Huddersfield 1-0 Birmingham

23 minutes ago, maidstoneowl said:

I am not an Opta computer, but surely this is the best outcome we could hope for in this fixture, tomorrow?  

You might not be an Opta computer but you could well be an Optimistic one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gresh said:

A draw is the best outcome if we can win as it guarantees we stay up.

Except it doesn't. The gap would be 3 pts between us and Brum but their goal difference is vastly superior 

• Like 1

It doesn’t matter if Huddersfield win 1-0 or 12-0 - as long as they win.

Goal difference is irrelevant.

The chances of Wednesday overturning the goal difference in two matches whilst at the same time getting three less points than Huddersfield is almost non-existent.

• Like 2

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

It doesn’t matter if Huddersfield win 1-0 or 12-0 - as long as they win.

Goal difference is irrelevant.

The chances of Wednesday overturning the goal difference in two matches whilst at the same time getting three less points than Huddersfield is almost non-existent.

To expand on this point, Huddersfield’s goal difference is two better than ours AND they’ve scored more goals than us.

There are three ways they can get exactly three points more than us in two matches so that goal difference comes in to play:-

1. They get 6 points, we get three.

2. they get 4 points, we get one.

3. they get 3 points we get zero.

In scenario one, the best we could possibly hope for is that they win both matches by one and we lose our match by one. That still means we would need to win the match we win by SIX goals or more. Not happening.

In scenario two, no possible set of score lines turns around the goal difference.

In scenario three, the best we could obtain is we lose both matches by one and they only win their match by one goal. That still means they would need to lose the match they did by SIX goals or more. Again, highly unlikely!

So please, everybody stop wasting energy by thinking about goal difference.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 5

It's not about goal difference for me. A Huddersfield win feels the best result just because I think they're a lot less likely to get anything in their last game v Ipswich, compared to Birmingham v Norwich.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shipley Owl said:

It's not about goal difference for me. A Huddersfield win feels the best result just because I think they're a lot less likely to get anything in their last game v Ipswich, compared to Birmingham v Norwich.

Exactly!

Plus they’ll be on 47 but Birmingham will be on 49 if they win.

A Huddersfield win is the best outcome but the score line is irrelevant 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Exactly!

Plus they’ll be on 47 but Birmingham will be on 49 if they win.

A Huddersfield win is the best outcome but the score line is irrelevant 

Not quite right mate. There is a long shot where we could lose both of ours and stay up on goal difference. If Udders won by 1 goal today, and we lost by 1 goal, their GD would be -26 ours would be -30. A difference of 4 

If we lost our last match by 1 goal ours would be -31, making a difference of 5. So if Ipswich tanked them 6-0 we’d stay up, assuming Norwich win at Brum ofcourse. Long shot I know but you’ve only got to look at Leeds getting tonked 4-0 last night. Anything can happen in this division.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, doubleo said:

Not quite right mate. There is a long shot where we could lose both of ours and stay up on goal difference. If Udders won by 1 goal today, and we lost by 1 goal, their GD would be -26 ours would be -30. A difference of 4 

If we lost our last match by 1 goal ours would be -31, making a difference of 5. So if Ipswich tanked them 6-0 we’d stay up, assuming Norwich win at Brum ofcourse. Long shot I know but you’ve only got to look at Leeds getting tonked 4-0 last night. Anything can happen in this division.

Yes and we know a club who got tonked by 6 goals at Ipswich this season. 

• Thanks 1

I’m not concerned about Huddersfield any more. I think 1 point is all we need and they won’t catch us

Birmingham are the concern, we desperately need them to lose today 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Yeah I explained exactly that scenario above.

However, you’d also need the points to align so that Ipswich needed to win by that many to even have a chance it happens.

If Ipswich need to simply win and are a couple up and Huddersfield need to not get tonked- there is absolutely no way the ball doesn’t spend 20 minutes being passed about deep in one teams half relatively unchallenged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Django said:

I’m not concerned about Huddersfield any more. I think 1 point is all we need and they won’t catch us

Birmingham are the concern, we desperately need them to lose today 

I don’t think Plymouth are out of the mire yet either.