Bottom 3 at End of Season

I think it'll go down to the Sunderland game on the last day and we'll fall just short. I can see us finishing third bottom on goal difference.

I don't go along with all this "X amount of points and we're safe" stuff. It's not just about how we do, it's also about how our rivals do. If two or three of them rally and start putting a bit of a run together, we are going to be in trouble come last day of the season. Especially if we don't do ourselves what needs to be done.

The 6-0 loss at Ipswich was mitigated a tad by most of the other results this weekend going our way. But with games running out our survival is not fully in our own hands. And in this position there are no "easy" games or three-point bankers.

• Like 3

I'm still pessimistic about things, that loss on Saturday was not surprising as a result, what is troubling is falling apart and conceding 6. OK a good team but we have a frailty within the squad. At times we lack fight and seem to give in, one thing you need in a relegation battle is fight  spirit and not giving up....not sure we have that when things don't go are way.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ThruThinAndThinner said:

Agree. Seen it too often over the years.

Usually against us.  When we were doing well always hated playing those near the bottom at this stage of the season as Usually parked the bus and generally made it difficult.

We just rolled over on Saturday.

Just hoping that International Break has come at the right time.  Danny has nearly 2 weeks to rebuild morale and get the squad in fighting mood again.  We have some winnable fixtures coming up if the approach and attitude is right.  This, combined with some of the teams around us not doing too well, - may see us survive.  Fingers crossed!

I'm in the 'we will stay up' camp. Not that it will make any difference to our future if Chansiri is still at the helm (and hence DR is off to pastures new)

it's utterly crackers.

We won more games than Huudersfield., Plymouth & QPR, but the scarcity of draws has seen us stay below them.
The last 2 games have seen us take a bettering, but they were against top3 sides. If you'd offered me a single point from those 2 games I would have bitten your hand off.

Only ourselves & QPR have shown anything like decent form. Millwall, Swansea & Bristol C all look safe at the moment but still aren't out of it.

Stoke are in freefall - they only won the other week thanks to an own goal.
Ditto Blackburn - they can't buy a win.
Plymouth seems to have gone toxic - they don't like the maanger & it seems to be getting through to the players.
Huddersfield were hoping for a new manager bounce - it hasn't happened..
Birmingham are in a mess - they are a probably at most risk thanks to off the field events.

Under Xisco we would have been down before the Xmas decorations. If DM had stayed & been allowed to strengthen, we'd probably be somewhere between 12th-17th.
That period between DM going & DR arriving has cost uis somewhere between 12-15 points.

We can still get out of this. It's testatment to DR & his coaching team that we're still even within touching distance. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ThruThinAndThinner said:

Agree. Seen it too often over the years.

To be fair, there have been plenty of examples of the opposite. I imagine our record in such end of season games is about average. In any event, what happened in 2004 or whatever is hardly relevant now.

• Like 1

Let’s see the starting 11 vs Swansea before panicking. 

Think we will stay up personally , QPR would be in bigger trouble if Belgiums jails weren’t overflowing. 

• Like 3

Birmingham following the Millwall model and looking like appointing a former hero - Rowett - as interim manager to end of season

Crazy situation that he’d be the 6th person to take charge this season but I’d give them a much better chance of staying up now

We're amazingly only one point away from getting out of relegation - though it doesn't feel like it after the last two games. It's all in our own hands.

Whatever happens, IF we beat Swansea this weekend we go up one place as Birmingham & QPR play each other. 3 points for us would overtake whichever of them is the loser or get us ahead of Birmingham & on equal points with QPR if they draw.

That has to be our focus now. A game at a time. The faster we start churning out those wins again the more likely it is we'll stay up. 

Swansea is massive (aren’t they all?!). But on paper it’s perhaps the most winnable game we have left, a victory would put the Ipswich debacle firmly behind us and it’d give us the psychological boost of finally moving up a place.

I’m confident of staying up but I do fear a reverse against Swansea and a bit of mild panic will set in. 

53 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Birmingham following the Millwall model and looking like appointing a former hero - Rowett - as interim manager to end of season

Crazy situation that he’d be the 6th person to take charge this season but I’d give them a much better chance of staying up now

Not sure it will be easy, think they will be in the mix to the end. Something else very wrong at Birmingham.

On 18/03/2024 at 17:11, Pete Zarhutt said:

it's utterly crackers.

We won more games than Huudersfield., Plymouth & QPR, but the scarcity of draws has seen us stay below them.
The last 2 games have seen us take a bettering, but they were against top3 sides. If you'd offered me a single point from those 2 games I would have bitten your hand off.

Only ourselves & QPR have shown anything like decent form. Millwall, Swansea & Bristol C all look safe at the moment but still aren't out of it.

Stoke are in freefall - they only won the other week thanks to an own goal.
Ditto Blackburn - they can't buy a win.
Plymouth seems to have gone toxic - they don't like the maanger & it seems to be getting through to the players.
Huddersfield were hoping for a new manager bounce - it hasn't happened..
Birmingham are in a mess - they are a probably at most risk thanks to off the field events.

Under Xisco we would have been down before the Xmas decorations. If DM had stayed & been allowed to strengthen, we'd probably be somewhere between 12th-17th.
That period between DM going & DR arriving has cost uis somewhere between 12-15 points.

We can still get out of this. It's testatment to DR & his coaching team that we're still even within touching distance. 

Worst 3 teams will go down..that's how it works.