Name a SWFC player from the past who doesn't get enough respect or love

12 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Fully agree with this.

Thought we was excellent in that period at the end of 16/17.

Ran the show against Newcastle.

Indeed. 

He shouldn't have been dropped for the play off games. 

But Sally needs to disagree about something so let him be. 

Peter Eustace. What a classy midfielder, his vision and passing were sublime. 

Top Wednesdayite too, got slated  as a caretaker manager, and because of his surname. Not cut out for management but lovely player was a joy to watch.

• Like 3

Guest Musttryharder
2 hours ago, Asio otus said:

Peter Eustace. What a classy midfielder, his vision and passing were sublime. 

Top Wednesdayite too, got slated  as a caretaker manager, and because of his surname. Not cut out for management but lovely player was a joy to watch.

His first stint before going to West Ham ( Im sure he came back to SWFC). He was probably one of the most graceful footballers at that time.  Arrogant , skillful and a classy looking barstewd.

Nick Alexandersson, a great player at the wrong time.

This bloke was the second best Swedish player we ever signed the only player we got a fee for when we got relegated. He played international football for 15 years and like Rolly plated over 100 games for his country. Had we not got relegated, he would have stayed for a lot longer than the few years we had him.

He was also  our player of the year in 1999/2000 the year we got relegated, but with no parachute payments for us, we could not keep hold with the hopes of going back up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Indeed. 

He shouldn't have been dropped for the play off games. 

But Sally needs to disagree about something so let him be. 

100%

I remember after the Fulham game saying he had to stay in the team and nobody in the group of people I was with agreed.

I think because he was David Jones from Southport and not David Jonas from Spain made people disregard him, sounds daft I know but I genuinely thing it's true.

4 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Tommy Spurr - used to get pelters from

fans but should be dining out on that goal at the Lane.

Guy Whittingham - scored a winner at Anfield and was a far better player than given credit for.

Wim Jonk - was streets ahead of the squad at the time, had great vision, and often made passes that if the movement of other players was even half decent would have been dangerous.

Proper footballer. He was disliked because he didn’t run around like a headless chicken closing opponents down.

For the 1998–99 season, Jonk went to join Sheffield Wednesday for a fee of £2.5 million, where he was a regular starter for the relegation-threatened side.[9] He joined the team having been inspired by tales of the Premier League from his compatriots Jaap Stam and Arthur Numan.[10] He was frequently injured, which caused the Wednesday fans to voice dissent about a clause in his contract which stipulated that he would automatically receive £7,500 per game which he would miss through injury.[11] He barely played in the 2000–01 season, the last of his contract, due to a groin injury

2 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

100%

I remember after the Fulham game saying he had to stay in the team and nobody in the group of people I was with agreed.

I think because he was David Jones from Southport and not David Jonas from Spain made people disregard him, sounds daft I know but I genuinely thing it's true.

He was also seen as second rate to Hutchinson. 

With Hutch, it's not hard to see why he's a good player. He's running around, he's crunching people and he can also ping a pass. 

Jones was a bit more nuanced. His game was more about taking positions, blocking angles. A simple interception and then recycle the ball to a teammate. 

Not saying he was some top player, but he got a load of sh*t at the time and he really wasn't that bad. 

Guest Musttryharder

It just brings it home to you the amount of good classy players we have had go through the books who weren't really appreciated. If you turn the tables completely around re the OP, (apologies for that)  I can think of one possibly two who would never ever appear on that list. Our Roland and possibly Mike Lyons the other. Theres more but these pair are the stand out ones. 

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He was also seen as second rate to Hutchinson. 

With Hutch, it's not hard to see why he's a good player. He's running around, he's crunching people and he can also ping a pass. 

Jones was a bit more nuanced. His game was more about taking positions, blocking angles. A simple interception and then recycle the ball to a teammate. 

Not saying he was some top player, but he got a load of sh*t at the time and he really wasn't that bad. 

Yeah indeed.

He gets lumped in with the Urby's, Abdi's and co because he arrived in that similar period of time but in reality he was fine.

I think also when we did drop off under Carlos it came when injuries were forcing different midfields each week, by choice nobody was playing Jones and Butterfield as a middle pairing but that's what we had to do.