SWFC boss Darren Moore

2 hours ago, Django said:

Danny Cowley says we’ve got the best team in the division 

4 under par for Mr Moore 

We had the best team in the treatment room for 2/3rds of the season.

• Thanks 5

I’ll admit that my opinion on the matter is slightly biased.

but he has done an excellent job - and has overcome that tricky period around Christmas where it looks as though we were trying to draw our way to promotion.

When he joined this club it was a basket case - I don’t need to repeat what had gone wrong previously. We’re all aware of that.

Many on this forum thought that promotion was out the question given the ownership and on going off the field issues.

Moore has assembled a young, hungry squad and has got them playing in a way that is attractive on the eye. Given the form of this current bench - you should all be excited about getting to Hillsborough - when was the last time you could say that?

In an extremely competitive division, he’s got us into the play offs. Many on here would have jumped at that chance in the summer. 

Given the previous issues and that this club had no foundations to build from, I’d say that’s a bloody good effort.

And more importantly - for the first time in several years - probably Carlos first season - there’s a clear connection between this club, the players and it’s supporters. No discussions and arguments about wages, no crap about the financial stuff, just a packed out Hillsborough clapping their team off.

Money can’t buy that.

Moore will make mistakes - he will not be absolved of criticism - his team selections can be eye brow raising but the positives of this season far outweigh the negatives in my view.

Now let’s go and finish the job.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Deep down every single fan who cries about Darren Moore not being successful at our club - every single one of them - KNOWS that we've had serious issues at the club, injuries, covid, players threatening to walk out because they weren't getting paid, key players out etc

They know it

But they choose to pretend to disregard every single point that explains how this season has gone - purely and only and solely to try and turn people against our manager

Why is that?

Why indeed? Strokes chin and ponders .... 

1 hour ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

If you think that then you clearly don’t understand how to filter relevant data. I’ve explained quite clearly why those 3 teams should be excluded from the analysis. Unless you think we should compare our season to Bolton who had a massive points deduction, Wigan who were in administration or Burton Albion who were punching at championship level.

It’s so obvious that if we don’t win promotion we’ve underperformed given budgets and football landscape yet some want to defend failure.

If Moore wins the play offs he’s met expectations for the season. If he doesn’t he hasn’t, simple as that really. I know it’s harsh as the play offs are a lottery but that’s what you get for not getting the autos 

Hull, Rotherham, Barnsley and Wigan aren't minnows, but aren't exactly in a second tier rating of teams either.  Should any of them be excluded alongside Burton from your results?  Or have you made the mistake of writing a conclusion first and tailoring the data to fit?

16 minutes ago, duncanidaho said:

Hull, Rotherham, Barnsley and Wigan aren't minnows, but aren't exactly in a second tier rating of teams either.  Should any of them be excluded alongside Burton from your results?  Or have you made the mistake of writing a conclusion first and tailoring the data to fit?

No it’s obvious why Burton are different to those clubs and that’s because they’ve only spent 2 years at championship level in their whole history, so have no history of bouncing back to the championship. Their place is lower down the pyramid.

Those other sides regularly play championship football so they have a goal of getting back to the championship whenever they’re playing below that level.

15 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

No it’s obvious why Burton are different to those clubs and that’s because they’ve only spent 2 years at championship level in their whole history, so have no history of bouncing back to the championship. Their place is lower down the pyramid.

Those other sides regularly play championship football so they have a goal of getting back to the championship whenever they’re playing below that level.

"Their place is lower down the pyramid"

Can you at least try and come across as less entitled? Being a big club and your place in the pyramid has no actual bearing on what happens on the football pitch. 

Sunderland, Ipswich, Bolton, Portsmouth. All clubs accustomed to the upper echelons of English football, all struggling to get out of little League One. 

Promotion isn't as easy as you make it out to be. Just ask those fans. We've amassed 85 points, however you try and spin it, that's an achievement in itself. 

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I wonder if any Sheffield Wednesday manager in our history has had to put up with the pure irrational hatred from our own fans

Is Moore hated by the fans? I don’t know a single fan who hates him, including the ones who don’t rate him. ‘Pure irrational hatred’ , I don’t think so.

16 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

I wonder if any Sheffield Wednesday manager in our history has ever had the biggest budget in the division?

I wonder if any manager in our history has ever finished fourth during a transfer embargo having taken over a squad that wasn't getting paid?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

I wonder if any Sheffield Wednesday manager in our history has ever had the biggest budget in the division?

When the town hall was designed they didn’t say to the builder here’s the plans and there’s your bucket and spade to build it. You need the right equipment (squad) to get the job done. 

• Like 1

Here's my thoughts

When he came I was unsure/wasn't massively excited

He walked into an absolute SHTTTTSHOW of a club

Players weren't getting paid, threatening to walk out

We were under embargoes

Club / Fan relationship was at an all time low

Fans werent' getting promised refunds on their season tickets that they'd been promised 

Morale was low

Motivation was low

Trust was low

Moore got covid, which led to double pneumonia and then pluresy and was at one stage surrounded by cardiac nurses and he was lucky to survive and could have easily died

Then the new season started

Moore had to get through the season with a patched up squad, many many injuries and had no choice but to rotate the squad when fans were going apoplectic at the changes each week

At one point we were playing with wingbacks at centre half - just to get through the games until the CH's were fit 

Then things started to settle

Players got fit/fitter

Players started to settle into life at SWFC at their new club

Players like Berahino started to get fit 

Moore settled things down, got the team motivated and together and ready for a push

Then the push came and we started to accelerate from trudging through the season to a real chance of promotion

And since then it's been absolutely incredible 

Goals Goals Goals Goals Goals Goals Goals (can't state that enough - GONE are the days where we'd try and sneak a goal in front then try to defend that lead for 80 minutes)

Gone are the days where we'd go two goals up then try and sit back and defend - now we go for a third and a fourth to finish clubs off

Is it perfect? NO

But Darren Moore has worked miracles on and off the pitch, connected fans and team back together (even Barry Bannan's come back onto Twitter and is doing lots of positive things) and he's smashed records left right and centre and now we're in a playoff spot pushing for a promotion to the Championship

The ones criticising simply won't look at, acknowledge or listen to any of the issue Moore's had to face from being hospitalised to the point of nearly dying, to the injuries we've had to key players at key times. This I find very bizarre (and deliberate - obviously) and very sad that whilst all this success is happening they're trying to turn people against our manager. 

His detractors can't be taken seriously simply because it's obvious they wont' acknowledge his challenges and just try and excuse them rather than just hold their hands up and admit Moore's faced significant issues yet sorted them and sorted them with grace, professionalism and love.

He's Darren Moore

He's OUR manager and right now I'd not change that for the world

I'm 100% right behind him and the team and want him to get promotion for HIM and his confidence and CV.

And I'd 100% rather have Darren Moore at our football club right now than those few people in our fanbase relentlessly and proactively (which is the bizarre thing) trying to sow seeds of doubt about him and turn you against him in the most crucial week of the football club's recent history

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

Owlstalk Shop

16 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Reyt weird some of our fans can't help but have a veiled go.

4th best is class whichever way you slice it.

bang on and bar mk since oxford away when i said to missus forget the 6 the spin great but some wont have a chance

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

When the town hall was designed they didn’t say to the builder here’s the plans and there’s your bucket and spade to build it. You need the right equipment (squad) to get the job done. 

The squad is the issue. It's a squad built to go up now, not next season.

If we were playing youth, getting our next generation up to speed, building for the future, I'd be happy with mid table this season.

But at every turn, he's gone for the old over young, experience over youth. The young get dropped after a mistake, the older ones get chance after chance.

But we've built a squad of old mercenaries who'll mostly be gone at the end of the season, with the aim of winning now.

Come season end, the loans will be gone, the permanent players who played this season will nearly all be hitting 30 or older.

If we're accepting less than promotion, the season could have been used to consolidate and build for the future, but it wasn't, so not going up will be a wasted season.

Guest Jack the Hat
21 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

You obviously haven’t dealt with Sheffield city council much.

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Talk us through them mate - let's see who you mean

Here's the current ages of the squad, with the minutes played, the only ones with more minutes at a lower age are loans.

Of the players with more than 20 starts or 2000 minutes, only Pato will be under 30 and here next season.

Screenshot_20220502-145824_Brave.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Here's the current ages of the squad, with the minutes played, the only ones with more minutes at a lower age are loans.

Of the players with more than 20 starts or 2000 minutes, only Pato will be under 30 and here next season.

Screenshot_20220502-145824_Brave.jpg

Which of those players are mercenaries?

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
4 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

Which of those players are mercenaries?

All of the A Team are mercenaries.

1 hour ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Wigan only became a league club in 1979 and have spent more time out of the top two divisions than in them.  If it wasn't for Dave Whelan we wouldn't even be talking about them.

Rotherham have spent more time in the third tier than anywhere else so are they overachieving?

Barnsley and Hull have bounced between tier 2 and 3 with a few minor excursions in 1 and 4, so may just fit your criteria.