Might it be the mature thing to back off Chansiri until the run in is over?

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

No

The protests have been ongoing for a while
In that time we've done amazingly well on the pitch, and Röhl is super professional, winning games, bonding players and fans, and climbing the league table to safety hopefully

The protest has zero impact on the playing side of things as we've seen

Yes I wasn’t meaning the playing side of things, it’s obvious he can easily get the team playing inspite of the feeling around the club.

I can’t help wondering if he may think it’s not an ideal situation to be turning around the club on the field while the fanbase and owner are at odds with each other, especially if a well run club comes calling.

Hope he doesn’t feel this way as he has been a revelation and our best chance at bracing a top 6 championship club (and beyond).

10 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Röhl comes from Germany, a country that is so tuned into football politics that has ownership rules in place to prevent Dejphon Chansiri happening to clubs over there.

A country that is consistently at the front of supporter movements against dodgy owners and the cost of football. A country where entire clubs are set up and ran to reflect left and right wing political ideologies.

Don't worry. Röhl understands all of this. I actually think it's doing him a disservice to suggest he doesn't get it but I'm sure you didn't mean it to come across that way..

Haha I certainly didn’t, he is with out doubt an extremely switched on individual.

14 hours ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

To answer the thread title question: yes.

Mature? Reason? Owlstalk? Is that the definition of an oxymoron?

To answer the thread title question: No.

The real definition of an oxymoron is Chansiri, change.

4 hours ago, nickswfc said:

I also think the protests should stop. Highly doubt anything positive will come from them.

Do you believe anything positive will come from Chansiri's continued ownership?

Feel free to use evidence from the last nine years to back up your argument.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

Sorry to be the voice of reason but we’ve got a couple of months and then we’re either up or down… 

Can we transfer Taz back to the dressing room...free transfer of course nobody's going to to pay for that drivel 🤣

13 hours ago, Aingarth said:

So does anyone have an answer to the question. What is the strategy of the protests, what positive outcome are you planning to achieve. It is a very genuine and important question for the future of our club???

You are placing a ridiculous burden on the protestors here. But you are already well aware of that and I suspect you simply want to sidestep some of the issues by any convenient means. They are a small group of presumably ordinary supporters who have grown weary of their football club being held back by a regime of profligacy, incompetence, hubris, micromanagement, petulance and stubbornness. All the signs are that after a period of wasteful exuberance, lacking in a clear and sustainable strategy, we are now unable to compete financially at this level in a way conducive with our historical status. This may result in another relegation to the third tier on his watch; with Chansiri extremely complicit in both. And there is no sign that things are likely to change substantially any time soon.

In terms of ownership, Chansiri holds all of the cards. There is no way to force him out against his will. His running of the club has made us an extremely impractical and unattractive proposition to anyone even remotely tempted to try and replace him. Disconnect between the fans and boardroom continues to grow steadily. The debt burden alone is an enormous obstacle, before you start on the state and ownership of the stadium, training facilities and lacklustre squad. If he simply wants to shrug his shoulders and change nothing, as seems to be the case, what exactly are you expecting the 1867 Group to do? Since when did the stewardship of the club become the responsibility of those paying to watch the games? At this point, all they can really achieve is to register discontent in the hope (admittedly slim) that it might tail the chairman's conscience or ego to an extent that inspires him to oversee change of some kind. Are you suggesting they should somehow start moving in the circles of Wall Street billionaires or something and find one of them willing to squander a considerable chunk of their fortune before even the tiniest hope of a positive return?

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Sykes said:

Do you believe anything positive will come from Chansiri's continued ownership?

Feel free to use evidence from the last nine years to back up your argument.

Yes, based on the improvements we have seen the past couple years, on the field, in the management team and the yearly accounts. 

Protesting without an idea of an alternative isn't a good idea, imo.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Yes, based on the improvements we have seen the past couple years, on the field, in the management team and the yearly accounts. 

The improvements on the field are solely down to Röhl and his team, who's CV came across Chansiri's desk in Thailand at the same time as that of Muñoz. Trying to sell Röhl's appointment as a masterstroke by Chansiri is completely disingenuous, he got very lucky, but not before hiring Xisco and putting us at risk of yet another relegation.

If Chansiri had even half a brain, he would build the club around Röhl, but no, he's hiding in a hole back in Thailand because there's a massive chance we're going to go down due to his incompetence again.

The accounts have improved because of extra TV money from being in the Championship and by Wednesdayites being insensibly loyal despite year-on-year price hikes for their tickets.

By only looking at things face value, you whitewash what is really happening at our club.

Also, I don't know how many times it has to be said for people like you to listen, but protestors have absolutely no responsibility to find an alternative way to run the club.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Protest makes zero difference to on the pitch results

They also make no difference in the closed season like some I've seen suggest.  The football will take care of itself one way or the other this season, the ownership or running of the club is an ongoing problem that will continue unless things change.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nickswfc said:

Are you seriously suggesting that people paying to watch the games before returning to their jobs the following Monday should be responsible for sourcing, background checking, promoting and installing new owners? Should we also hold them accountable for the stock in the superstore, the state of the playing surface and our lack of goals from set pieces?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sykes said:

The improvements on the field are solely down to Röhl and his team, who's CV came across Chansiri's desk in Thailand at the same time as that of Muñoz. Trying to sell Röhl's appointment as a masterstroke by Chansiri is completely disingenuous, he got very lucky, but not before hiring Xisco and putting us at risk of yet another relegation.

If Chansiri had even half a brain, he would build the club around Röhl, but no, he's hiding in a hole back in Thailand because there's a massive chance we're going to go down due to his incompetence again.

The accounts have improved because of extra TV money from being in the Championship and by Wednesdayites being insensibly loyal despite year-on-year price hikes for their tickets.

By only looking at things face value, you whitewash what is really happening at our club.

Also, I don't know how many times it has to be said for people like you to listen, but protestors have absolutely no responsibility to find an alternative way to run the club.

Yes DC got lucky with Röhl still being available and still being willing to come after the initial rejection, but at least DC saw some quite rare sense to go get him.  I have always said that the best outcome is for DC to sell up and just move on with his life but if we assume he won't sell or no one is willing to pay his price then the next best thing is for him to put a football structure in place within the club.  The appointment of DR and the building of the backroom staff is a big step in the right direction and could be the start of building a proper structure in the club.  I would accept that alternative.

The other unanswered thing though is the finances, we as a club have cut back and the losses are not crippling like they were but if DC does not have the money to invest like we need in both the team and infrastructure of the club then we are back to square one, albeit with a very good manager.

11 minutes ago, Sykes said:

Improvement down to Röhl who Chansiri appointed and pays for. Why do you think Chansiri isn't building the club around Röhl? 

It isn't their job to find a buyer, I'm simply saying I'll never personally support a group that isn't focussed on solutions - and I think many fans feel the same way given the division amongst us at the moment.

Please don't put words in my mouth, I never said masterstroke did I.

If you stop protesting, it will be very hard to restart and get some momentum going, we have started down that path and it has to continue. I have seen some people say ( on other platforms ), wait till the end of the season, which is stupid, as the season is over, the ground is shut etc etc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Are you seriously suggesting that people paying to watch the games before returning to their jobs the following Monday should be responsible for sourcing, background checking, promoting and installing new owners? Should we also hold them accountable for the stock in the superstore, the state of the playing surface and our lack of goals from set pieces?

Do whatever you want on a Monday mate.

My own view is, if I make it my responsibility to oust an owner and put pressure on him to sell, risking division amongst fans and potential unrest within the club - then I want to know what the alternative is. This is why I don't support these protests.

Many on here clearly don't agree.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

Sorry to be the voice of reason but we’ve got a couple of months and then we’re either up or down… 

I think the smart the smart thing would be for Chansiri to sell up and fizz off but of course thats just my view.

12 minutes ago, San Clemente Owl said:

Yes DC got lucky with Röhl still being available and still being willing to come after the initial rejection, but at least DC saw some quite rare sense to go get him.  I have always said that the best outcome is for DC to sell up and just move on with his life but if we assume he won't sell or no one is willing to pay his price then the next best thing is for him to put a football structure in place within the club.  The appointment of DR and the building of the backroom staff is a big step in the right direction and could be the start of building a proper structure in the club.  I would accept that alternative.

The other unanswered thing though is the finances, we as a club have cut back and the losses are not crippling like they were but if DC does not have the money to invest like we need in both the team and infrastructure of the club then we are back to square one, albeit with a very good manager.

I think as long as DC doesn't urgently need cash to repay back his loans (which I'm assuming he doesn't but can't be sure), then he'll be happy enough to lose £5m or so a season for the foreseeable future in the hope we hit the big time.

People are saying he's strapped for cash but I doubt he's that hard up he can't afford to lose what we currently are each year.

1 minute ago, nickswfc said:

Do whatever you want on a Monday mate.

My own view is, if I make it my responsibility to oust an owner and put pressure on him to sell, risking division amongst fans and potential unrest within the club - then I want to know what the alternative is. This is why I don't support these protests.

Many on here clearly don't agree.

I understand that point of view, even though it essentially renders you voluntarily and permanently silent, given the relative powerlessness of the average fan, even in organised groups.

But when you talk of potential unrest within the club, how would that compare with the clear and increasing disconnect between boardroom and supporters, not owning our own stadium, being burdened with enormous debt, multiple charges brought by the league's authorities, a points deduction leading to relegation, increasing incidents of antisocial behaviour in the stands partially because the club doesn't adequately steward it's home, the chairman's frequent and irrational outbursts and regular turnover of senior staff for reasons that we can readily speculate about?

• Like 1