Smith signing now indicates 3-5-2 as preferred option?

I was a bit worried earlier in summer as the rumours were that Moore wanted to go back to 4-2-3-1, whereas 3-5-2 was key to our 2nd half of season turnaround.

But now with Smith confirmed it seems likely we'll keep 3-5-2 as the main option? I can't see any other formation with 2 main strikers that we'd use, and Smith and Gregory should be a huge handful for everyone this season.

We might need to switch formation for some away games though, which was our weakness last year. In that case we likely will go with Smith as lone striker as it doesn't suit Gregory. But Gregory also won't play wide, and not sure we want him on the bench too often based on last seasons form. So I feel like 3-5-2 will be the option in large majority of  games, also backs up by zero wingers being signed so far (Wilks being strongly rumoured but still nothing definitive on him, Anderson too).

Would definately think we need another addition or two in wing back areas if so. As our backups to Hunt and Johnson are not nearly as effective as them, and an injury there could really scupper our system, as fit as they both appear.

As for Smith, watching his goals last year he clearly likes high crosses in. So will be a lot of emphasis on the wingbacks to provide the supply. Though Smith also did score some with his feet and looks composed in front of goal, so it's likely he can adapt to our style of play too. Really looking forward to watching him and Gregory as a pair, only thing they lack is real pace but they should be a menace for every team in this league. Maybe one thing we need to add is some real pace now- but in what positions?

Edited by swfc-dan
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

I thought it was clear from the start that we'll stick to 3-5-2. 

Yes but there are a lot of coaching guru's on here who have been saying four at the back since we started our great run last season...eh Pep 🤣

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

I was a bit worried earlier in summer as the rumours were that Moore wanted to go back to 4-2-3-1, whereas 3-5-2 was key to our 2nd half of season turnaround.

But now with Smith confirmed it seems likely we'll keep 3-5-2 as the main option? I can't see any other formation with 2 main strikers that we'd use, and Smith and Gregory should be a huge handful for everyone this season.

We might need to switch formation for some away games though, which was our weakness last year. In that case we likely will go with Smith as lone striker as it doesn't suit Gregory. But Gregory also won't play wide, and not sure we want him on the bench too often based on last seasons form. So I feel like 3-5-2 will be the option in large majority of  games, also backs up by zero wingers being signed so far (Wilks being strongly rumoured but still nothing definitive on him, Anderson too).

Would definately think we need another addition or two in wing back areas if so. As our backups to Hunt and Johnson are not nearly as effective as them, and an injury there could really scupper our system, as fit as they both appear.

As for Smith, watching his goals last year he clearly likes high crosses in. So will be a lot of emphasis on the wingbacks to provide the supply. Though Smith also did score some with his feet and looks composed in front of goal, so it's likely he can adapt to our style of play too. Really looking forward to watching him and Gregory as a pair, only thing they lack is real pace but they should be a menace for every team in this league. Maybe one thing we need to add is some real pace now- but in what positions?

Where are we playing vaulks? The holding midfielder like luongo did? Bit of a waste of his strengths in my opinion 

vaulks likes to get up and down and the lad can shoot from distance too 

Personally I think vaulks is more suited doing what Byres does only he’s a bit stronger in the tackle. His range of passing is better and his shooting is better 

as it currently stands though I see no other option than to have vaulks do the luongo role if we’re playing 3 in midfield 

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

That’s my reading of it.

Smith & Gregory fed by Hunt, Johnson and Bannan. Love it.

Sorry,.read that and  just had a vision of those three in the canteen kitchen in chefs whites, arguing over which of them is doing the chips and who burnt the fish fingers 🤣

• Haha 2

The local reporters still seem to think we're going to use different formations during the course of next season - Dom Howson was saying that's still Moore's plan this morning.

Smith can play up top on his own - he did for Rotherham at times last season:

1047401767_Screenshot2022-06-23at09_10_01.png.60e0b75dc640eb6724df1a4ec15485ba.png

I could see us using a 4-2-3-1 something like this at times, perhaps:

216814066_lineup(4).png.053edc42e2646188d48007d4eb6830e9.png

We're all trying to second guess what Moore is planning, but until we see all the players he brings in, we'll be none the wiser, really. 

There's still a big chunk of the transfer window left yet...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The local reporters still seem to think we're going to use different formations during the course of next season - Dom Howson was saying that's still Moore's plan this morning.

1047401767_Screenshot2022-06-23at09_10_01.png.60e0b75dc640eb6724df1a4ec15485ba.png

We're all trying to second guess what Moore is planning, but until we see all the players he brings in, we'll be none the wiser, really. 

I don’t think Johnson at left back is a great idea . Wing back with less defending is better for him tbh

19 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

I don’t think Johnson at left back is a great idea . Wing back with less defending is better for him tbh

Well yeah, I'm just trying to see how it might work with our current players, as far as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a left-back / left wing-back arriving before the window closes.

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Well yeah, I'm just trying to see how it might work with our current players, as far as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a left-back / left wing-back arriving before the window closes.

Oh yeah understand like . I think we will swap between formations . Let’s not forget Johnson is a left midfielder too so could play out left with a left back behind him in some situations if we wanted to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I mentioned that, but Gregory doesn't deserve to be left out does he? In the 2nd half of last season he was probably our best player.

I can't see many games when he doesn't start.

6 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

I mentioned that, but Gregory doesn't deserve to be left out does he? In the 2nd half of last season he was probably our best player.

I can't see many games when he doesn't start.

We'll have to see how things pan out.

Gregory was a certain starter when fit last season, as he was so much better than our other options.

But if we have a fit and firing Windass, Smith, plus more to come, I'm sure, then that's a good 'problem' to have.

Apparently Moore wants greater tactical flexibility, so he may adapt the formation on a game by game basis, similar to how Wigan did last season.

And with the new 5 subs rule, we could even see a different strikeforce either side of half time in some games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Smith and Gregory won’t start many matches together if Windass is fit IMO

Yes I think Windass is a very decent player for league 1 - when fully fit.  Throw in Wilks too if he signs and that’s 4 fantastic striker options to choose from. 

• Like 1