Womens Euros

On 27/07/2022 at 10:49, @owlstalk said:

37% of schools still don't allow girls to play football in PE at school

That sounds/reads like something you'd get in Afghanistan or the UAE or Sudan or something

Is there a list anywhere of schools in Sheffield that don't allow girls to play? We now need to name and shame them. They should be closed down for not being fit for purpose anymore for a modern world.

On 26/07/2022 at 22:15, Nero said:

Sadly the women's game is much more 'professional' than it used to be in terms of dives, time wasting erc. Anybody watching our first penalty of the tournament v Austria or the Spain game wouldnt have such a rosy view.

Playing Scandinavian sides in any football is always relatively fair.

Hardly any rolling around or play acting compared to the blokes. Makes it so much better to watch. Loving it.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

'LADS LADS LADS' love to hate the women's game don't they

Don’t hate the women’s game at all.

Good luck to them. 

What I don’t like is the constant hype surrounding it, and the riding on the back of the mens game.

All this talk that the number 9 has scored more than Shearer, already, there are already murmurs of equal pay.

If the women’s game has come so far and it is such a compelling product to attract mass support, maybe it’s time for them to stand on their own two feet rather than being subsidised by male parent clubs. Other than the big marquee internationals & women’s cup finals, what genuine crowds do they attract and what gate income does it generate. 

I’m all for female participation in any sport, Women’s golf for instance, is a much purer form of the game because they can’t rely on the raw power of the men. Take away the power element & the lady golfers would hold their own.

This can’t be said in football, as demonstrated by the Australian womens team being beaten 11-0 by a schoolboy team a while ago.

Embrace the game but stop the over the top hype.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Nowhere near as odd as some of yours today. 

It's like you're deliberately misrepresenting posts to make it look like they're slating the game.

The discussion's going quite well with some well considered posts, stop trying to start something with the edgy 'Lads Lads' rubbish.

Stop slating the game then

*runs off*

Come on now 

That one was funny 

Apologies all round if I got wrong end of stick. Am oversensitive to some of the recent knuckledragger posts we have been having 👍

thanks for giving me heads up and correcting me 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Stop slating the game then

*runs off*

Come on now 

That one was funny 

Apologies all round if I got wrong end of stick. Am oversensitive to some of the recent knuckledragger posts we have been having 👍

thanks for giving me heads up and correcting me 

You're never going to change someone's point of view through dismissal and ridicule.

You change points of view through engagement and mutual respect.

Take their points, listen to them. Try and see their concerns, as most do have genuine concerns underlying their issues and try to address those concerns. That's how people change.

Dismissal and ridicule just entrench their views and make them double down. And rightly so. If you can't debate them on their concern and have to shut down the conversation, then maybe it's you whose in the wrong.

The quicker we can get away from the personal attacks, dismissal and ridicule, and actually debate issues in good faith, then the quicker we'll get to a better world, not the clusterfuck we have today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

You're never going to change someone's point of view through dismissal and ridicule.

Take their points, listen to them. Try and see their concerns, as most do have genuine concerns underlying their issues and try to address those concerns. That's how people change.

Dismissal and ridicule just entrench their views and make them double down. And rightly so. If you can't debate them on their concern and have to shut down the conversation, then maybe it's you whose in the wrong.

The quicker we can get away from the personal attacks, dismissal and ridicule, and actually debate issues in good faith, then the quicker we'll get to a better world, not the clusterfuck we have today.

Agreed

I struggle more than most because I have to admin this site

if only you saw the stuff We have to read sometimes that we have to deal with

But you’re right there is no excuse 

I need to do better 

Today I’ve been to Huddersfield town centre which certainly hasn’t helped matters 

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Ridicule and mocking people who hold outdated opinions is a legitimate form of attack .

• Thanks 1

On 27/07/2022 at 17:27, DJMortimer said:

There is a vast, vast difference though. It will sadly creep in almost inevitably I'm sure. In this tournament, Spain seemed to start with a gameplan against us that included a fair amount of sh*thousing and in the last World Cup, the US in particular were not short of a few dirty tricks.

When did the diving and shithousery start in the mens game? I’d say it’s a combination of 3 things

1 more money involved in the game (and bigger prizes)

2 more overseas players being introduced into the English leagues (Italians in-particular were noted for it in the 90s)

3 Over hyping of games by the media. Look how Sky have built up some games over the years, almost like some games are the be all and end all.

if the womens game does continue to progress, what’s to stop any of the above creeping in?

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Ridicule and mocking people who hold outdated opinions is a legitimate form of attack .

Attack being the word.

You can't fight everybody. You don't have to. All that ends with is them fighting back and nothing changes.

Engage. Educate. Debate. Persuade.

And who says their views are outdated? If they're so wrong, obviously you'll have plenty to debate with them.

Most of the posts in this thread that are 'outdated' as you put it are "I don't watch it because" or "it's not for me because..."

So why not debate their reasons?

Quality, direct them to the highlights, show them the improvement since they last watched it.

Shoving it down our throats, this tournament has been pretty low key compared to previous when it was wall to wall.

But also see where they have a point. The media are pushing the comparisons to the men's game. The activism.

These things do put people off, but help them to see past it, to ignore the media testicles and take it for what it is.

(This last bit should apply to everything where the media's involved these days)

At the end of the day it's a game, it should be fun, and definitely not something to fight over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Can't be having THAT can we?

They should get back in t'kitchen eh?

AMIRITELADS?

Is this an actual forum for grown up debate or a platform for your pre-conceived opinions which no one is allowed to deviate from?

I gave my opinion as to why I think the recent hysteria over women’s football is all hype over genuine quality and you pick out one line, quote it out of context and equate it as a ‘knuckle dragger’ opinion because it doesn’t match your over inflated view of things.

If you don’t want genuine debate and don’t want to hear any views not 100% in line with yours, shut the site totally, talk to yourself all day and that way you’ll get 100% agreement with your own opinions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Miffed said:

When did the diving and shithousery start in the mens game? I’d say it’s a combination of 3 things

1 more money involved in the game (and bigger prizes)

2 more overseas players being introduced into the English leagues (Italians in-particular were noted for it in the 90s)

3 Over hyping of games by the media. Look how Sky have built up some games over the years, almost like some games are the be all and end all.

if the womens game does continue to progress, what’s to stop any of the above creeping in?

Players do it because it works.

It works because referees and rule makers dont really understand/ care about it.

It will only be solved by rule changes and by referees forcing consequences which make it stop working

But referees and rule makers dont care or understand 

So it will carry on. Might as well stop worrying about it.

41 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Is this an actual forum for grown up debate or a platform for your pre-conceived opinions which no one is allowed to deviate from?

I gave my opinion as to why I think the recent hysteria over women’s football is all hype over genuine quality and you pick out one line, quote it out of context and equate it as a ‘knuckle dragger’ opinion because it doesn’t match your over inflated view of things.

If you don’t want genuine debate and don’t want to hear any views not 100% in line with yours, shut the site totally, talk to yourself all day and that way you’ll get 100% agreement with your own opinions.

I apologise

Youre right 

Women should stay in the kitchen 

Your posts in the thread have been a bit dismissive and mocking of womens football

I think that’s not the best viewpoint 

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

Attack being the word.

You can't fight everybody. You don't have to. All that ends with is them fighting back and nothing changes.

Engage. Educate. Debate. Persuade.

And who says their views are outdated? If they're so wrong, obviously you'll have plenty to debate with them.

Most of the posts in this thread that are 'outdated' as you put it are "I don't watch it because" or "it's not for me because..."

So why not debate their reasons?

Quality, direct them to the highlights, show them the improvement since they last watched it.

Shoving it down our throats, this tournament has been pretty low key compared to previous when it was wall to wall.

But also see where they have a point. The media are pushing the comparisons to the men's game. The activism.

These things do put people off, but help them to see past it, to ignore the media testicles and take it for what it is.

(This last bit should apply to everything where the media's involved these days)

At the end of the day it's a game, it should be fun, and definitely not something to fight over.

You don't debate bigots, you use ridicule against them to highlight the stupidity of their views.   Not necessarily changing the mind of the bigot but influencing the views of others.  Its a well tried method. 

• Like 1

I still don’t understand the people who:

1) compare the womens game to the mens 

2) think comparing the womens game which is still in total infancy against a decades old mens game with years and years and years of evolution is a fair or intelligent comparison 

3) think the womens game is a failure if it doesn’t appeal to THEM specifically and dismissing the growth of the sport in this country 

4) dismiss the growth of the game in such a short space of time as if it’s not growing month on month 

Owlstalk Shop