Womens Euros

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

You don't debate bigots, you use ridicule against them to highlight the stupidity of their views.   Not necessarily changing the mind of the bigot but influencing the views of others.  Its a well tried method. 

Sounds like a pretty bigotted approach to me.

The door swings both ways.

Screenshot_20220728-231205_Brave.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonder how many of the ‘they are better than the men ‘ brigade will be watching women’s football in 3 weeks? Let people express there opinions...there’s no right or wrong..it’s opinions..so many people these days telling us what we should watch..who we should vote for..wat newspaper is good..wat newspaper is bad...etc etc..give it a rest ffs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

Attack being the word.

You can't fight everybody. You don't have to. All that ends with is them fighting back and nothing changes.

Engage. Educate. Debate. Persuade.

And who says their views are outdated? If they're so wrong, obviously you'll have plenty to debate with them.

Most of the posts in this thread that are 'outdated' as you put it are "I don't watch it because" or "it's not for me because..."

So why not debate their reasons?

Quality, direct them to the highlights, show them the improvement since they last watched it.

Shoving it down our throats, this tournament has been pretty low key compared to previous when it was wall to wall.

But also see where they have a point. The media are pushing the comparisons to the men's game. The activism.

These things do put people off, but help them to see past it, to ignore the media testicles and take it for what it is.

(This last bit should apply to everything where the media's involved these days)

At the end of the day it's a game, it should be fun, and definitely not something to fight over.

Half the posts have pointed out how stupid it is to compare the mens and womens games.  Yet the other half of the posters can't help themselves.

Just do what I do, ignore the before the match and half time discussions.  It's not hard to ignore the BBC if you actually want to.  People are just jumping on the anti-bbc bandwagon because they are very progressive and it challenges their inflexible and entrenched old fashioned beliefs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The coach said:

Wonder how many of the ‘they are better than the men ‘ brigade will be watching women’s football in 3 weeks? Let people express there opinions...there’s no right or wrong..it’s opinions..so many people these days telling us what we should watch..who we should vote for..wat newspaper is good..wat newspaper is bad...etc etc..give it a rest ffs

STOP TELLING US WHAT TO DO shouts man telling us what to do

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Look at all the comedies which have mocked the above, changing the views of millions its a well tried method.

This is true 

I never once believed ice cream vans could travel over 5mph until Eric and Ernie did that gag when Eric looked out the window and heard a siren speed past 

Also Benny Hills song about Ernie 

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, The coach said:

Racism is just an opinion and it shouldn't be challenged? Is that what you're advocating?

36 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Is this an actual forum for grown up debate or a platform for your pre-conceived opinions which no one is allowed to deviate from?

I gave my opinion as to why I think the recent hysteria over women’s football is all hype over genuine quality and you pick out one line, quote it out of context and equate it as a ‘knuckle dragger’ opinion because it doesn’t match your over inflated view of things.

If you don’t want genuine debate and don’t want to hear any views not 100% in line with yours, shut the site totally, talk to yourself all day and that way you’ll get 100% agreement with your own opinions.

Yes I put one post on here that increased coverage of the WSL is likely to mean reduced coverage of the EFL (and leagues 1 and 2) and I was told that was ‘absolute paranoid baloney’.

It’s happened in cricket that increased coverage of the womens game has reduced the amount of mens cricket that’s televised by sky so surely it’ll happen in football too now.

Yorkshire used to be on sky about 10 times a year in the blast and one day cup. This year we’ve only been on against Lancashire and in the blast knock out.

At least it’d mean less kick off times get changed and you’ll still be able to stream Wednesday games but I think we’ll see the amount of times we’re on sky sports reduce as more WSL is televised. Maybe not this season because the tv deals are already signed but the tv coverage for the EFL will drop off in the next few years 

Of course its opinions.  It's the frigging internet, it's what it was designed for.  The democratisation of information and opinions.  If you don't like it, close the page, choose another page. Stop and argue if you want, if you don't move on.  It's not going anywhere and it's not going to change.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, pat blondeau said:

Yes I put one post on here that increased coverage of the WSL is likely to mean reduced coverage of the EFL (and leagues 1 and 2) and I was told that was ‘absolute paranoid baloney’.

It’s happened in cricket that increased coverage of the womens game has reduced the amount of mens cricket that’s televised by sky so surely it’ll happen in football too now.

Yorkshire used to be on sky about 10 times a year in the blast and one day cup. This year we’ve only been on against Lancashire and in the blast knock out.

At least it’d mean less kick off times get changed and you’ll still be able to stream Wednesday games but I think we’ll see the amount of times we’re on sky sports reduce as more WSL is televised. Maybe not this season because the tv deals are already signed but the tv coverage for the EFL will drop off in the next few years 

Does it matter?  Either go to Hillsbro or watch it on Iplayer.  This is petty.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Do you not think it will have its own channel?

Anyway the future is Individual club tv channels so problem solved

So don’t panic too much about being forced to watch womens football - your fears are totally unfounded (eg paranoid baloney)

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

The men’s game has nothing to learn from it.

Cutting through all the media frenzy. It’s basically just a watered down, slower, less intense, version in its early days of development. 

I can see why people have warmed to it, but to be honest, some of the play, crosses, marking, closing down would have caused outrage if repeated in the mens game.

There are dramatic changes that need making in ALL of football, which are touched on in the ‘ EFL, clamping down’ thread, but nothing I’ve seen in the women’s game is remotely relevant to the men’s that we could ‘learn from’!

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

The post I agreed with detailed a few things that the men’s would benefit from:

Less time wasting.

Fewer feigning injury.

Far less cheating/diving.

Less wrestling in the penalty box from corners.

Way less dissent.

These issues have ruined the mens game and I don’t believe the EFL will sufficiently address any of these issues. 

On the football side, compare the quality of the crosses England’s women make to most mens teams. The women get it into the danger areas most times. You watch most mens games - many crosses hit the first man or are over hit. They also get more efforts on target as the power of the men often results in the shots going way over the bar (as a regular at Hillsborough, you’ll witness plenty of that).

Clearly you can’t compare the two on physical attributes, and there is many aspects of the women’s game that are inferior - e.g. goalkeepers and heading to add to some you mention - and I think it’s only the top international sides who demonstrate enough quality to watch.

• Love 1

Basically..read the Gaurdian love Starmer = the best people ever..Read the Mail and Like Boris = Evil ...wonder why Labour are unelectable and keép losing elections..maybe the ‘majority’ opinions...are actually the minority..but anyway this is supposed to be a football forum..and a wednesday ‘matchday’  forum..the sooner the real stuff starts the better

DONT TALK POLITICS demands man posting about politics when nobody else is 

Owlstalk Shop

Basically..read the Gaurdian love Starmer = the best people ever..Read the Mail and Like Boris = Evil ...wonder why Labour are unelectable and keép losing elections..maybe the ‘majority’ opinions...are actually the minority..but anyway this is supposed to be a football forum..and a wednesday ‘matchday’  forum..the sooner the real stuff starts the better

Everyone has got an agenda...that's the truth..And once you realise that it all makes sense.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

depends 

I bet women and girls watch it more now after the Euros success 

They will. And it will get better at all levels. The improvement of teams in the women’s game is phenomenal in recent years.

• Like 1

Just now, 4evaowl said:

They will. And it will get better at all levels. The improvement of teams in the women’s game is phenomenal in recent years.

Big time 

It’s coming on leaps and bounds now 

Rapid growth 

Rapid improvement 

Rapid successes

Owlstalk Shop

They might lose the election but still hold the moral high ground, yes they want to run the country but not at the expense of their principles.

The tory party allows bigots to come together.