Team for FGR

We could really do with six points from our next two games. Both are away with a pretty short turnaround between them. DM is going to have to use his squad carefully now and be sensible about over using some of our older players. Flint and Vaulks look like they might have been a bit overplayed and I worry about back to back starts for Gregory. 

I think DM might rest Flint and maybe put Bakinson along side Vaulks to share the defensive work. Given how deep FGR will sit I wouldn’t be surprised to see James back as a CB linking up with Johnson on the left. DM doesn’t seem to mind slightly lopsided setups and I could see Sunday being one of them. 

Maybe:

Dawson 

James

Famewo

Iorfa

Johnson

Bakinson

Vaulks

Palmer

Bannan

Gregory

Smith

Loads of play down the left flank (I think they call it ‘overloads’ nowadays) but still plenty of pace and athleticism on the right if FGR try to counter it. 

16 hours ago, Owls1963 said:

First time posting after many years of reading.

for something completely different, been coaching for many years/my gut feeling,

move Palmer to a Forward Striker he’s hungry he’s fast, with Shipston . Put Smith on the right midfield.. let them run at the defense, forcing the defenders to defend  more, leaving the midfield of ours open for longer shots.

No offense intended but who the fizz have you been coaching? 

• Haha 2

Dawson

Iorfa

Flint

Famewo

Palmer

Adeniran

Vaulks

Bannan

Johnson

Smith

Gregory

Stockdale

Brown

Hunt

James

FDB

Bakinson

Wilks

No knee jerk reactions needed, go with the strongest squad, which without Windass and Byers is the side that started the other night. Can't really squeeze James in unfortunately, so yeah i'd go unchanged with Wilks back on the bench and give Denis another shot at cementing that 3rd centre midfield position.

Could try summat a bit different if Wilks is fit and Moore feels the need for rotation.

Dawson

Palmer Famewo James

Hunt Bakinson Bannan Johnson 

Wilks Smith Adeniran

subs

Flint Gregory Brown Vaulks Shipstone Bashiru

we should see plenty of the ball and Palmer and James can provide overlaps out wide, plenty on the bench to change formation or give a few a rest and would ease Wilks back.

We are gunna need everyone for the run in

16 hours ago, Owls1963 said:

for something completely different, been coaching for many years/my gut feeling,

move Palmer to a Forward Striker he’s hungry he’s fast, with Shipston . Put Smith on the right midfield.. let them run at the defense, forcing the defenders to defend  more, leaving the midfield of ours open for longer shots.

Christ I can see why you've held back from posting before my friend, that MLS stuff across the pond must have poisoned your eyes

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Pieman said:

Dawson

Iorfa.     Famewo.  James

Palmer.     Vaulks.   Bako.     Marv

Baz

Smith.    Greggs

Yes that would be mine...give Flint a rest and putting Bako in pushes Baz further forward

Edited by daveyboy66

14 hours ago, Pieman said:

Dawson

Iorfa.     Famewo.  James

Palmer.     Vaulks.   Bako.     Marv

Baz

Smith.    Greggs

I'd go with that. 

Reading more about Forest Green's recent form likely they will defend deep and try to counter attack. They played vs Plymouth without a striker?

A rest for Flint and Bakinson in midfield, who is supposed to be a creative midfielder makes sense. 

Edited by striker

18 hours ago, Owls1963 said:

It's a definite no from me, however, welcome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dawson

Palmer

Iorfa

Flint

Famewo

Johnson

Bannan

Vaulks

Adeniran

Smith

Gregory

Really wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Unchanged. Let the players who lost get themselves back on track.

If Flint needs a rest that’s fine though. James comes in and Famewo plays central defence.

On 23/03/2023 at 11:16, Owls1963 said:

So glad Palmer was the most forward player on the field for Wednesday’s on the 4-4 draw. Water game though.