it this year. Whether we get promoted will probably be down to the lottery that is known as the play offs.

If we get promoted Hourihane might not be good enough for the Premiership but we will have signed him on big wages and might not be able to sell him easily. If we don't get promoted Lee will be back and I think he's better than Hourihane so we will have signed a back up on top wages.

May be I'm overthinking it. It wouldn't be the first time. If we were paying wages at a level where we could move him on if need be I'd go for it, but £28k?

If we do sign him he will have my full support and I will be praying he proves me wrong. If that happens feel free to refer back to these posts and rub my nose in it.

TBF If we get to the Prem. we won't give a pooh about our existing transfers or their cost's...

remember, "first we build for promotion, then we build for the Premier League"..

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

I'd like to see Abdi in there too, but it's unlikely. Abdi is a very good player, but he doesn't have Lee's energy and mobility. I think Carlos' plan was to play Abdi in the middle and drop Hutch back into defence. Now Hutch is a permanent fixture in midfield Carlos will go for a Lee-type player, and he obviously thinks Hourihane fits the bill. And it'll be a sizeable bill, if reports are anything to go by.

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

I just think if there are two offers on the table they will take the other one.

It will be very annoying if we miss out on him due to wages though, the lad is a quality player and we are paying out I guess at over 100k a week on players that just don't play 

Bin of Mcgugan, Nuhui, Urby and Dilena would more than pay his wage. Easier said than done though 

It also very much depends on the players personal preference. If Barnsley accept an off from Villa but the player chooses not to sign, then it's deal off. 

I personally don't think he will sign for Villa. Unlikely to get much game time and it's unlikely they'll go up this season. 

3 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

I just think if there are two offers on the table they will take the other one.

When there is only a limited time left on the players contract the decision becomes the players...

After all he could just say feck it I don't want to go there and sit on his existing contract untill it expires and then his "current" club will get nowt...

17 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Villa have put McCormack and Jordan Ayew up for sale to bring in funds, but I feel Lansbury and Cairney are bigger targets for them than Hourihane. Guedioura is a different sort of player, he'll compete with Jedinak and Westwood for a holding midfield role.

Really? They've transfer listed McCormack and Ayew?

6 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

I personally think he will just see his contract out and see what he has on offer in the summer. It could still be us obviously. 

Apart from we want him to help our promotion push, if we manage it without him we will no longer need him and he can then rot in Oakwelll...