“They could ask, ‘Why should I fight for this club?”

1 hour ago, scram said:

Tbf lots of players do give 100% every time they play

Wanting to earn a new contract here or elsewhere or just personal pride 

That's true. 

Sadly, I guess that it's noticeable for those that don't and they weaken any side's performance on the pitch especially at this point in the season when you need every single player to be giving it their all.

We are at the bottom end of the championship food chain 

we basically sign the ones that are left when the ones with parachute payments don’t want 

So we either sign young players with potential or old players with a few years left in them 

we need to start buying other teams best players but we have no money so we go round in the same circles of short term planning 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

That's not something I agree with.

If they are young and any good, they will just go on strike, to force a move.

The other side of the coin, is you end up with a 31 year old, 2 years into a 4 year deal, but his legs have now gone and you are stuck with him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WimJunk said:

Well, I don't agree with long contracts in football. It's a 10 -15 year career, should be 2 year contracts at a time, max.

The players we are discussing though don't have that and don't know if they will get another one

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, WimJunk said:

If they are young and any good, they will just go on strike, to force a move.

The other side of the coin, is you end up with a 31 year old, 2 years into a 4 year deal, but his legs have now gone and you are stuck with him.

Think about whar youve just posted within the context of what you are suggesting.

Who would give a four year contract to a 29/30 year old whose legs were on their way out?

What young player would spit the dummy out if they'd willingly signed a four or five year contract (Obviously there is always a few idiots)?

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The players we are discussing though don't have that and don't know if they will get another one

The main problem is the players we have.

Loads are over 30, you ideally want them on year by year contracts.

Theres not many players in the squad we would want on long contracts.

Thats the problem, we don’t have enough young promising players. The ones we do like Cadamarteri, Gassama, Musaba - are in contract.

Sign better players. Sign younger players. Give them longer contracts.

• Like 2

I mean all humans are different.

Some will come to the end of their contracts and not giving everything

Some will get a long contract and do the same.

And vice versa.

However the point stands and is largely the issues when you sign aging players. Of those out of contract, most of them will be back end of their careers and probably why they aren’t giving their all.

2 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I’m sorry but I don’t buy this what so ever!! Whilst ever the players are under contract and getting paid, they should remain professional surely?? 

Yeah, nobody ever slowed down at work just because the business weren't treating you well or the boss was being a fool.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Many do
Many don't

You get rid of those that don't 

I wouldn't keep anyone in the squad who doesn't give all in the last 3 games a new contract.

If I was another team and knew this I would never sign them.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

19 players, including the captain, Barry Bannan, are out of contract this summer.

“In the future this should not happen again, because if you have 19 players without a contract, they could ask, ‘Why should I fight for this club?’ ” Röhl says.

Its obvious some are not !

• Like 1

I think the answer to the question might be self respect & dignity.

Failing that because you want to perform for the fans that support you in large numbers home & away.

Because prospective other clubs will look at your attitude at the end of your contract and think will he be the same at the end of time with us?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I’m sorry but I don’t buy this what so ever!! Whilst ever the players are under contract and getting paid, they should remain professional surely?? 

Yes because that’s how real life works 

🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

It's not helpful when so many are out of contract but on the other hand many are simply not good enough.  With the odd exception, most who leave will go on to lesser teams.

It's not just the contract situation but poor recruitment, lack of planning and failure to sell players over the years.

I believe that the only way we will achieve success is to develop the youth and bring them into the first team which will take time.

• Love 2