Womens Euros

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Can anyone help him out?  What should he do instead?

He could stick to watching 0-0 draws in League One where people roll around clutching their faces, fall down and waste time and dont' put any effort in

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Yep think loads of us have fallen in the trap of comparing men v women and maybe that was to protect our male pride, "How dare women think they have a right to enjoy football?"  But we move on, educate ourselves start watching the game in a new light, now when I watch the game I'm not even thinking they are women (same as I have never thought that men are men) just watch it one team against the other. 

But it's a trap that was made by the media and Women's football.

I'll bet that most people's first impression of it was the World Cup a few years ago, which was plastered everywhere at the time, with the most highlighted part being the equal pay row from Megan Rapino and the US women's team, same job, same pay. Since then, the media has tried to compare them to the men at every opportunity.

They push the comparisons, but anyone mentions the unfavourable ones is a dinosaur or gammon.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I've said before, there's an amazing opportunity to push the women's game as a family friendly alternative to the modern men's game, cheaper, safer, more fun, without all the rivalries and partisanship of the current game. Non segregated, fun atmosphere.

Just a good day out.

But to do that, they need to push the differences, not the similarities.

I love football, and take my kids to non league as they prefer it to Hillsborough, but if there was a decent level of women's football, I'd take them there instead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Taken as a separate entity the women`s game is on a huge upward curve which is great to see , the quality is improving all the time and could be improved further with a few tweaks (goal size for one).

This has to be a good thing , and you would have to be one miserable bugger to deny this  , thousands of young girls will be encouraged to take up the sport which is brilliant for a whole variety of reasons.

Do I watch it myself?......not a great deal no , bit like Rugby Union I watch the major tournaments  but so what ?..........I don`t watch F1 , Show jumping , Rugby League etc , personal choice.

Where it can fall down is the rush to compare all the time and the sense of entitlement from some in the women`s game.

Lianne Sanderson was on talksport a few months ago arguing with Simon Jordan , saying the rewards in the women`s game should be far higher , they should play in better stadiums and have more media coverage etc.

Simon Jordan was trying to make the point ( and obviously got villified for it) that whilst the FA should be doing more for the women`s game at some point it has to aim towards being more self funded through sponsorship / ticket sales etc..................................The average WSL attendance is around 2,000.....which is less than the National League , probably more like National League North / South , so by that comparison you would say the media coverage for the Women is vastly over represented................but as I say , that is why comparisons don`t help , just let the Women`s game grow and prosper in it`s own right.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I really didn’t use to like womens football. Most of the games I had seen had been comical and I would always compare to the mens game. For this tournament I have tried to see it as a completely different game to the mens and enjoyed it for what it is. Yes some of the play has been poor but then again there has been some real quality every now and then. Looking forward to the final. Beating Germany any time is always good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Taken as a separate entity the women`s game is on a huge upward curve which is great to see , the quality is improving all the time and could be improved further with a few tweaks (goal size for one).

This has to be a good thing , and you would have to be one miserable bugger to deny this  , thousands of young girls will be encouraged to take up the sport which is brilliant for a whole variety of reasons.

Do I watch it myself?......not a great deal no , bit like Rugby Union I watch the major tournaments  but so what ?..........I don`t watch F1 , Show jumping , Rugby League etc , personal choice.

Where it can fall down is the rush to compare all the time and the sense of entitlement from some in the women`s game.

Lianne Sanderson was on talksport a few months ago arguing with Simon Jordan , saying the rewards in the women`s game should be far higher , they should play in better stadiums and have more media coverage etc.

Simon Jordan was trying to make the point ( and obviously got villified for it) that whilst the FA should be doing more for the women`s game at some point it has to aim towards being more self funded through sponsorship / ticket sales etc..................................The average WSL attendance is around 2,000.....which is less than the National League , probably more like National League North / South , so by that comparison you would say the media coverage for the Women is vastly over represented................but as I say , that is why comparisons don`t help , just let the Women`s game grow and prosper in it`s own right.

The big test will be whether they can capitalise on the current hype.

The standards of football at the euros has been great, but once it ends and people start watching the WSL or other domestic games, I'm worried that the shine will fall off when people see the standards outside the top few clubs, as the talent is very concentrated at the top 3-4 as they snatch any decent player up straight away.

2 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

I'll bet that most people's first impression of it was the World Cup a few years ago, which was plastered everywhere at the time, with the most highlighted part being the equal pay row from Megan Rapino and the US women's team, same job, same pay. Since then, the media has tried to compare them to the men at every opportunity.

I'm absolutely on board with women's football and have been watching it on and off for a few years; even staying up at ungodly hours watching overseas international tournaments. But what a truly horrible character she is. Presumably she perceives herself as an icon for a cause but I would think she has had much more of an effect turning people against it rather than for it, such is her utter lack of humility, perspective and respect. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm absolutely on board with women's football and have been watching it on and off for a few years; even staying up at ungodly hours watching overseas international tournaments. But what a truly horrible character she is. Presumably she perceives herself as an icon for a cause but I would think she has had much more of an effect turning people against it rather than for it, such is her utter lack of humility, perspective and respect. 

I personally think that she set the women's game back years with that campaign.

What should have been a breakthrough tournament was overshadowed by an activist campaign that was never going to win. (It was found in court afterwards that the US women's team were paid more than the men for internationals as the men were mainly paid by their clubs)

All it did was highlight the differences in quality with the men's game at a time when the quality just wasn't there.

3 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

I love football, and take my kids to non league as they prefer it to Hillsborough, but if there was a decent level of women's football, I'd take them there instead.

How many women's games have you been to that weren't enjoyable or up to scratch?

Owlstalk Shop

12 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Are people really saying one of the goals last night was one of the best goals ever? I take it they mean that back heel? If so it was good but not that special ffs. 

Another one who's never played football cos' if you had you'd realise was a great goal it was

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Pile on Megan Rapino time by the looks of it

I am judging her (to paraphrase Martin Luther King) by the content of her character, as anyone should be. It is what it is. Nothing to do whatsoever with her looks, sexuality, hair colour, politics etc.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How many women's games have you been to that weren't enjoyable or up to scratch?

I've been to a bit, and it's not the best lower down the domestic leagues. I also watch a fair bit of the WSL, BT show games on a Saturday and Sunday morning, don't know about this season though.

But it's not about that.

It's about whether I'd choose to go over going to a men's game and as it stands, outside the international games, no I wouldn't. 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

I really didn’t use to like womens football. Most of the games I had seen had been comical and I would always compare to the mens game. For this tournament I have tried to see it as a completely different game to the mens and enjoyed it for what it is. Yes some of the play has been poor but then again there has been some real quality every now and then. Looking forward to the final. Beating Germany any time is always good. 

Totally agree.

Women's football has come on leaps and bounds in the past couple of decades. I remember watching a match about 20/25 years ago and it was a pretty dreadful experience but the quality these days, especially at the Euros, is very watchable. It's taken about 50 years to weed out the weaker international teams in men's football but it looks like women's football is developing a lot faster.

Women in sport as a whole is now much more acceptable and accessible. There's no reason why the popularity of women's sport, not just football but athletics, tennis, cycling, etc., cannot continue to grow for a good few years yet.

Listening to the car radio yesterday, the bloke that was doing the news bulletins said that is some of the best football seen at Bramall Lane. The bar's not really set that high really when it comes to football played there.

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Another one who's never played football cos' if you had you'd realise was a great goal it was

Whilst I agree - the 'Another one who's never played football' thing really needs to be dropped now

It's 2022 and it's been known online that anyone for about 10 years now that anyone trying to use that doesn't believe in the value or strength of their own argument so tries to throw it in to gain more credibility

Strike it off ya cliche list Daveyboy - it does you no favours

But it definitely WAS a great goal ⚽

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF

No it isn't?!?

Was your question not aimed at this?

5 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

3 hours ago, Screen Door Slams said:

As a woman I’d say I agree with most of this. 

As a former goalkeeper I also think womens goals are just too big for the stature of most female goalies. 

I also don’t think *currently* the womens game warrants bigger stadiums or bigger rewards and that at some point you kinda max out on what media coverage can give the sport financially. However 10 years ago at school I couldn’t imagine this kinda hype over womens football, so who’s to say where itll be in another 10 years.

What I am gonna do this season is make a conscious effort to watch more WSL games when they’re on telly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Women in sport as a whole is now much more acceptable and accessible. There's no reason why the popularity of women's sport, not just football but athletics, tennis, cycling, etc., cannot continue to grow for a good few years yet.

Totally

As a sports fan, I get the same enjoyment supporting Jess Ennis, Rebecca Adlington, Laura Trott,  Emma Raducanu as I do Mo Farah, Adam Peaty, Jason Kenny or Andy Murray

Am I expecting them to be able to compete against each other, of course not

Similarly with the women’s football, why should we feel the need to compare it to the men’s game? Just enjoy it as a competitive event, get patriotic and suck up the inevitable disappointment 😆

15 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

As a woman I’d say I agree with most of this. 

As a former goalkeeper I also think womens goals are just too big for the stature of most female goalies. 

I also don’t think *currently* the womens game warrants bigger stadiums or bigger rewards and that at some point you kinda max out on what media coverage can give the sport financially. However 10 years ago at school I couldn’t imagine this kinda hype over womens football, so who’s to say where itll be in another 10 years.

What I am gonna do this season is make a conscious effort to watch more WSL games when they’re on telly.

I agree with the goal sizes. Some of the lower games and international friendlies are pretty much shoot on sight, with loads just going straight over/around the shorter keepers.

What would you think about seperating the men's clubs with regards to funding and having a collective pot for the WSL, from self funding topped up with Lottery, EPL solidarity money or whatever, to make the league more competitive and stop the talent just playing for Chelsea/Arsenal/Man City who are outspending the rest of the league by miles? Increase the level of the game by a whole rather than a select few.

Watching the WSL, there's a huge gulf, with the big 4 being the best of what's been on display over the last week or two, to the rest being borderline amateurs, with the funding to match.