Poor from Röhl

The majority of the squad are not Championship standard.

Simple as.

Summer player and manager recruitment and preparation was lamentable.

Feltcher.

Famewo.

Iheikwe..

Smith.

Gregory.

Wilks.

At least 6 squad places and 3 ‘first team’ positions taken up by players who are simply not up to what is required or good enough to implement what Röhl has been trying to instill.

Destruction of momentum.

Preparation and a quarter of a season of abject failure.

Add in injuries to key players and you get punished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Past Member said:

He's right when he said that his tactics have given us a chance of survival.

He' was massively naive for not switching to method management for our last 4 games & it cost us today.

With 4 games left, we didn't have time to wait for Windass to get up to speed. Blackburn, even before their goal at Leeds had 2 banks of 4, when ever Leeds attacked, denying any space. We remained wide open after our goal. Naive.

Poor management today.

Hindsight is a great thing hey. 

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It’s clear that if Röhl stays at our club next season, that some fans will try and hound him out 

It will only be a few though

Aside from a few gaffs he’s been fantastic and I’m sure the vast majority of fans can see that

Unfortunately I can’t see him being here next season so that small percentage of fans might not even get the chance to hound him out 😞

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It’s clear that if Röhl stays at our club next season, that some fans will try and hound him out 

For the “we need experience at this level” and “get it forward!” Brigade 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

You weren’t saying that when Ugbo scored six in six. One of the reasons we aren’t winning now is Ike has stopped scoring 

That’s spot on. Before Xmas, Cadz rescued the season with a few key goals then Ugbo gave us real hope with his consecutive scoring. We have changed the way we play him. He was getting low crosses and being a penalty spot player but yesterday he was accommodating Smith . We were playing longer balls and Smith is presumably the target. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, victorturner said:

That’s spot on. Before Xmas, Cadz rescued the season with a few key goals then Ugbo gave us real hope with his consecutive scoring. We have changed the way we play him. He was getting low crosses and being a penalty spot player but yesterday he was accommodating Smith . We were playing longer balls and Smith is presumably the target. 

And I would add that Cadz is an instinctive finisher getting goals out of nothing,  so having Ugbo and then Smith playing better is awkward because it means that Cadz cannot get enough minutes. 

17 hours ago, Past Member said:

He's right when he said that his tactics have given us a chance of survival.

He' was massively naive for not switching to method management for our last 4 games & it cost us today.

With 4 games left, we didn't have time to wait for Windass to get up to speed. Blackburn, even before their goal at Leeds had 2 banks of 4, when ever Leeds attacked, denying any space. We remained wide open after our goal. Naive.

Poor management today.

It's not that simple though. The easiest thing in the world is to look back when things didn't go the way we wanted them to and then suggest something different was done as if that alone would guarantee success. It could actually have resulted in things being even worse.

For example, how many times have we seen teams try and defend what they have and just be dominated and worn down in terms of territory, possession and chances while offering almost no threat at the other end? More often than not, that results in the inevitable anyway. And when the time comes to change things to try and rescue the situation, the momentum can't just be recaptured.

For all of the pontification regarding formations, substitutions, team selections, set pieces and so on, games are often decided by just a small number of key moments that can go either way. Sometimes, even when thrashings are handed out, the scoreline doesn't reflect the actual balance of play. In terms of yesterday, one can only guess what would have happened if those early chances for Ugbo and Smith had gone in or if Beadle had got his hand to their equaliser. 

• Like 1

It wasn't Röhl who missed those chances. 

If we were clinical and decent upfront and chose the correct pass at the correct time then we would have had 4 against Stoke and numerous other teams this season. 

Players have to take responsibility and own their performances. That's what costs us week after week. 

You can only polish a turd so much before it needs flushing.

21 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

I will be astonished if Röhl stays with us in League 1.

I won’t be. If he stays with us there’s huge upside to building a new squad and getting us promoted and then maybe thinking about his next move. Say he goes to a team like Sunderland and it goes wrong, where does he go from there? He’ll be quite aware this his is first managerial position I think.

11 hours ago, SHUowl said:

Only players can score, doesn't stop us singing daddy cool when we win.

You really don’t like Röhl do you!  The players get a very easy ride in the main from most supporters, we’re very quick to build them up without any real foundation.  After the Norwich game, you would have thought Paterson was the answer to all our prayers based on the reaction of some fans.  Some continue to believe Windass is Championship standard, whereas I thought his performance yesterday was a disgrace.  I don’t know what the future holds for Röhl, maybe he’ll go on to bigger things, but he certainly deserves better than Sheffield Wednesday (fans excluded).  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

It wasn't Röhl who missed those chances. 

If we were clinical and decent upfront and chose the correct pass at the correct time then we would have had 4 against Stoke and numerous other teams this season. 

Players have to take responsibility and own their performances. That's what costs us week after week. 

You can only polish a turd so much before it needs flushing.

Dead right. He did not miss those chances, But were the chances that clear cut? It looked as if there was a fair amount of long ball, which usually finishes with a header and knock downs. Even Smith hitting the bar was not a clear chance. 

Imagine where we’d be without Röhl 

he’s not immune to criticism but working minor miracles, and the odd mistake here or there unfortunately is costing us dearly at the moment.

Chanser ensured there was absolutely zero ‘float’ in the club last summer and then in January - I’d be more inclined to lay my energy at his door than at the manager at the mo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneEightSixSeven said:

Röhl has made mistakes, quite a few but as has been said, the players lack the required quality for this level. Their lad Bae that came on yesterday had more passing, control, vision and movement than anybody in our side.. 

what, even better than the wee scottish man who is apparently better than Zidane? surely not

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

very much doubt he will be still here  , if the club was progressive on the future he would love to stay . as for hounding him out whats that based on?

he has made mind blowing mistakes what most of our managers of recent years would have got absolute dogs abuse but due to our absolute car crash past few years , him taking us over in such a mess , his energy wins many over . i could write a long list of why did he do that 

bring on 3 subs with 3mins left was unreal 

playing ipswich away with only 2 midfielders 1 bannan) left us wide open , ipswich when they win are nearly always by 1 goal only , same with huddersfield away and a number of other games we set up wrong and many supporters pre game feared the worse . but some might have a moan on here ,some in conversations at games but nobody i dont think would hound him out . if he stayed next season and results were not great its chansiri what would get the wrath . 

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, steelerian said:

what, even better than the wee scottish man who is apparently better than Zidane? surely not

Ah look

SteelerIan's here with his ongoing agenda to try and get us all to hate Barry Bannan

How sweet

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, Silkstone Owl said:

Imagine where we’d be without Röhl 

he’s not immune to criticism but working minor miracles, and the odd mistake here or there unfortunately is costing us dearly at the moment.

Chanser ensured there was absolutely zero ‘float’ in the club last summer and then in January - I’d be more inclined to lay my energy at his door than at the manager at the mo

not been any float for many windows now , its players out(wages saved) so byers leaves those wages used , not fresh wages available .  in summer when absolutely loads leave , minus sky money , gates lower , im thinking the wage bill will be lowest in 15 years possibly as low as 6 million , not a chance in hell of been top 6 in league 1 next season , even if some miracle happens and we stop up we will have 1 of smallest wage bills and be bottom 3 next season.  as a club we are just about existing thats it , absolutely no chance of progress while chancer stays 

• Like 2