Might it be the mature thing to back off Chansiri until the run in is over?

Yes that's it, after 9 YEARS of complete failure, appointing DR after considering Xisco to be a better choice in the summer shows that DC has learnt his lesson and is rebuilding the club 🤦‍♂️ Jesus Wept

• Like 2

Chsnsiri had a small window of opportunity where most fans 

13 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Yes, based on the improvements we have seen the past couple years, on the field, in the management team and the yearly accounts. 

Protesting without an idea of an alternative isn't a good idea, imo.

There is an alternative, a new owner! There are buyers, Chansiri has said there are.

'Better the Devil you know' is the 'Chancer Inners' next argument. Well I'm prepared to take a risk! Because the chance of an owner as bad as Chansiri again is low!

There was a small window of opportunity for Chansiri after the play off finals. A lot of fans were prepared to give him a second chance. But since then he's destroyed any possibility of the majority of fans accepting him.

Off field finances are not good at all! We are in massive amounts of debt, worse than where we were under Mandaric.

Performances have improved with Röhl and the coaches performing near miracles. But we are still looking at relagation. No manager could take this club forward without proper financing. Sadly for Chansiri his money has ran out.

Time to pass to someone who can invest, the club is on it's knees!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I understand that point of view, even though it essentially renders you voluntarily and permanently silent, given the relative powerlessness of the average fan, even in organised groups.

But when you talk of potential unrest within the club, how would that compare with the clear and increasing disconnect between boardroom and supporters, not owning our own stadium, being burdened with enormous debt, multiple charges brought by the league's authorities, a points deduction leading to relegation, increasing incidents of antisocial behaviour in the stands partially because the club doesn't adequately steward it's home, the chairman's frequent and irrational outbursts and regular turnover of senior staff for reasons that we can readily speculate about?

I get it, completely

When things aren't going well I think it's human nature to want to feel the need to "do something".

I held a similar view when Dave Allen was around and again with Chansiri in 2021.

But the harsh truth is feeling powerless and silent are just feelings. Given the choice I probably would like him to sell.

The only question that really matters is and the only thing I care about is, will these protests in current form lead to anything positive? My own opinion is no they won't. Clearly I'm in the minority on here which is fine

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

The only question that really matters is and the only thing I care about is, will these protests in current form lead to anything positive? My own opinion is no they won't. Clearly I'm in the minority on here which is fine

Actually, between the intransigence of Chansiri and the state of the club financially, I'm not optimistic that the protests will deliver tangible results either. 

10 minutes ago, Kevowls1 said:

Chsnsiri had a small window of opportunity where most fans 

There is an alternative, a new owner! There are buyers, Chansiri has said there are.

'Better the Devil you know' is the 'Chancer Inners' next argument. Well I'm prepared to take a risk! Because the chance of an owner as bad as Chansiri again is low!

There was a small window of opportunity for Chansiri after the play off finals. A lot of fans were prepared to give him a second chance. But since then he's destroyed any possibility of the majority of fans accepting him.

Off field finances are not good at all! We are in massive amounts of debt, worse than where we were under Mandaric.

Performances have improved with Röhl and the coaches performing near miracles. But we are still looking at relagation. No manager could take this club forward without proper financing. Sadly for Chansiri his money has ran out.

Time to pass to someone who can invest, the club is on it's knees!

If you're gonna throw a phrase on it I think it's actually more "don't bite the hand that feeds you".

Re the debt - Chansiri is servicing it right? So it's only really issue if he needs the capital now. Or if we decide to compete strongly again and the burden of the interest payments cause FFP issues.

But I just can't see a world where the protests in their current form means Chansiri will sell the club for a fraction of what he has invested - if the alternative for him is to keep us afloat losing £5m or so each season. He''s lost £100m+ already, he probably feels it's worth the risk of losing another £20-£30 mill for a few years if it gives him a shot of hitting the big time and maybe recouping some capital.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Aingarth said:

So does anyone have an answer to the question. What is the strategy of the protests, what positive outcome are you planning to achieve. It is a very genuine and important question for the future of our club???

Yes. We just want him to put the club up for sale at a reasonable price. 

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

You are placing a ridiculous burden on the protestors here. But you are already well aware of that and I suspect you simply want to sidestep some of the issues by any convenient means. They are a small group of presumably ordinary supporters who have grown weary of their football club being held back by a regime of profligacy, incompetence, hubris, micromanagement, petulance and stubbornness. All the signs are that after a period of wasteful exuberance, lacking in a clear and sustainable strategy, we are now unable to compete financially at this level in a way conducive with our historical status. This may result in another relegation to the third tier on his watch; with Chansiri extremely complicit in both. And there is no sign that things are likely to change substantially any time soon.

In terms of ownership, Chansiri holds all of the cards. There is no way to force him out against his will. His running of the club has made us an extremely impractical and unattractive proposition to anyone even remotely tempted to try and replace him. Disconnect between the fans and boardroom continues to grow steadily. The debt burden alone is an enormous obstacle, before you start on the state and ownership of the stadium, training facilities and lacklustre squad. If he simply wants to shrug his shoulders and change nothing, as seems to be the case, what exactly are you expecting the 1867 Group to do? Since when did the stewardship of the club become the responsibility of those paying to watch the games? At this point, all they can really achieve is to register discontent in the hope (admittedly slim) that it might tail the chairman's conscience or ego to an extent that inspires him to oversee change of some kind. Are you suggesting they should somehow start moving in the circles of Wall Street billionaires or something and find one of them willing to squander a considerable chunk of their fortune before even the tiniest hope of a positive return?

I agree with all your comments about the way the club is (mis)run. I am not saying anything different from what you are. But other than maybe giving a brief feeling that you have at least done something, what actually can or will the protests achieve. So far, I think they have all taken place when the Chairman was not at the match. Knowing what we all do about his character, it seems to me that he is unlikely to react in a positive or helpful way to protests. The only objective any of us can hope for is that someone else with deep pockets buys both club and stadium and I cannot see the protests helping that process. Without a wealthy owner, my reading of the accounts is that we could only survive for 2-3 months without one and monthly cash flow could mean the realistic time is shorter than that. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

If you're gonna throw a phrase on it I think it's actually more "don't bite the hand that feeds you".

Re the debt - Chansiri is servicing it right? So it's only really issue if he needs the capital now. Or if we decide to compete strongly again and the burden of the interest payments cause FFP issues.

But I just can't see a world where the protests in their current form means Chansiri will sell the club for a fraction of what he has invested - if the alternative for him is to keep us afloat losing £5m or so each season. He''s lost £100m+ already, he probably feels it's worth the risk of losing another £20-£30 mill for a few years if it gives him a shot of hitting the big time and maybe recouping some capital.

I'm not an accountant. But this by Kieran Maguire is very concerning! Just keeping afloat by servicing the debt which is rising yearly is not good! The debt is being paid by riddiculous ticket prices. The books improvement is not a positive to support Chansiri. The debts rising more slowly, but the club is still loosing millions. Chansiri is gambling to recoup money, but that is not in the best interest of Sheffield Wednesday. We're heading for Administration!!!

Screenshot_20240306_213751_X.thumb.jpg.ab164efa914f4f814b1f2ca1cbfd5305.jpg

• Love 1

So, we stop protesting until the end of the season? Then what, we start protesting at Hillsboro’ when there are no games on and no fans there? Maybe cancel our holidays to stand outside the ground, protesting to no one in particular?

What a great idea!  😂

Thanks for your ‘voice of reason’ input. It was very enlightening.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aingarth said:

I agree with all your comments about the way the club is (mis)run. I am not saying anything different from what you are. But other than maybe giving a brief feeling that you have at least done something, what actually can or will the protests achieve. 

Let’s spin that round

If protests take place and achieve nothing then what’s the harm?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let’s spin that round

If protests take place and achieve nothing then what’s the harm?

By doing nothing your sending out a signal of acceptance.

2 seasons ago Ipswich were 7 places and 15 points behind us in league one, since then they put together a structure behind the manager to push them forward and recruited quality on and off the pitch and invested.

We just keep on making the same mistakes.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Macallister said:

In response to the OP if he is implying that Chansiri is somehow feeling pressure from  the protests, although I don’t think he will be as I don’t think he gives a damn, there are a number of things Chansiri could do immediately to achieve this:

1: Announce he is willing to sell the Club and ground at a price dictated by the current market ( ref WBA) as soon as a suitable buyer can be found

2: Announce the intention to sit down with Danny to develop a modern management structure which must include either/or/ both CEO/Sporting Director

3: Confirm that whichever league we are in next season he will honour Danny’s current contract and keep him here.

I share the majority view that performances on the field are in no way adversely affected by the protests, as demonstrated by results.  The protests are  about getting Chansiri out asap independently of what is happening at any one time on the field.

I don't think the protests have had the slightest effect on him or will do.  He is a man who when anything has happened against him or the club he will post a statement. So far unless I've missed he's made no comment or posted any statements about the protests.