Visiting grounds as neutral

24 minutes ago, marconi said:

I went to that too. Think Tommy Docherty  was Rotherham’s manager. Villa were top of the Third Division and had just signed Chris Nichol.

Seen the Blunts a few times, most memorable was when they played Fulham who had Moore, Marsh and Best in their line up.

Saw Man City v Newcastle at Maine Road. Mid seventies. Was on the way to watch the Owls at Tranmere and thought sod it, I’ll go and watch Tommy Craig playing for Newcastle.

You could pay on the gate everywhere in those days. Often gone to away matches after deciding to go on the day of the match.

I was at that Fulham game as well.  Used to be a lot better when you could rock up at the last minute if the mood took you.

ive seen shed  loads from george best best playing at toronto blizzard , ralph edstrom at gothenborg, mo diame(git) playing for vallecano at elche  but the most random    one that stands out  is donny reserves v barnsley reserves in the mid  70s .....why i went i have no idea  but i know anton outulakowski  scored for barnsley in a 2-2 draw .

Went to loads when I was a kid. Usually when Wednesday were away somewhere. Highlights include Wolves at Scarborough when the lad fell through the roof. Bizarre how they allowed that game as 1st is the season. Also remember Man City putting 10 past Huddersfield. Went to Italia 90 to watch Belgium. 

ive actually witnessed 2 pigs come to watch us around 10 years ago when we played middlesborough we needed to win to stop up . we were 2-0 up at h/t and they left . quite bonkers but true. 

i think the only neutral game i went to was rotherham vs dagenham at wembley.. a few i know were going , good excuse for a few beers in london and going to rebuilt wembley 

On 15/07/2023 at 21:21, wakefieldowl said:

With Wednesday playing Real Murcia, i thought id start a thread about visiting other grounds/ matches as a neutral.

I went to see Real Murcia play Real Madrid B the year RMurcia got promoted to La Liga. New stadium at the time which gives great views. only 15euros and a  free program. free parking outside. The support was very poor. No real atmosphere, even though they were close to going up. There were only about 6 madrid fans there too.

Murcia had 2 players sent off and clung on to a 2-1 win. most of the crowd noise aimed at the ref!!

Pity we aren't playing at La Nueva Condomina this week as its a nice ground

Love to see pics and hear of others visits

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010015.JPG

Who on earth would clone Rotherhams ground? Lol 

Me and the missus went to Rome in 2014. The Roma vs Lazio Rome Derby was on and managed to persuade her to go. Finished 0-0 but a class game and got to see Totti play in his final season.

• Like 3

Went to St Mirren vs Motherwell shortly after we'd moved to Scotland. Decided to go in the away end for the atmosphere and ended up talking to the Well fans next to me. We'd just signed Mark Reynolds from them and they were waxing lyrical about him. Left the game excited Wednesday might have the new Alan Hansen. How wrong was I (and the Well fans)!!

Gary Teale also made his St Mirren debut after leaving us. He ripped Motherwell apart, only for Motherwell to score a stoppage time winner to win 0-1 and enjoyed proper scenes in the away end!

St Mirren's stadium was only 2 years old at that point, nice little stadium. Took some pics, but they'll be on a knackered hard drive somewhere in the loft!

• Haha 1

Not so much a neutral any more, as Ayr United are my local team so I go when I can make it, but I went to Somerset Park for Ayr United vs Greenock Morton. A certain Jon Paul McGovern, was I think, making his debut for Ayr. I took a Wednesday shirt (risky taking blue and white stripped stuff to Ayr Utd given their rivalry with Kilmarnock - got a few death stares!) and went to the side of the pitch as the players were warming up, shouting JP over. He glanced over and when he saw me pull out my Wednesday shirt he came running over.

I asked him to sign my shirt - which he duly did - and he asked what I was doing up in Ayr at the game. I told him that I'd travelled up from Sheffield to watch him, to which he laughed out loud and said I had to be joking. To which I told him I was, and that I now live in the town next to Ayr so came along to watch him play. He appreciated the support and talked about missing playing at Hillsborough and what an honour it was to play for Wednesday.

Ayr Utd won 1-0 and McGovern was sh*te! 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Went to a few back in the day. Preston when I worked there in '79 (saw Curran play probably his last game for So'ton in a cup game there before he signed for us). QPR, Everton & Dundee Utd all spring to mind. Also went to a Polish game (Odra Opole) in mid '70's when on holiday there.

Saw County play a couple of times last season. 4-0 wins both times.

Meadow Lane is only down the road for me. My Dad has always had a soft spot for them and I’m taking him to the first home game of the season against Grimsby. 

IMG_1753.jpeg

IMG_1193.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

You went behind the iron curtain to communist Poland for a holiday. 

Interesting WTF:

I'm half Polish, lots of family there.

On 24/07/2023 at 13:30, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Went to St Mirren vs Motherwell shortly after we'd moved to Scotland. Decided to go in the away end for the atmosphere and ended up talking to the Well fans next to me. We'd just signed Mark Reynolds from them and they were waxing lyrical about him. Left the game excited Wednesday might have the new Alan Hansen. How wrong was I (and the Well fans)!!

Gary Teale also made his St Mirren debut after leaving us. He ripped Motherwell apart, only for Motherwell to score a stoppage time winner to win 0-1 and enjoyed proper scenes in the away end!

St Mirren's stadium was only 2 years old at that point, nice little stadium. Took some pics, but they'll be on a knackered hard drive somewhere in the loft!

That should've told you everything about that level of football 

On 24/07/2023 at 13:49, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Not so much a neutral any more, as Ayr United are my local team so I go when I can make it, but I went to Somerset Park for Ayr United vs Greenock Morton. A certain Jon Paul McGovern, was I think, making his debut for Ayr. I took a Wednesday shirt (risky taking blue and white stripped stuff to Ayr Utd given their rivalry with Kilmarnock - got a few death stares!) and went to the side of the pitch as the players were warming up, shouting JP over. He glanced over and when he saw me pull out my Wednesday shirt he came running over.

I asked him to sign my shirt - which he duly did - and he asked what I was doing up in Ayr at the game. I told him that I'd travelled up from Sheffield to watch him, to which he laughed out loud and said I had to be joking. To which I told him I was, and that I now live in the town next to Ayr so came along to watch him play. He appreciated the support and talked about missing playing at Hillsborough and what an honour it was to play for Wednesday.

Ayr Utd won 1-0 and McGovern was sh*te! 😆

I bet you made his day-nice story

On 15/07/2023 at 21:21, wakefieldowl said:

With Wednesday playing Real Murcia, i thought id start a thread about visiting other grounds/ matches as a neutral.

I went to see Real Murcia play Real Madrid B the year RMurcia got promoted to La Liga. New stadium at the time which gives great views. only 15euros and a  free program. free parking outside. The support was very poor. No real atmosphere, even though they were close to going up. There were only about 6 madrid fans there too.

Murcia had 2 players sent off and clung on to a 2-1 win. most of the crowd noise aimed at the ref!!

Pity we aren't playing at La Nueva Condomina this week as its a nice ground

Love to see pics and hear of others visits

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010015.JPG

Another soulless bowl.

lol

When I was a kid my dad used to go to different grounds in the region with a couple of mates. A lot of the time I went with them. Every weekend it would be somewhere else, depending on things such as how a team was doing, the opposition and such like.

In a way they were ‘Groundhoppers’ but only sticking to clubs within an hour or so of where we lived. I also managed to get to Plymouth when on holiday aged 11, and Burnley and Man City as freebies when my dads mate was one of the linesmen.

Therefore my list of grounds watching non-Wednesday games would be York, Hull (both grounds) Scunthorpe (both grounds) Grimsby, Lincoln, Rotherham (both grounds) Doncaster (both grounds) Chesterfield (both grounds) Mansfield, Forest, Notts County, Leicester (Filbert Street) Northampton (Newest ground) Burton Albion, Huddersfield, Leeds (Euro 96) Barnsley, Sheff Utd (went with a mate who supported Gillingham) Plymouth, Burnley, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Wembley and Stoke (Donny winning the play off to get back into the football league) 

• Like 2

Used to go and watch Mansfield Town with my mate (who supported them) when they were in the conference. Even went to Wembley to see them. 

Im planning to do more of this. Travel a lot with work and rather than spending the night in a hotel room I fancy taking in a few matches.