Stevie May

Strikers rely on service and unfortunately none of them are currently getting any.

He is being forced to drop deep just to get a touch of the ball and that unfortunately, from what I've seen, doesn't play to his strengths.

He's best playing on the shoulder of the defenders but there's not enough quality within the squad to provide the service. The forwards at the moment are relying on aimless hoofs of which only Nuhiu is at least capable of dealing with.

If I'm understanding you right Liam, what you're actually saying is that Milan should get his foooooking wallet out?

If I'm understanding you right Liam, what you're actually saying is that Milan should get his foooooking wallet out?

It would help.

That isn't going to happen though. Milan wants to leave and spend the least amount possible.

He sees the club at the moment as being "OK". Therefore spending won't be needed unless the club has a real decline in results.

It would help.

That isn't going to happen though. Milan wants to leave and spend the least amount possible.

He sees the club at the moment as being "OK". Therefore spending won't be needed unless the club has a real decline in results.

Bloody hell Liam.

I've just realised you might be right.

I think you're on to something with that.

he's better than Madine though isn't he.

Let's be honest, we don't have a single top quality striker at the club at the moment.

Top quality strikers not only look the part but score goals too.

Lavery, when fit, and whatshisname from the development squad, are our best hopes for the years ahead, unless we stop shopping in Home Bargains

I posted the below post the other week about May and I stand by it. I believe my point about May playing better if he spent more time occupying the box (rather than chasing everything wasting energy and being out of position when his teammates have the ball) was proved today when May took up the position in 'the hole' when Nuhiu came on.

He's not been terrible but, by the same token, he's not been great. 7 or 8 games is not enough time to judge him but, let's be honest, May is benefitting from his "honeymoon period" with the fans at this point in time. We know he's scored goals in Scotland and we are hoping he can translate that to English football, however, that might not happen. Football is littered with players that have been brilliant in one country and failed in others - it happens.

OwlsTalkers make ridiculous statements like "May's runs and movement are too intelligent for the rest of the team" but that's not the team's issue, it's May's and its him that needs to adjust if the team can't spot his runs. OwlsTalkers also make ridiculous claims like "May will come good" or "May will score the goals" but we don't know that. What we do know is that he has the potential and that he has time on his side. We can't blame everybody else for any of May's faults and we can't assume that he'll come good - whether by magic or by the return of Lee and/or Hutchinson to the team. May is "feeding off scraps" but that's not the entire reason we haven't seen the best of him yet.

My take on May is that:

- He has the potential and its his, Stuart Gray's and Gray's management team's responsibility to realise that potential - it's not the responsibility of May's teammates

- He spends too much time and wastes energy chasing down the opposition players. He chases "lost causes" and finds himself out of position at times. This could be an instruction from SG

- He lacks pace. This needn't be an issue. Many forwards haven't/don't have pace; they find ways to counter this

- He gets barged off the ball too often. It appears that May has already been "found out" in this respect and he gets barged off the ball in every game now

- His movement and ability when on the ball is good and he can work himself a position to attempt a shot at goal

- He has the ability to make the run into space to make a chance

- He appears to be determined

- It's appears that he has the tools that a goalscorer needs - two-footed, heading ability, timing and calmness

I've said before and I'll say again that May should spend more time in and around the 18 yard box. He needs to be more selfish in that respect and he needs to stop trying to do everything for the team. If he spends more time in the penalty area then his team mates will know generally where he is and stand a better chance of finding him, his lack of pace will be less of an issue, his movement with the ball will come to the fore, and the opposition defenders will be scared to barge him off the ball.

May has the potential but it's up to him and SG to realist that potential. We need to stop considering him to be some sort of God and acknowledge that he is absolutely not the finished article and that it's not his team mates fault that he isn't the finished article. May was bought as a goalscorer and, at some point but not now, he needs to be judged as a goalscorer.

Edited by shandypants

How long are we going to blame the rest of the team for the things that May need to address?

You can't blame May for the fact that it took until 5 mins into the second half before we got a decent cross into the box...how many times did Hope/ Palmer hit the first man when May and Madine had burst a gut to get in the box

Guest Sheff Owl

Brilliant.

Let's slate a player that has got the movement yet the numpties behind him are far too slow to see it or don't play it.

If May was with a team with players who have creativity he would have had a bag full by now.

May is far from the finished article, if he was close then he wouldn't be playing for us.

tired of hearing the 'service' line. decent modern teams defend deep, so you don't get lots of space and the chance to run onto through balls etc

the lad works hard and make good runs

unfortunately he's hardly ever first to the ball or strong enough to hold it up 

I sincerely hope he comes good but at present can't see anything to suggest he's going to establish himself at this level

A friend tells me the coaches believe he's a 'late developer' . i hope so. i'd like all our players to be a success

Brilliant.

Let's slate a player that has got the movement yet the numpties behind him are far too slow to see it or don't play it.

If May was with a team with players who have creativity he would have had a bag full by now.

May is far from the finished article, if he was close then he wouldn't be playing for us.

I saw him miss a chance at Bolton. Top class players score the little side foot finishes. Lacks quality imho