“They could ask, ‘Why should I fight for this club?”

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

No...but I never gave anything than 100% on a football pitch and I didn't get paid for it 

What about all the other players in your league?

Being paid for something doesn’t ever equal guaranteed effort 

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I didn't care what other players did and in my last five years or so we had a lot of youngsters so us senior players set the example...first for training etc

• Like 1

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

I didn't care what other players did and in my last five years or so we had a lot of youngsters so us senior players set the example...first for training etc

That’s not answered the question 

Owlstalk Shop

Letting so many contracts run out at the same time is daft. 

We probably got away with it last season because the team was in a battle for promotion and I think most players, even if they know there's a chance they're off in the summer, still want to get a promotion on their CV. 

In a relegation scrap though...how often do you hear people remarking about how players have downed tools, thrown in the towel, look like they've mentally checked out? Happens quite a bit doesn't it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

No...but I never gave anything than 100% on a football pitch and I didn't get paid for it 

That's kind of the point, though - for these players, football is their livelihood.

As I said earlier in the thread: would you go flying in full bore to that 50-50 challenge which could break your leg, knowing that you might need to find a new club who can secure your family's income in a few games' time, for example?

As soon as you introduce that element of doubt over their family's future and rival clubs start putting out feelers etc, it's almost inevitable that some players will struggle to perform at their absolute best, despite their best intentions.

The issue that both Bannan and Röhl have identified in recent weeks is that we have too many players in this situation, season after season.

It's not a conscious thing, it's human nature. Well beyond discretionary effort, this level of professional sport demands total focus and that just isn't possible when you're livelihood, future are uncertain. 

Even more so when the majority of the cohort are in the same situation, the whole group becomes affected.

It is what it is at this stage, can't change it this season, but needs to change going forward. As with so many other elements of the club which needs to be dragged into being professional, befitting the level of 'elite' sport we are competing at.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not saying other players are doing that I can't speak for them...what I'm saying is personal pride should ensure they give 100%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

It's not a conscious thing, it's human nature. Well beyond discretionary effort, this level of professional sport demands total focus and that just isn't possible when you're livelihood, future are uncertain. 

Even more so when the majority of the cohort are in the same situation, the whole group becomes affected.

It is what it is at this stage, can't change it this season, but needs to change going forward. As with so many other elements of the club which needs to be dragged into being professional, befitting the level of 'elite' sport we are competing at.

Spot on.

I think some are maybe conflating a conscious lack of effort with a subconscious lack of total focus / commitment.

It's not that any of them are purposefully throwing it off; it's more that some will be struggling to stay totally focussed on what they should be when they're meeting to discuss their future with their agent, analysing different options with their family, etc...

• Like 1

Plenty of us will have had to serve some sort of notice period. 

You do somewhat mentally check out and go through the motions a bit when you know you're off. Still do the job, but you are probably not going to go above and beyond when you are weeks away from departing. 

• Like 3

Just a lack of respect to leave them in the unknown as to what their situation is, but that's chansiri, ignorant, tactless, disrespectful human being, not fit to be running a club or any business in general

Also, not every single professional footballer is making absolute fortunes. 

Yes, most are earning more than your average bloke in the street, but most aren't earning the absurd amounts paid in the Premier League and perhaps top end of the Championship. 

That next move is massive to them and their families.

If your contract was up, you had a few irons in the fire, then you are going to be wary of getting injured, particularly if you know you are leaving your current employer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Spot on.

I think some are maybe conflating a conscious lack of effort with a subconscious lack of total focus / commitment.

It's not that any of them are purposefully throwing it off; it's more that some will be struggling to stay totally focussed on what they should be when they're meeting to discuss their future with their agent, analysing different options with their family, etc...

Absolutely. 

Not that I think it's relevant to our group, but reminded of watching an episode of Undr the Cosh I think when an ex pro was talking about certain players who don't like football. 

They never watch other games, come to work and go home, it's just a job to them doing something they happen to be talented at. While its the pinnacle of what every fan dreams of, for players it is at the end of the day a job. 

As I said, this particular scenario not applicable to our group from what I've seen, but to pick up on your point subconsciously issues around anyone's livelihood and future will affect performance to some degree in whatever vocation.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So what age is the cut off for calling in sick or taking it easy at work?

And how does the amount you are paid or the number of people watching you work directly correlate with if you take it easy at work or not?

Two really simple basic questions for someone as intelligent as yourself on this subject 

Im keen to learn from your vast experience of basic psychology 

WTF are you actually talking about?

You are now comparing a 14 year old kid slacking off at work at a minimum wage part time after school job, to a highly paid professional footballer in the EFL for SWC who is slacking off cos he cant be bothered and doesnt have a contract?

No you're just screaming things at bus stops, as you'd say. You areally are surpassing yourself. Bravo.

Just now, steelerian said:

WTF are you actually talking about?

You are now comparing a 14 year old kid slacking off at work at a minimum wage part time after school job, to a highly paid professional footballer in the EFL for SWC who is slacking off cos he cant be bothered and doesnt have a contract?

No you're just screaming things at bus stops, as you'd say. You areally are surpassing yourself. Bravo.

Come on

Two very simple questions

So what age is the cut off for calling in sick or taking it easy at work?

And how does the amount you are paid or the number of people watching you work directly correlate with if you take it easy at work or not?

Owlstalk Shop

16 hours ago, scram said:

Tbf lots of players do give 100% every time they play

Wanting to earn a new contract here or elsewhere or just personal pride 

If a player doesn't show desire, I doubt Danny will pick them, unless there is no choice, but players are human and they need to feel valued. Chansiri doesn't seem to understand that concept.

On 20/04/2024 at 07:28, @owlstalk said:

Yes because that’s how real life works 

🤦‍♂️

they are elite level sportsmen, it’s exactly how they should conduct themselves. Anyone with an ounce of integrity would perform to the highest standards. 

15 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

they are elite level sportsmen, it’s exactly how they should conduct themselves. Anyone with an ounce of integrity would perform to the highest standards. 

So how come many don’t?

Owlstalk Shop