Stevie May

He is making runs his team mate can see, he has to go wide or towards them, I didn't think he did too bad in the 10 role towards the end but like heck is he gunna score there.

We push the big man (Atdhe or Gary) up against the defence to bring it down for May to run at the defence, why not bring the big one deeper to either bring it down for lee who can find the wide man or May in the second phase OR flick it over for May to chase.

The goal scorer should not be so deep.

I don't disagree, however, we can't dress May up as the victim for other player's bad or naive play. May has to take as much criticism as his teammates for his lack of goals - maybe more. May was a passenger today (as he has been for weeks) until he moved position. Edited by shandypants

Yes Hirst created his own chances but he was one of the best stirikers of his generation - it's not fair to compare to make with May.. Lets not forget we had a strong midfield that created numerous chances for Hirst too.

Out midfield is only marginally stronger than the Potter JOC axis - one of the weakest in the history of Football. But Seriously - May can't truly be judged until we have one that can get forward and create chances. Even Madine would get on tej scoresheet too - he gets a lot of stick but is suffering too at the moment.

Don't agree that he's making the runs, well, not the right ones anyway. Before he was moved out wide, he had the ball in front of their last defender on a couple of occasions but was easily outmuscled Lacks the pace and strength for this league. When that improves we might have a player, but until then, we need better

The problem for May is the fact that the fans and more worryingly gray seem to think hes our star player. On the games when hes been poor like today we refuse to sub him and usually move him onto the wing where hes hopeless or more laughably like today where we actually played him cm.

Hes a cheap punt from the Scottish leagues it may pay off it may not but he needs time to develop and some of this needs to be done out of the team and from the bench. Then given his age we may see a good player, its a big step up from the spl and he needs to be given time, judge him next season.

This nonsense about him needing better service has to stop as well it only seems to crop up for poor players who fans really want to do well. In recent years Ive heard it said about graham, proudlock, Jeffers etc. Hes part of a team expected to struggle in the championship hes not going to get great service.

Edited by trask43

The problem for May is the fact that the fans and more worryingly gray seem to think hes our star player. On the games when hes been poor like today we refuse to sub him and usually move him onto the wing where hes hopeless or more laughably like today where we actually played him cm.

Hes a cheap punt from the Scottish leagues it may pay off it may not but he needs time to develop and some of this needs to be done out of the team and from the bench. Then given his age we may see a good player, its a big step up from the spl and he needs to be given time, judge him next season.

This nonsense about him needing better sevice has to stop as well it only seems to crop up for poor players who fans really want to do well. In recent years Ive heard it said about graham, proudlock, Jeffers etc. Hes part of a team expected to struggle in the championship hes not going to get great service.

My thoughts, too many excuses

The movement myth about may is laughable! Just because hes a favourite of the fans doesn't mean we have to lie.... service this service that!

Regardless of whether the midfield has the ability to play the pass, not once today (or very often all season) did May make the kind of run that Forestieri/Vydra/Abdi/Ighalo made...along the line and then through!

Dont get me wrong i wish him all the best for us and hope he gets 15 or so this season, but stop the blue and white tinted love in and see him for what he is.... average! Over egging the lad will do just as much damage to him

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Do people still think we got a good trade off with losing Antonio and replacing him with May?  We have had our pants pulled down with both deals!

Stopped reading there. Nonsense.

Enlighten me where he made any of these runs yesterday then cos I sure as hell didn't see it. He had a couple of opportunities to run beyond the last man but had neither the pace nor strength to get past

Theres no understanding between any of the front men...yea May makes more runs than either Madine or Nuhiu, but it isn't as though its organised with any understanding.

Its big man and striker running off...Worked with such as Toshak and Keegan, doesn't work when the players have little understanding between them.

Several times yesterday Madine flicked it one side May went the other..or Madine just flicked it up in the air in the hope of winning it as it landed...as May went left or right...

Hard to blame either...thought Madine was MOM until Drenthe came on..immediately sets Madine up..he misses..

We created next to nowt yesterday cos the midfielders don't make runs forward..and the forwards virtually rely on guesswork

At the moment, our forward options are Madine, May and Nuhiu.

Let's not single out May.

How many goals do you anticipate they'll get between them by the end of the season?

We've known for how long exactly that we need a couple of strikers who can realistically manage 20 goals each at this level?

And Milan did his usual talking up of the possibility of signing at least one striker of this ilk in advance of season tickets going on sale.

Have we addressed this? No.

Is Gray still saying we need strikers? Yes.

Are his requests being acted upon? No.

Will they be acted upon? Yes, but not until the pressure to do so mounts up. You know how he operates.

Enlighten me where he made any of these runs yesterday then cos I sure as hell didn't see it. He had a couple of opportunities to run beyond the last man but had neither the pace nor strength to get past

Didn't go yesterday. Did you mean just yesterday or in general?

I've been to most home games this season and he definitely is making the runs. Often intelligent runs. I think it's one of his main attributes. Admittedly his pace and strength aren't, but for me he's the closest we've had to a proper striker for years (that we've owned anyway).

He comes alive in the box and that's where he needs to be. Perhaps out of frustration, he's coming deep to collect the ball. An intelligent midfielder in our side, and I think he could score plenty. Far more proper striker instincts than Madine and Nuhiu.

I've been to most home games this season and he definitely is making the runs. Often intelligent runs. I think it's one of his main attributes. Admittedly his pace and strength aren't, but for me he's the closest we've had to a proper striker for years (that we've owned anyway).

He comes alive in the box and that's where he needs to be. Perhaps out of frustration, he's coming deep to collect the ball. An intelligent midfielder in our side, and I think he could score plenty. Far more proper striker instincts than Madine and Nuhiu.

Wasn't meaning to come across as a smart arse Yes I was referring to yesterday, and I take your point that he is the only one who attempts to make those runs. Whether he's just caught up in the general downturn of form, I don't know, but both yesterday, and previously against Leeds, the timing of the runs was off. Maybe when he first came he made the runs instinctively and because he doesn't know when the ball will be delivered, he's now become hesitant You are right though, we need him doing his work in the penalty box.

This nonsense about him needing better service has to stop as well it only seems to crop up for poor players who fans really want to do well. In recent years Ive heard it said about graham, proudlock, Jeffers etc. Hes part of a team expected to struggle in the championship hes not going to get great service.

Its not as if people are saying he doesnt need to improve aspects of his game. But we can probably count on one hand the amount of times we put a ball into dangerous areas yesterday. In the end we relied on long range shots from Drenthe.

Put the ball into the box along the floor, cause a bit of confusion and May will start to score more goals. He may not have the pace to get in behind at times but he has the strikers instinct and good feet in the box, moreso than our other strikers.

What was annoying though is that he keeps being given the ball out wide with 2 or 3 men on him. He scored a few cutting inside for St Johnstone and did the same for us vs Birmingham but on the whole he needs to be central.

Good post, shouldve read yours before posting mine lol