“They could ask, ‘Why should I fight for this club?”

4 minutes ago, Marro said:

It's not helpful when so many are out of contract but on the other hand many are simply not good enough.  With the odd exception, most who leave will go on to lesser teams.

It's not just the contract situation but poor recruitment, lack of planning and failure to sell players over the years.

I believe that the only way we will achieve success is to develop the youth and bring them into the first team which will take time.

So we are screwed for next season then?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So we are screwed for next season then?

Marro's points are all valid.

Are we screwed for next season, you ask? No, not yet. We have a chance to recruit again this summer. Hopefully we do it better this time. I dont hold out much hope, but we certainly arent screwed.....YET.

In a general sense having so many players out of contract is something to clearly avoid but many of those involved do have a contract. The number referenced includes a lot that aren’t involved and if we did offer them contracts questions asked why?

Some of this is the legacy of the embargo restrictions under DMs first season where we built a team of a certain age and kept one or two key ones on a bit longer 

36 minutes ago, Marro said:

It's not helpful when so many are out of contract but on the other hand many are simply not good enough.  With the odd exception, most who leave will go on to lesser teams.

It's not just the contract situation but poor recruitment, lack of planning and failure to sell players over the years.

I believe that the only way we will achieve success is to develop the youth and bring them into the first team which will take time.

Yeah we had a bit of this last time we went down bringing FDB through and signing the likes of Brown and Adeniran. Whilst those three didn’t work out in a building sense (Adeniran looked solid pre injury) we might have one or two in the u21s who are of a better age now to “fill out” the squad whilst allowing us to focus resources on a better younger set of players, whichever level. I still think experience will be important but smith, Ihiekwe, Paterson are still around and I could see Bannan and Vaulks being offered something and Palmer, particularly in L1. Less so if we stay up.  

The teams that have done well coming out of league one have used that level to develop players of championship potential but need games. The trade off is accepting auto promotion is unlikely, Sunderland and Ipswich took a while 

• Like 1

I know we're talking about this from our/the clubs point of view, in terms of contract management,  succession planning, etc. We're clearly awful at it.

But from the 15 odd players point of view, the supposed uncertainty...

Wtf have their agents not been sorting them out with clubs elsewhere since January? We've been hearing for 40 odd years how agents are parasites, etc trying to get players to move so they can get their 10% from moves, pre contracts etc.

How often have we heard such and such isn't arsed, he's gone at the end of the year.

Yeah I get a couple,bannan might be wanting an answer so he can finish his career here, but 15 to 18 other agents haven't been sounding out other clubs before now?

Seems radio rental

After relegation and particularly with a reduction in income, there can be positives from a rebuild rather than being stuck with want away types or players we can’t afford. I think it’s just because we are doing it at that level again so soon. We didn’t build correctly last time 

44 minutes ago, steelerian said:

They should fight for this club for the simple reason that they are professionals and very handsomely paid to do so. They shouldnt need any more reason.

Am sure you put 100% into every single day youve ever worked in your life, never chucked a sicky etc. 

Owlstalk Shop

I suppose we will find out soon, if we don't renew most of the contracts then the club is right as if you don't want to renew players then there is no contact discussion.  If we do try and re-sign most of them them the club have royally messed up and will look pretty stupid (which we seem to do most of the time anyway).

If it's 2 or 3 it wouldn't look good if we started negotiating with just 3 players as your basically saying there's no future for you lot. Either way it's not a good position to be in.

So  the 7000 + going to Blackburn paying for travel and tickets and hope in their hearts ,We have players who earn in a couple of months  fans will have to work a couple of years to get ,We have players that are not going to give 100%  for our club , Well to these players i can not wait till you have gone.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Am sure you put 100% into every single day youve ever worked in your life, never chucked a sicky etc. 

Maybe once or twice when I was a kid at college working at the cinema or supermarket. But I have worked for myself since Ive been an adult, so if I dont work too hard its only me who loses out. No bosses or 25k+ fans to disapopoint.

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly 

So come back to the real world and stop preaching 

Who is preaching. I was 14 and earning minimum wage. Not in my 30s earing thousands and playing in front of thousands.

Get over yourself man, you're not alway correect, even though you think you are.

2 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Who is preaching. I was 14 and earning minimum wage. Not in my 30s earing thousands and playing in front of thousands.

Get over yourself man, you're not alway correect, even though you think you are.

So what age is the cut off for calling in sick or taking it easy at work?

And how does the amount you are paid or the number of people watching you work directly correlate with if you take it easy at work or not?

Two really simple basic questions for someone as intelligent as yourself on this subject 

Im keen to learn from your vast experience of basic psychology 

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

No...but I never gave anything than 100% on a football pitch and I didn't get paid for it 

• Love 1