Whats the strangest thing you have seen at a football match?

Not strange, more funny, but as I left the Lep end of the north on Saturday, the Stoke fans were taunting us that we were going down. For those who don't know that area, the fans are separated by a metal fence covered in plastic sheeting so the fans can't see each other. There was a small gap in the sheeting, and a Stoke fan was right up at the fence, pointing and singing at us. Because of the sheeting, he would have only been able to see a small area in front of him, so someone sneaked up from the side and smacked him in the bowlocks mid-song, causing him to yelp out in pain and surprise. Cheered me right up.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I once sneezed pie all over a bloke in front who was wearing what looked like a brand new cream velvet type jacket

Were you the pie thrower at Rotherham, caused some bother that.

couple spring to mind, Cambridge mid seventies, a Wednesdayite managed to get a pushbike into the ground, and rode it across the bottom of the terrace, second World Cup 2010, Loftus Field Pretoria, wet for a p155 and stood next to a bloke with a spear and shield, best thing is he had no shoes on and the place was swimming 

• Haha 1

On 14/04/2024 at 17:30, torryowl said:

The 2 minute silence for  king botibot with that thai lass singing what sounded like  somewhere over the rainbow in her mother tongue booming out the  tannoy  with the players  stood about the pitch looking puzzled  was surreal. 

Anyone who took part in this should hang their heads in shame- traitors the lot of you.

It's up there with all the sycophants trying to get a photo with em hugging chansiri when he first came.

24 minutes ago, darntpark said:

Anyone who took part in this should hang their heads in shame- traitors the lot of you.

'Traitors'?

:duntmatter:

Rather than standing and listening to the singing being blasted out of the sound system just before kick-off, what should we all have done instead?

I assume you were loudly booing throughout? It's just we couldn't hear you over the Hillsborough sound system, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was at a game, don't recall which one but likely to be late nineties / early 2000's. Memory is sketchy, but the Referee pulled a fetlock,  so Lino took over reffing and 4th official took over lino, then an announcement when out over the PA systems for a level * qualified ref in the stadium,  whereupon a bloke came forward from North Stand and took over 4th official. We were waiting for a Managerial sending off in the Visitors dugout. 😁

On 14/04/2024 at 17:39, bigash_swfc said:

On a cold winters day at Hillsborough, I once saw a chap buy 6 meat pies. 

It was so strange, I remember seeing him wearing what looked liked a belt around his waist filled with these 6 meat pies. Keeping himself warm and well fed at the same time.

I couldn't work out if it was genius or insane.  

This reminds me of the time my sister in law, who sees herself as a foodie with only the most expensive tastes, requested that we bring back a selection of pies from a boxing day game (she's not from the UK and seems to think pies are some sort of exotic delicacy).

Going at HT they'd actually sold out, but as we didn't want to disappoint her we stopped at a chippy on the way home where they proceeded to whip a few frozen pies into a microwave. When we got home and gave them to her (having to carefully conceal that they were still warm), she then ate them and commented on how delicious they were to much sniggering from us in the background.

Edited by Marc_Degryse

34 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

'Traitors'?

:duntmatter:

Rather than standing and listening to the singing being blasted out of the sound system just before kick-off, what should we all have done instead?

I assume you were loudly booing throughout? It's just we couldn't hear you over the Hillsborough sound system, right?

No I'd already decided the chansiri thing wasn't for me, it didn't take me long. 

But if I had been going I would've still been in the boozer/legging it across the park to the north standing in the ground before a match has never been my thing. 

On 14/04/2024 at 17:54, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

There was a grown man stood taking a p*ss with his jeans and underwear down around his ankles at a game earlier this season. 

Not what you expect to see, especially in the South Stand.

Remember a beardy man stripped down to his pants at Fulham about 6 years ago. The match where we had grey smoke flares. 

1 hour ago, darntpark said:

No I'd already decided the chansiri thing wasn't for me, it didn't take me long. 

But if I had been going I would've still been in the boozer/legging it across the park to the north standing in the ground before a match has never been my thing. 

That's convenient, then.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

On 14/04/2024 at 20:41, Kopparberg said:

That ‘record breaking’ air guitar at half time at Hillsborough 

… nearly as awkward as that King of Thailand thing

Someone also proposed on the Hillsborough pitch, to chants of “you don’t know what you’re doing” 

On 15/04/2024 at 06:14, SHUowl said:

Air guitar has been mentioned, so has the proposal but those two lasses half time performance where they rodded and told the Barnsley fans to **** off was mental to see.

'Twins' I think they were called. 

Saxon. Original bassist Stephen Dawson recently jailed for 5 years for sexual offences against a 6 year old girl. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2024 at 01:12, GoodyOwl said:

So at half time yesterday im sat there checking the scores when I look to my left to see an older gentleman, im guessing in his 70s with a large bag. I thought this may be interesting, wondering what sandwiches he had packed when to my surprise and the few people around me he took out a 2litre semi skimmed bottle of milk. He then went on to quench his thirst by chugging the entire bottle of it before wiping his milky lips and putting it away. Has to be one of the weirdest / weirdest strangest moments I’ve had in a football ground. Me and probably 5 others all looked at each other struggling to believe what we had just seen.

just wondered what else any one may have witnessed before that you thought was strange at a football match. Not including us winning. 🙂

Ah we must of been playing in the Milk Cup.

I was at the old Valley watching Wednesday play Charlton when the confectionary stall which was half way up the massive bank of terracing caught fire.

I don’t know whether Wednesday fans or Charlton fans set it alight or whether it was a genuine accident.

It was more entertaining than the game even though Charlton has Alan Simonson playing for them.