Matt Le Tissier

A classic player that we won't see the likes of again. A true one-club enigma who looked like a Rivaldo one day and Petter Rudi the next. 

However, he only has himself to blame as he was happy with the easy life at Southampton rather than trying to challenge himself at a higher club. 

19 hours ago, mildatheart67 said:

That’s because, how can you say it without being condescending.  Your typical footballer is not the sharpest tool in the box.

• Like 1

Fantastic player

A joy to watch when he wasn't playing against us

Funny how fans demand and cherish loyalty from players and managers yet when it's shown then its lazy and lacking ambition...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, scram said:

Fantastic player

A joy to watch when he wasn't playing against us

Funny how fans demand and cherish loyalty from players and managers yet when it's shown then its lazy and lacking ambition...

Quite enjoyed watching him for some of the stuff that he could pull out of the bag, but I never rated him as highly as some did. It's probably just me though.

I certainly never got the clamour for him to be in the England team that some had, and which seems to be said even more now that he's retired. 

• Haha 1

We'll never know but i have the feeling had he moved on to Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool he wouldn't have been the big fish in small pond anymore, much like Jack Grealish at Man City today..

Would definitely had more England caps though no matter how he played there...

I did my undergraduate degree in Southampton in the late '90s and we'd occasionally see Le Tissier out and about near to where we lived. I couldn't believe he was a professional footballer, he just looked so incredibly unfit.

On 01/03/2024 at 14:24, Owl_For_a_Lifetime said:

We'll never know but i have the feeling had he moved on to Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool he wouldn't have been the big fish in small pond anymore, much like Jack Grealish at Man City today..

Would definitely had more England caps though no matter how he played there...

I don’t think he’d have had that many more caps. Who is he playing in front of? 

On 28/02/2024 at 09:00, matthefish2002 said:

£3k per week in 2002 is about £5.5k in todays money, so still in top 1% of wage earners.

I don't think players on £200k per week now is healthy for the game.

Maybe it's having an effect?  They were saying on the radio the other day that the spending by the EPL in the January transfer window was down by around 80% of what it was last year.

Listened to a podcast with Le Tiss and heard it was only Tottenham that ever made a bid for him during the time Venables was manager. Very early in his career that would have been. 

Very surprised at that given the talent he had. A wonderful footballer to watch

Him and Dennis Bergkamp scored some unbelievable goals in the PL. 

What a player he was

I always thought he seemed very level headed and sensible on Soccer Saturday, he was part of the gang, inoffensive and went largely unnoticed 

Would love to see what sparked him into this crazy world of conspiracy theories, I’d guess some traumatic break up maybe but unsure.

22 minutes ago, Londoner1867 said:

What a player he was

I always thought he seemed very level headed and sensible on Soccer Saturday, he was part of the gang, inoffensive and went largely unnoticed 

Would love to see what sparked him into this crazy world of conspiracy theories, I’d guess some traumatic break up maybe but unsure.

Probably money.

Never seen a cancelled person on so many things

It’s a lucrative gig. Say you’re cancelled by the woke mob, go on GB News and the invites will come rolling in. He has too much time in his hands and too many people blowing smoke up his arse, and that’s all I will say on that matter.

I loved Le Tissier as a player. I grew up in the 90s and he was one of my faves to watch. Can’t insult his weight because I’m a Pressman fangirl, but it was kind of cool how MLT looked like a Sunday League player but didn’t play like one.

• Like 1

Of a footballer who tore Alex Fergusons Uniteds & Kevin Keegans Newcastles

arsęholes single handed wide open several times over the years,  along with Souness,Gregory,Smith Redknapps teams etc etc etc.. 

Alas a few anonymous big shot wannabe "copy n paste" critics on a second division football club website sat in their "five guys ketchup" stained vests n underpants lay critique like the football version of a Michelin star examination board ...

• Like 1

I know very little about golf, apart from you use bats and the game spoils a good walk, but how good a player is Bullard? That's rhetorical by the way, because I've seen him play. And boy can he play.