Visiting grounds as neutral

With Wednesday playing Real Murcia, i thought id start a thread about visiting other grounds/ matches as a neutral.

I went to see Real Murcia play Real Madrid B the year RMurcia got promoted to La Liga. New stadium at the time which gives great views. only 15euros and a  free program. free parking outside. The support was very poor. No real atmosphere, even though they were close to going up. There were only about 6 madrid fans there too.

Murcia had 2 players sent off and clung on to a 2-1 win. most of the crowd noise aimed at the ref!!

Pity we aren't playing at La Nueva Condomina this week as its a nice ground

Love to see pics and hear of others visits

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010015.JPG

• Like 3

I went to see Legia Warsaw v Kielce Korona, that was a poor game, Rangers v Motherwell in a championship playoff, both games thought the 'ultras' really ruin the atmosphere...they just sing for 90 mins, doesn't matter what happens on the pitch, like it's not reactive to what's actually happening like a  decent atmosphere would be 

i visted Warsaw for work for a few days in 2017 and got a ticket for the polish cup semi final between Legia Warsaw and  Gornik Zabrze.

Was a bit wary of going in the 'Razor' club, before, but 1 euro for a large beer was good

15 euros for half way line seat too was a bargain.

Policing was very strong with major activity when the away fans turned up

Atmosphere was very orchestrated with 1 guy with his back to the game leading the singing, but atmosphere was good.

Gornik scored first and their fans (about 1,000-1500) went mental. They all took their shirts off.........until Legia equalised and they all put them back on and LW took their shirts off.....very weird.

No real celebrations from the fans though when they scored a last minute winner. They stood up and cheered, shook hands with each other and sat down.

Very different to the UK, where wed have had a mass pile on !

20180418_180301.jpg

20180418_184737.jpg

20180418_190818.jpg

20180418_190823.jpg

20180418_190828.jpg

20180418_191127.jpg

20180418_191252.jpg

20180418_192252.jpg

20180418_192912.jpg

• Like 1

Seen a few random games overseas.

Lille vs. Monaco 

Cruzeiro vs. Vasco da Gama

Vasco da Gama vs. Gremio

I know there are others, but I can’t think of them.

Would often go and watch my “local” club when I lived in various UK cities, so I won’t count those as “neutral”.

I did once go to Filbert Street to watch Leicester play Ipswich. My mate (fat lad) got wedged stuck in the away turnstiles.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Barnsley vs Rochdale, mid 60’s

Rotherhan v Villa, early 70’s

Leeds v Wolves, 71ish

Coventry v Middlesbrough, NYD 79

Halifax v Donny, early 80’s

United v quite a few, late 60’s on

Just some off the top of my head.  Also been to Barnsley and Rotherham a few other times.

Been to a few Barnsley and Rotherham matches as a kid when Wednesday were away. Of the top of my head -

Barnsley v Middlesbrough 

Rotherham v Shrewsbury (Wembley)

Rotherham v Leyton Orient 

Barnsley v Norwich 

Rotherham v Bournemouth 

Rotherham v Swindon 

Rotherham v Crewe

Rotherham v Shrewsbury 

Barnsley v Cardiff 

West Ham v Rotherham 

Rotherham v Swansea

Been to a few but my favourite was 1990 preseason warm up in Scarborough. Scarborough played a touring Red Star Belgrade and what a team they were. I know it was only against Scarborough but you could see they were some team. They were full of future stars but the stand out was Prosinecki in the middle. That season they went on to lift the European Cup.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Rotherham vs Donny (mate is a massive Donny fan)

Loads of York games

A few Boro games 

Bayer Uerdigen vs Bayern Munich

Bayer Uerdigen vs IFK Gothenburg

Bayer Uerdigen vs Mönchengladbach 

Mönchengladbach Vs Dortmund

quite a few more Bundasliga games 

Also a few Cypriot league games

A few Saudi premier league games

A few Omani premier league games

57 minutes ago, OneEightSixSeven said:

Been to a few but my favourite was 1990 preseason warm up in Scarborough. Scarborough played a touring Red Star Belgrade and what a team they were. I know it was only against Scarborough but you could see they were some team. They were full of future stars but the stand out was Prosinecki in the middle. That season they went on to lift the European Cup.

Wow!

Used to go out with a North Yorkshire based Liverpool fan for a couple of years in the early 90s, and went to Anfield 4 times as a "neutral" (not really,  I hate Liverpool so was rooting for the opposition!) if Wednesday weren't playing or we were away and I couldn't get a ticket. They had some local supporters club which had a pool of season tickets so her and her dad were regulars but they also had spare ones available on a game by game basis, I also went with them to see Wednesday play there from the home end a couple of times. I never saw Liverpool lose from their home end unfortunately, iirc I saw them beat Wednesday 2-0 and 4-1, draw with Man City, and beat Leeds, Spurs(6-2), and Oldham. 

The Oldham game was interesting, as it was the same day Wednesday were at Man Utd for "the Steve Bruce game" which I couldnt get a ticket for. I was listening to us on a radio commentary when Wednesday got the penalty that put us ahead. I thought I should try to be quiet if we scored, but when Sheridan put it away half of the ground jumped up and celebrated! 

Never been to another game as a neutral, always wanted to go to the Nou Camp or another big famous ground but every time I've been nearby it's been either in pre-season or an international break. I was in Majorca last April and never even thought about them playing (I didn't even realise they were still in the Spanish top division!) but literally found out at the last minute when it was too late that they were at home to Atletico Madrid and I was only half an hour away so if id been thinking on (the holiday was pretty much a last minute booking) I'd have gone to that. So I missed that and also missed most of our game at Bolton on a dodgy stream on the hotel's crappy WiFi. 

5 hours ago, OneEightSixSeven said:

Did Darko Pancev play? Is that the time they won the trophy by playing totally negative & slowly, aiming for a penalty shootout from the off? Bizarre tactics but it worked iirc. 

In the 1980's my brother did a German exchange thing, when the lad came over here we wanted to take him to a match. Wednesday were away and there was no way we would go to watch the pigs. We went to see Barnsley V Palace. Think it was 1-1. I just remember being amazed that they didn't have fences all around the ground like we did.

37 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Did Darko Pancev play? Is that the time they won the trophy by playing totally negative & slowly, aiming for a penalty shootout from the off? Bizarre tactics but it worked iirc. 

Pancev did play yes as well as Jugovic,  Savicevic, Mihajlovic, Belodedici and Binic. 
Yes they did play for pens in the final which was sad as they had the team to win it anyway but the final had been built up as Marseilles, they were massive underdogs.

The run to the final though was some of the best counter attacking football you’ll ever see. Took apart Rangers, Dynamo Dresden and saw off Bayern in the semi and did it in style.

On 16/07/2023 at 08:55, Sham67 said:

Barnsley vs Rochdale, mid 60’s

Leeds v Wolves, 71ish

Coventry v Middlesbrough, NYD 79

Halifax v Donny, early 80’s

United v quite a few, late 60’s on

Just some off the top of my head.  Also been to Barnsley and Rotherham a few other times.

Just remembered.  3 of us did Arsenal v Chelsea and West Ham v Cardiff on Easter Monday 1978.  Also went to see Sheffield Tigers race at Wimbledon the same night.  Then Brentford v Wednesday the next night.

On 16/07/2023 at 08:55, Sham67 said:

I went to that too. Think Tommy Docherty  was Rotherham’s manager. Villa were top of the Third Division and had just signed Chris Nichol.

Seen the Blunts a few times, most memorable was when they played Fulham who had Moore, Marsh and Best in their line up.

Saw Man City v Newcastle at Maine Road. Mid seventies. Was on the way to watch the Owls at Tranmere and thought sod it, I’ll go and watch Tommy Craig playing for Newcastle.

You could pay on the gate everywhere in those days. Often gone to away matches after deciding to go on the day of the match.

1 minute ago, marconi said:

I went to that too. Think Tommy Docherty  was Rotherham’s manager. Villa were top of the Third Division and had just signed Chris Nichol.

Seen the Blunts a few times, most memorable was when they played Fulham who had Moore, Marsh and Best in their line up.

Saw Man City v Newcastle at Maine Road. Mid seventies. Was on the way to watch the Owls at Tranmere and thought sod it, I’ll go and watch Tommy Craig playing for Newcastle.

You could pay on the gate everywhere in those days. Often gone to away matches after deciding to go on the day of the match.

Went to see Arsenal at the Blunts years ago when Malcolm Macdonald played up front, couldn’t stop a pig in an entry as it were but he knew where the net was. 5-0 to Arsenal. Blunts had a little run where they lost by five goals, three games on the bounce. Arsenal, Sunderland and Bolton who had Worthington playing for them.