SWFC boss Darren Moore

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Genuine question, how many Championship clubs get relegated to League One and get back up at the first attempt? Over the last decade say, what % of those 30 relegated clubs manage it? My guess, based on absolutely nothing but instinct, is <20%. Maybe around 10%. Happy to be proven wrong.

If I'm even in the right ballpark in the above... how  chuffing entitled and arrogant are you are that promotion after a relegation is the minimum requirement?? 

Instead of guessing, why don’t you do the research and come back and tell us - like I do?

Guest Willow Owl
3 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

The main problem with football these days is expectation.

You're saying that going into this season promotion was the MINIMUM expected result?

In a team of free transfers and loan signings, an injury curse and a covid outbreak. A team that was used to losing, was awful at home, had just lost its promising youngsters from the previous season. When fans were openly calling for protests and the chairman to go. You think promotion was a minimum?

Moore has done a simply magnificent job this season despite a huge set of obstacles, one of which is fans' expectations

Great post 

1 minute ago, Willow Owl said:

So, you cannot tell me who?We’ve lost nine games, only Wigan have lost less. We have had massive injuries in defence and at times have played without a recognised centre half. The second half of the season we have been fantastic and Moore deserves all the credit for this. Not the constant nitpicking from certain fans who are desperate for him to fail, just so they can say I told you so.

Sunderland have finished below us.

Wigan and MK were established league 1 sides who added players to existing squads. Not having to build a complete new team.

What did Megson ever achieve at Hillsborough as a manager. 

You never asked me who?

Regardless of that I gave you three.

You are seriously saying Wigan didn’t build a complete new team?

Like I said, it’s an opinion. One I’m entitled to, as you are yours.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

The main problem with football these days is expectation.

You're saying that going into this season promotion was the MINIMUM expected result?

In a team of free transfers and loan signings, an injury curse and a covid outbreak. A team that was used to losing, was awful at home, had just lost its promising youngsters from the previous season. When fans were openly calling for protests and the chairman to go. You think promotion was a minimum?

Moore has done a simply magnificent job this season despite a huge set of obstacles, one of which is fans' expectations

Very key difference here. Promotion isn’t the minimum EXPECTED result, it’s the minimum ACCEPTABLE result.

Anything else and he should be sacked, and as a football manager he’d expect that to be the case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Very key difference here. Promotion isn’t the minimum EXPECTED result, it’s the minimum ACCEPTABLE result.

Anything else and he should be sacked, and as a football manager he’d expect that to be the case.

I'm not going to spend my evening bickering over wording or whether a manager should be sacked after making the playoffs etc. I've got better things to do and I suspect you have too.

I'll just say that I've really enjoyed this season, especially the second half. I hope you have too 

• Love 3

10 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Shows how far we’ve sunk when finishing behind Rotherham, Wigan and MK bl00dy Dons is considered as “class”.

Out of 37 managers we have had in our history, Moore has the 4th best record, and he's spent nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Genuine question, how many Championship clubs get relegated to League One and get back up at the first attempt? Over the last decade say, what % of those 30 relegated clubs manage it? My guess, based on absolutely nothing but instinct, is <20%. Maybe around 10%. Happy to be proven wrong.

If I'm even in the right ballpark in the above... how  chuffing entitled and arrogant are you are that promotion after a relegation is the minimum requirement?? 

In the past 10 seasons, 10 clubs have returned instantly, hopefully we’ll make it 11 - which would make it 37%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

There’s not really evidence that can be given, it’s a football opinion.

I think other teams with far inferior players have often looked far better organised than us. 

The Wigan manager came in and put that squad together with a few weeks notice. The MK manager has got a squad that was in relegation trouble last year to third. Alex Neil soon got the very leaky Sunderland defence sorted.

My opinion of Wednesday is that we have the best players covering up the cracks. Away from home we still look shaky at the back, I find some of his selections and substitutions baffling - it’s just an opinion mate.

I loved Megson, rated him highly, half the fan base seem to think he was rubbish. That’s football, opinions.

Wow using the above  theory, Megson had as good a budget that season as anyone, he must have been under performing and papering over the cracks as another manager came in organised the defence and the rest is Sheffield folklore yet you love him.
Big Ron also underperformed with the best team and budget in the league and he’s revered. UTO 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highbury Owl said:

In the 3rd Division?

This winds me up, it doesn't matter the league, you can only play who's in front of you.

And it's not like it's a Premier League squad in the 3rd division is it? 

It's a side, dismantled and put back together using loans and free transfers, and set up to play a season in the 3rd division. Therefore is a 3rd division side. 

This, for me, makes the league we are in irrelevant in this instance.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

In the past 10 seasons, 10 clubs have returned instantly, hopefully we’ll make it 11 - which would make it 37%.

Grand, thank you... so just to be clear your minimum expectation is that we achieve something that twice the number of clubs fail to achieve as manage to achieve?

• Like 5
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Pretty sure that more than three managers in our history have finished higher than 48th in the English pyramid!

Jesus, yes you're entitled to your opinion (you seem to be in the minority on this one) but you're making yourself look a bit of a Richard posting poo like this.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Grand, thank you... so just to be clear your minimum expectation is that we achieve something that twice the number of clubs fail to achieve as manage to achieve?

How big are most of these clubs though.. I seem to remember Yeovil, Doncaster, Stockport, Grimsby etc etc all being relegated from the championship. Should we compare to those or to other big clubs like Wolves, Sunderland, Leicester, Leeds, Forest, Sheffield Utd.

I actually think its becoming easier in recent seasons to bounce back immediately as the gaps between the divisions are getting bigger all the time. Our budget should mean we target bouncing back. Prem to championship its the same 6-8 clubs swapping places all the time without that much new blood for example.

1 hour ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Seriously?

I see that Cheltenham signed Dean, Storey, Gibson, NML, Gregory, Johnson, Hunt, Byers, BPF etc on their Championship wages and could afford to renew Bannan, Windass and Iorfa.

Who has told you how much those players are earning?

Unless you have the facts then you're just speculating aren't you? 

Bannan himself scrubbed the rumour he's on 20k a week. 

How do you know any of the free transfers come close to championship wages? 

I suppose Wycombe are paying championship wages for Vokes snd Wing? MK paying championship wages for Wickham? Corbeanu? Portsmouth for Bazunu? 

Please tell me where you're getting your financial information from. I'd love to know. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

How big are most of these clubs though.. I seem to remember Yeovil, Doncaster, Stockport, Grimsby etc etc all being relegated from the championship. Should we compare to those or to other big clubs like Wolves, Sunderland, Leicester, Leeds, Forest, Sheffield Utd.

Two thoughts 

1. Doesn't matter how "big" you are. You're relegated to that division, you're there on merit (even arguably with a points deduction). You're still a league one club for at least 12 months, you've done things just as 'wrong' as those other clubs to end up there in the first place (sometimes even moreso, considering the relative increase of resources that makes you a 'big club'

2. Of those you've mentioned that got relegated to this level in the last 20 years, I've highlighted in bold those that took more than one season to bounce back. Four out of the six, two-thirds of those big clubs, took more than one season to bounce back. A very similar ratio to the aforementioned ratio that you've quoted from. Cheers for making my point for me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Yeah you’re right mate, every manager who doesn’t get promotion gets the sack, 

• Love 3