Next England manager

MSN SYSOP

On 05/09/2023 at 09:29, FreshOwl said:

Southgate gonna walk after Euro 2024 apparently. Why the hell are we wasting another tournament on him, just go now! 

Pep rumoured to be replacing him. How good would that be. We’d win the bloody lot. Finally a world class manager to get the best out of one of the strongest national teams we’ve ever had 

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47hkqvvc8pded56kqskq

• Love 1

The FA could do themselves a lot of favours by appointing Pep next.  Feel like the majority of the country would be behind it and excited to watch England games again.   

I also feel Pep would want the job, as he's now won everything with Man City (and his previous clubs).  But winning a trophy with England must be like winning Wimbledon as a tennis player.  

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Obviously Pep Guardiola is a fantastic Manager but I always think England manager should be English.
When England play Spain, Germany or whoever it is not just best England players v best Spanish players to me it is also English coaching system v Spanish coaching system.

Other nations don’t seem to care as much 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Other nations don’t seem to care as much 

Must be very rare a foreign manager has managed a national side of a major football nation.

I would consider England a major Football nation.

When was last Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina had a foreign coach?

France had a Romanian for a couple of years in the 1970s
Netherlands had a Czech and an Austrian also in the 1970s.

30 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Obviously Pep Guardiola is a fantastic Manager but I always think England manager should be English.
When England play Spain, Germany or whoever it is not just best England players v best Spanish players to me it is also English coaching system v Spanish coaching system.

You are probably right, but i don't think people and the Lionesses particularly cared they have a foreign coach help them to win the Euro's or get to a world cup final.   

If England won the next world cup with Pep as coach,  i don't think people will say it's less of an achievement with a spanish manager.   

• Love 1

On 05/09/2023 at 15:10, Kopparberg said:

Danny Murphy (I know) said on TalkSport recently that anyone who has ever been at the FA before seems to have a lot of credit in the bank with them. 

And that's why we'll always come up short in international tournaments. We'll always get a conformist in charge, someone who gets the job primarily because the FA see them as a safe pair of hands.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

Latest figures I could find say he is on £10 million a year at City, while Southgate gets £5 million a year.

Is that relative to the type of job though?  Prem and cup fixtures vs International fixtures 

I’d hope Pep would take £5m a year for the amount of time and effort involved. He could treat is as being semi retired considering the stresses of managing an elite Prem club like Man City. 

I think the problem is that some players, Kane, Walker, 30yr olds will be at the end before Pep could take over. 

2 minutes ago, Night King said:

Got to trust our system. Lee Carsley will get gig after doing well with the 21’s. 

I hope so.

I had a quick look at the Bundesliga, looks like over half the managers in they league are German. I assume the numbers are pretty much the same for the Italian and Spanish Leagues.

23 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

I know his rep is tarnished after a car crash at Chelsea (was that down to him?) but if we're looking English what about Graham Potter?

His stock was high at Brighton.

I think that's actually a good call.

Chelsea were the car crash, not Graham Potter. Nothing wrong with wanting to get ahead and progress your career, but perhaps he should have been more shrewd in picking his next employer; Chelsea have been a graveyard for managers with a bigger reputation than Potter. But he didn't become a bad manager overnight, and given time he might have turned things around. At least with England he can pick the players that suit him.

• Like 1

At face value how can you turn Pep down but I think a question would be how much time does he need with his team to get them performing as he does at club level. There seems to be so much detail and energy put into what he does there wouldn’t be the same outlet for it when he only gets the chance to meet the team a few times a year. 

I think Southgate could be missed when he goes as getting to semis and a final is no easy task or guaranteed with a new manager. But he’s been a good transitional manager given where we were and what we are now. It needs someone who knows how to deal with those big moments tactically against top teams on form. But the team also needs to enjoy it and the culture of the squad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1