Team for Reading

Why are people so afraid of change? We've shown we can change it up without compromising ourselves. Gray would not shy away from difficult choices. We also have a few individuals performing below their best e.g. Coke against Brum. One result does not guarantee another. He'll pick a team to combat Reading - who are strong opposition at the moment. Cox always caused us problems when we faced Forest.

Neither would I...usually.

But I think we need something different in midfield, Reading are no mugs in that area.

Swapping Buxton for Palmer, and replacing Coke with Palmer in midfield wouldn't upset the defence too much would it?

If anyone could slot right back into a position with no fuss, no drama, it's Buxton...surely?

Just seems like an unnecessary risk.  Palmer is doing a good job at RB, Coke is doing a satisfactory job in CM and Buxton's match fitness will obviously be pretty poor at the moment with no pre-season under the belt.

Sounds like Lee and Hutchinson will be back pretty soon going by Gray's comments today, so I'm fine with Coke and Semedo until they return. 

Really though, if we need another option in midfield and Corry and McCabe still don't get a look in over our right back then they really shouldn't be at the club anymore.

Change nothing. Keep going with this eleven unless we lose form. This team is starting to know each other's game inside out. That's a huge advantage.

100% this plus I do not buy into the claimed fact that Coke has suddenly become rubbish.

Edited by salmonbones

I don't necessarily think Palmer and Semedo would make us any stronger in that area, if anything in an effort to get more creativity, those two might find themselves overrun I'd only consider bringing Palmer into midfield, if we switched to a three. However, that would probably mean leaving Stevie May out, which would be counter productive. Until we get the personnel in, just keep it tight and try to nick it.

Edited by gurujuan

Westwood

Palmer Loovens Lees Mattock

Maghoma coke semedo Maguire

may Nuhiu

same solid side but would like to see more crosses put in for the top 2

and see more from the wide players, so would swap them around

Edited by Ash77

WestwoodPalmer Loovens Lees MattockMaghoma coke semedo Maguiremay Nuhiusame solid side but would like to see more crosses put in for the top 2and see more out of the wide players, so would swap the wingers around

Putting my football managers hat on, I'd push Maguire up just behind the two strikers in front of Semedo, Coke and Maghoma, and get the full backs to provide the width. That way, we our strikers won't feel so isolated and hopefully Maguire can thread the balls through to May to run on to. Tucking Maghoma in means an extra body in central midfield. The downside is, we need the full backs to get forward and we'd be vulnerable to balls dropped in behind them

We were dreadful first half v b'ham. Improved second half when some changes made and went on to win the game. The starting 11 or the starting formation didn't win the game. Similar story to bolton although we didn't go on to win the game. Maghoma isn't a winger. Plays much better behind the strikers. We didn't score goals v derby or forest. Defence is fantastic at the minute especially central pairing. For me we should be inter-changing midfield / striker options rather than at half time / second half when we realise the long ball to Nuhiu's head isn't working.

Bizarre isn't it? It's like unless we play well from 1 to 11 we need to make a change.

And what's wrong with that?? You want passengers and weak links? When we have strength and depth - which we do in various positions - there should be no need to accept below par performances. Gray admitted himself that we rode our luck, and we still need more end product from Maghoma and Maguire. Coke was anonymous against Birmingham; you can't carry someone in such a crucial area.

Maybe reading too much into it but I see Stuarts comments in the press conference about Liam wearing different hats as a sign that we may see him making the switch back to midfield especially after cokes performance in the last game. Would make sense to strengthen the defence on that side as well due to readings strengths.