Womens Euros

I think the WSL blundered when they went back to having a winter season after going to summer seasons a few years ago.

A big part of the crowds at the Euros have been young girls and I imagine it's more difficult to get young girls interested in going to watch a game on a cold winter's day.

Most WSL games only have a few hundred spectators. Summer football and nicer weather would attract more to watch and they wouldn't be competing with the men's game.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

But it's a trap that was made by the media and Women's football.

I'll bet that most people's first impression of it was the World Cup a few years ago, which was plastered everywhere at the time, with the most highlighted part being the equal pay row from Megan Rapino and the US women's team, same job, same pay. Since then, the media has tried to compare them to the men at every opportunity.

They push the comparisons, but anyone mentions the unfavourable ones is a dinosaur or gammon.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I've said before, there's an amazing opportunity to push the women's game as a family friendly alternative to the modern men's game, cheaper, safer, more fun, without all the rivalries and partisanship of the current game. Non segregated, fun atmosphere.

Just a good day out.

But to do that, they need to push the differences, not the similarities.

I love football, and take my kids to non league as they prefer it to Hillsborough, but if there was a decent level of women's football, I'd take them there instead.

Great post mate,totally agree.....

On 27/07/2022 at 00:03, crookesowl said:

Why not? Give it a chance. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the matches and it is very watchable

It's come a long way since I had an ex girlfriend who played for Leeds ladies 10-15 years ago .I'm still good friends with her and seen it change and involve through the years . The extra funding and big prem clubs being involved has really helped up the standard . Though the goalkeeping standard had been still awful in general ,but does seem to be improving.

• Like 1

On 26/07/2022 at 22:47, 4evaowl said:

Spot on. The men’s game has a lot to learn from it.

The men’s game has nothing to learn from it.

Cutting through all the media frenzy. It’s basically just a watered down, slower, less intense, version in its early days of development. 

I can see why people have warmed to it, but to be honest, some of the play, crosses, marking, closing down would have caused outrage if repeated in the mens game.

There are dramatic changes that need making in ALL of football, which are touched on in the ‘ EFL, clamping down’ thread, but nothing I’ve seen in the women’s game is remotely relevant to the men’s that we could ‘learn from’!

• Like 2

On 26/07/2022 at 22:47, 4evaowl said:

Spot on. The men’s game has a lot to learn from it.

And interesting how the 'no black players' issue, of course wasn't ever an issue, just people who can't wait to moan.  Pick the 11 best players - colour doesn't come into it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

The men’s game has nothing to learn from it.

Cutting through all the media frenzy. It’s basically just a watered down, slower, less intense, version in its early days of development. 

I can see why people have warmed to it, but to be honest, some of the play, crosses, marking, closing down would have caused outrage if repeated in the mens game.

There are dramatic changes that need making in ALL of football, which are touched on in the ‘ EFL, clamping down’ thread, but nothing I’ve seen in the women’s game is remotely relevant to the men’s that we could ‘learn from’!

Tolerance and acceptance would be two

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Maybe in hindsight there ARE  a few things we could learn from.

We could do Mexican waves and have clackers that say GOAL on them.

We have vuvuzela and them cardboard clapper things we had at the playoff final

And a nice brass band to play happy songs for us

And of course we have those lads lads lads who stand and point at things all through the game

Loads of pointing skills going on there

Pointing all game

Lots to offer the womens game

They could learn from the mans game

Mostly pointing 

Mind you one thing that COULD catch on from the mens game to the ladies game is those cute little stone island/burberry uniforms that the lads lads lads wear. The ladies might want to start an equivalent brigade at their games

They just need to nip to Ingoldmells market first tho too to get the uniforms from the same places most of the lads lads lads do

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop