Al Hilal Bid £259M For Mbappe

31 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It’s the end of football as we know it isn’t it

I think that has already happened.

I would go as so far to say it was the start of the end of football I knew as as kid was when Abramovich took over Chelsea in 2003.

Think this is just another level to it.

• Like 5

The whole point of sport is to compete. 

The players will quickly get disenfranchised with the standard more than anything else. 

The money is obscene but, Mbappe will earn stupid money regardless of whether he goes there.

Mentioned briefly in another post, but with the mad Saudi money being thrown around, surely FFP has to be reviewed. It's going to be impossible for clubs to compete as the Saudi money will drive up the cost of players across the game.

Also, it might see the likes of Chansiri look for an exit sooner rather than later - he doesn't have the resources to compete now, seemingly, so what chance does he have when this Saud effect trickles down to our level?

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Mentioned briefly in another post, but with the mad Saudi money being thrown around, surely FFP has to be reviewed. It's going to be impossible for clubs to compete as the Saudi money will drive up the cost of players across the game.

Also, it might see the likes of Chansiri look for an exit sooner rather than later - he doesn't have the resources to compete now, seemingly, so what chance does he have when this Saud effect trickles down to our level?

This I think is the end game 

FFP rules are waived in top flight; then likes of Mbappe will be straight on the plane to Newcastle utd. 

I don't know what emotion I'm supposed to feel reading that. 

Well done to the Saudi's for saying the highest number. Maybe the bid is successful and that number goes from their computer screen to the computer screen of Qatar Sports Investments in return for Mbappe's time and (maybe) effort. 

Maybe there will be longer term implications for the Premier League as Public Investment Fund owned Newcastle and Abu Dhabi owned Manchester City need to add a 2 to the start of the number they send for talented players moving forward.

Saudi Arabian side Al-Hilal have permission to speak to Kylian Mbappe after making a world record £259m bid for the Paris St-Germain forward.

The 24-year-old France captain, who has a year left on his contract, has refused to sign an extension at the French champions and was not selected for their pre-season tour to Japan.

PSG want to sell Mbappe now rather than see him leave for free next summer.

Neymar's £200m move from Barcelona to PSG in 2017 is the current record.

PSG activated Brazil forward Neymar's release clause to make him the most expensive player in the world.

Should he move, Mbappe will have commanded two of the three highest fees paid for a player after joining PSG from Monaco for £166m in 2017.

Chelsea, Manchester United, Tottenham, Inter Milan and Barcelona have all expressed an interest in Mbappe, who has previously said he intends to leave PSG for free at the end of next season and is believed to prefer a move to Real Madrid.

PSG are open to the idea of Mbappe leaving on loan this summer to see out the final year of his contract elsewhere.

This would allow him to join Real Madrid for nothing in 12 months' time, keep playing this season and generate a loan fee for PSG.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66291108

Makes no difference whether he turns it down, the ball is definitely rolling.

Game went down the money path when Sky basically took control and now we are seeing the extreme version playing out. 

Can’t blame the footballers for taking obscene amounts of money but if we really love the game, we have to turn away.

4 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

FFP needs scrapping entirely

It might be unpalatable but football desperately needs to hit the reset button

Make it a free for all - those that have money spend it - those that don't find their level or fall by the wayside

Eventually what remains will be stable and sustainable clubs operating at whatever levels are left after the melee

• Like 4
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, scram said:

FFP needs scrapping entirely

It might be unpalatable but football desperately needs to hit the reset button

Make it a free for all - those that have money spend it - those that don't find their level or fall by the wayside

Eventually what remains will be stable and sustainable clubs operating at whatever levels are left after the melee

And if Wednesday was one of those to disappear?

• Like 1

I know it will probably never happen but wage caps and ticket price caps could reset the game. Could have escalated caps for each division.

Simple approach but this ever spiralling system we have now is just going to kill the game. It’s been going on too long but whilst it’s benefitted the Premier league people were happy to look the other way.

Has to be from FIFA though so that’s that.

Edited by OneEightSixSeven

16 minutes ago, OneEightSixSeven said:

And if Wednesday was one of those to disappear?

Theres nothing i can do about that

What's happening in football is way bigger than individual clubs

It would be incumbent on each club to operate in the capacity in which they find stability and can prosper - or at least remain stable

I mean, FFP hasn't been at all damaging to clubs...

• Like 2

Football has been doomed for decades.

The horse bolted long ago and we are now seeing what might be the rather grim culmination of it.

European and particularly English football has revelled in its wealth and power for decades. Now, the Saudis have come in and are tearing up the rulebook.

PL should have never ratified the Newcastle takeover, but we are where we are.

• Like 1