SWFC boss Darren Moore

1 minute ago, Asio otus said:

I think you will find Darren Moore made that decision. As much as he is an advocate of young players coming through (which he is developing in tandem) , with high turnover of staff, experience being essential if you want to progress quickly.

I actually think that developing young players in a consolidation season was the original plan, but he was a victim of his own success.

He started with the youth, but after a good start, his instructions from above changed and became immediate promotion. There was a point a few games in, can't remember exactly when, that there was a change in the atmosphere, a more 'must win' rather than 'happy with the win'

There are people determined to hate the first Manager in about 10 years that has arrested our decline and got us moving back in an upwards trajectory.  

Yes we had a day out at Wembley with Carlos, since then this is a club thats been on the decline, in league position, financial clout, perceived "size" and in terms of the playing squad.

This season is the first one since the play off season where we can see improvement, on the field, between fans and club, in bringing players through.  Its the first season we have found a style that is distinct and recognisable, if given time and a reasonable level of backing I can see Moore slowly moving ups up each season in the championship too.

And yet because we didnt Pish the league (despite starting the season with barely a squad and not even a pot to pee  in) some people are baying for blood.  Who the F**k do you want to replace him with that is guaranteed or even likely to do a better job in the circumstances.

Critique him sure, question things sure... but the baying for blood just shows you are as delusional as Liverpool fans when "King Kenny" came back, or Man Utd fans now... thinking that there is some divine right to greatness just because we were good before.

Its getting old and tiresome to engage with people who are so firmly stuck in their beliefs they refuse to even consider that maybe they were wrong or atleast should review them. 

Edited by leftpeg
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, leftpeg said:

Its getting old and tiresome to engage with people who are so firmly stuck in their beliefs they refuse to even consider that maybe they were wrong or atleast should review them. 

I don't for one second believe these people have a sound footballing reason to pour scorn on Moore

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

We signed old and young players, but after a point, stopped playing the young.

I think in hindsight that was the right thing to do though - imagine the hell Moore would have gone through with our fans if he'd played U23's and gone for mid-table?

Owlstalk Shop

To be honest I wanted him gone but he has changed my mind. Still think some of his substitutions are baffling but he knows more than me. Even if we don't go up I hope he is here next season and given another shot at it. Although I fear the worst with DC at the helm. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, One De Bilde said:

To be honest I wanted him gone but he has changed my mind. Still think some of his substitutions are baffling but he knows more than me. Even if we don't go up I hope he is here next season and given another shot at it. Although I fear the worst with DC at the helm. 

If Channers remains in the background and continues to back his manager we'll be fine (I hope)

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I think in hindsight that was the right thing to do though - imagine the hell Moore would have gone through with our fans if he'd played U23's and gone for mid-table?

I don't think it would be as bad as all that, it's what I initially thought he eas brought in for, to consolidate, to build a foundation, an identity, then push next year. You can look back on my posts, when he was getting hammered in September, I was one of his biggest supporters. 

But then again I usually find myself in the minority.

But when it changed, and we threw everything at promotion, then it became the only acceptable outcome.

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

I don't think it would be as bad as all that, it's what I initially thought he eas brought in for, to consolidate, to build a foundation, an identity, then push next year. You can look back on my posts, when he was getting hammered in September, I was one of his biggest supporters. 

But then again I usually find myself in the minority.

But when it changed, and we threw everything at promotion, then it became the only acceptable outcome.

I am struggling to see the wood for the trees here

So he was brought in to consolidate at which point mid-table would have been fine, but then we started to do well so promotion is the only acceptable outcome?

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I am struggling to see the wood for the trees here

So he was brought in to consolidate at which point mid-table would have been fine, but then we started to do well so promotion is the only acceptable outcome?

Targets changed. Or that's what it looked like to me.

Targets change all the time, but when they do, so do expectations. 

If we'd played to develop youth, I'd support that, and lower my expectations results eise.

Play for promotion at all costs, then I'll expect promotion.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

But do you believe that Wednesday fanbase as a whole would have the same level of patience?

If it had been communicated, maybe.

How much patience will they have if we don't go up and have to rebuild again? 

I don't know. As far as the wider fanbase is concerned, I don't think there will be a middle ground, either we go up and he becomes a Wednesday legend, or we don't and he'll be the villain. 

5 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

If it had been communicated, maybe.

How much patience will they have if we don't go up and have to rebuild again? 

I don't know. As far as the wider fanbase is concerned, I don't think there will be a middle ground, either we go up and he becomes a Wednesday legend, or we don't and he'll be the villain. 

We knew we had been docked points

We knew we had no money

We knew that players were having issues getting paid

we knew players weren't happy

We knew we had a transfer embargo

Admittedly we didn't get embossed envelopes through our door, but I think it was clearly communicated that the club was in sh!t state...

And still some think 4th and a play off place is a poor return, not a lot of patience there.

And yet we still have no patience....

1 minute ago, duncanidaho said:

We knew we had been docked points

We knew we had no money

We knew that players were having issues getting paid

we knew players weren't happy

We knew we had a transfer embargo

Admittedly we didn't get embossed envelopes through our door, but I think it was clearly communicated that the club was in sh!t state...

And still some think 4th and a play off place is a poor return, not a lot of patience there.

And yet we still have no patience....

I think that was how it started, but then Bannan and Gregory went on TV and said we were going to win the league.

After that, the promotion was the aim and expected.

Before then, PR wise, everything was about consolidation and rebuilding and everyone was happy. Managing expectations. 

If those interviews hadn't happened, I think people would be less critical.

OK, I’ll chuck in my twopenneth. I think Moore was brought in because of his reputation of working with and improving young players.

The plan may well have initially been to build a squad of young players and subsequently look to progress. The early recruitment pointed towards this. Adeniran, a flurry of young trialists from the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal but then we signed BPF and Wing and the recruitment strategy followed the pattern we’ve seen throughout the DC era.

You don’t keep hold of the players we already had and go on to sign the players we did, if you’re not going for promotion.

Done an amazing job with an average squad.  Turned us from a boring defensive team to an attacking goal scoring team.  Ignored the calls to be more direct and to start Theo every game. Remarkable manager.

Add to that - he is a manager who actually wants to be here, unlike Tony Pulis and Steve Bruce.  

so much time for this manager.  Brian laws was quite similar and equally likeable- tried to play good football and loved being our manager. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Asio otus said:

I think you will find Darren Moore made that decision. As much as he is an advocate of young players coming through (which he is developing in tandem) , with high turnover of staff, experience being essential if you want to progress quickly.

I’m pretty certain he did 

32 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

I think that was how it started, but then Bannan and Gregory went on TV and said we were going to win the league.

After that, the promotion was the aim and expected.

Before then, PR wise, everything was about consolidation and rebuilding and everyone was happy. Managing expectations. 

If those interviews hadn't happened, I think people would be less critical.

i'm sorry, but utter tosh. 

Of course players say things like 'we are aiming to win the league' and 'we think we are the best in the division', or 'we are only focused on the next game'.   we know it's mostly bollux what players say as they are scared to say anything outlandish or even be honest or everyone gets on their backs. 

did the club put out a statement saying the expectation had changed?  or the the manager?

pre match interviews are mostly pointless and post match are rarely better, and as for press conferences, you rarely get anything original.

Big thank you from me to DM. I’ve enjoyed this season. We have come so far in terms of where we were after last seasons debacle. Deadwood cleared and a team that are competitive playing good attacking football.

DM must take credit for this

• Like 1