Name a SWFC player from the past who doesn't get enough respect or love

51 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He scored a good goal. 

Not quite the same. 

Trust me, I was sat there watching that debacle in real time. 

So was I sadly.

But anyway, in terms of value for money Jones proved a poor signing. Didn’t play enough and apart from a decent-ish spell back end of the 16/17 campaign, he was pretty average. 

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Nick Alexandersson, a great player at the wrong time.

This bloke was the second best Swedish player we ever signed the only player we got a fee for when we got relegated. He played international football for 15 years and like Rolly plated over 100 games for his country. Had we not got relegated, he would have stayed for a lot longer than the few years we had him.

He was also  our player of the year in 1999/2000 the year we got relegated, but with no parachute payments for us, we could not keep hold with the hopes of going back up.

One of my favourite Wednesday players. Loved him. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Tommy Spurr - used to get pelters from

fans but should be dining out on that goal at the Lane.

Guy Whittingham - scored a winner at Anfield and was a far better player than given credit for.

Wim Jonk - was streets ahead of the squad at the time, had great vision, and often made passes that if the movement of other players was even half decent would have been dangerous.

Proper footballer. He was disliked because he didn’t run around like a headless chicken closing opponents down.

Win fuckinjonk was the predecessor of alman fuckinabdi

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

Jones was a bit more nuanced. His game was more about taking positions, blocking angles. A simple interception and then recycle the ball to a teammate. 

Not saying he was some top player, but he got a load of sh*t at the time and he really wasn't that bad. 

Because he was earning well over a billion pounds a day

27 minutes ago, Prendo's boots said:

We all knew how bloody good he really was but the rest of the football world still ridicule Carlton Palmer - especially for all his England caps!! 

More England caps than Tony Currie. Use that one regularly with my pig mates. 

23 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Nigel Worthington

This man was awkward, not blessed with pace, had a decent left foot but it wasn’t a “wand” - he had no real outstanding aspect to his game. However, I fvvcking loved him in that blue and white shirt because he was the model professional that was Mr Dependable with a 7/10 performance every game - a proper player. 

Thinking back to that '91 team and thinking of which player from that XI doesn't get enough recognition, I'd say Peter Shirtliff.

Was young when he played for us so don't remember him all that well, but very solid, underrated centre back. Unless someone a bit older wants to disagree?

14 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Thinking back to that '91 team and thinking of which player from that XI doesn't get enough recognition, I'd say Peter Shirtliff.

Was young when he played for us so don't remember him all that well, but very solid, underrated centre back. Unless someone a bit older wants to disagree?

No Shirts was a great player, nice bloke too.

Marc Degryse and Paul Williams.

11 hours ago, Luke said:

Frankie simek

Probably best fullback we've had this century 

Most people thought Lewis Buxton was better but Simek was quality 

If it wasn't for Injuries he'd have played in the Premier league 

Great shout - he was class. A proper fullback that wingers could not get around, never stopped running.

21 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Dropped clangers in high profile games, other than that one of the better keepers we've had.

Agree, when we first got him, I was disappointed that we had signed an aging player looking for a final payout.  For me one of the best players to pull on a Wednesday shirt, magnificent.

Not sure I can agree on Woods. I remember one save away at Liverpool in 1991, apart from that it was all very, very negative. A big signing, England's number one, shocking in the big games when he was supposed to be one of the leaders. One of the better keepers? He's not even in the top 5.....Springett, Turner, Hodge, Pressman, Westwood