SWFC boss Darren Moore

Not a fan of Moore thought hed enough to keep us up but made some poor choices, but under the conditions, this seasons been WAY better than I expected early season, and the guy deserves serious credit for knitting it all together.The club underwent a massive refit and assembled a squad hastily and without a thorough preparation.

A lot of decisions have been baffling, but we arent all privvy to the goings on behind the reasons for those decisions, he pulled a rabbit out of the hat at MK by shoving Bazza uptop and matching their formation, wouldnt have minded him using that tactic on a few other occasions.

All in all hes comeback really well this campaign given the circumstances and his stock has certainly risen, fair play to the bloke.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Two thoughts 

1. Doesn't matter how "big" you are. You're relegated to that division, you're there on merit (even arguably with a points deduction). You're still a league one club for at least 12 months, you've done things just as 'wrong' as those other clubs to end up there in the first place (sometimes even moreso, considering the relative increase of resources that makes you a 'big club'

2. Of those you've mentioned that got relegated to this level in the last 20 years, I've highlighted in bold those that took more than one season to bounce back. Four out of the six, two-thirds of those big clubs, took more than one season to bounce back. A very similar ratio to the aforementioned ratio that you've quoted from. Cheers for making my point for me.

We looked at this earlier in the season.

As you've said, the idea that immediate promotion is the minimum 'acceptable' outcome doesn't quite tally with the harsh reality of landing with a bump at this level.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Very key difference here. Promotion isn’t the minimum EXPECTED result, it’s the minimum ACCEPTABLE result.

Anything else and he should be sacked, and as a football manager he’d expect that to be the case.

Managers do not get sacked just to punish them.  

We never should sack a manager unless we believe that the new manager will be better for the development of the club  - in all aspects.

I honestly do not believe that you will find any manager, who would be better for us at the current moment in time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Pretty sure that more than three managers in our history have finished higher than 48th in the English pyramid!

You realise that it was quite impossible for Moore to have steered us any higher than 45th?

Are you seriously trying to benchmark Moore's performance using a scale on which it is an actual impossibility for him to finish higher than 48th out of 92?

• Like 7

The number of players we signed last Summer and turbulence of relegation always meant we were going to get off to a slowish start and it would take time for the team to gel.

How many of DMs signings have been good signings?  A hell of a lot more than players signed by previous managers.  The fact DM managed to assemble a competitive team given our plight deserves huge credit.  

If we lose in the playoffs people will call for his sacking which I consider unfair and shows the fickle nature of football in this technological media fuelled world.  

For me we need stability and whatever the outcome of the playoffs DM must be given the opportunity to build on the foundations / the stability he has put in place.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, morganowl said:

i was 1 who was questioning him after pathetic displays at sunderland  and shrewsbury . in fact a poll done on here was it 88% wanted him sacked? 4 months ago?

Those two performances and results looked very much the product of having covid in the camp and having to close the training ground for a couple of weeks at a vital stage of the season.

I was amazed by how many of our fans seemed willing to overlook those factors at that stage, and calling for him to be sacked because of those games seemed very harsh.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

24 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Those two performances and results looked very much the product of having covid in the camp and having to close the training ground for a couple of weeks at a vital stage of the season.

I was amazed by how many of our fans seemed willing to overlook those factors at that stage, and calling for him to be sacked because of those games seemed very harsh.

Also at Sunderland we didn't even have a defence. As soon as Dunkley went off injured, it was game over. How can you go to the Stadium of Light without a defence against a team like Sunderland. Bound to have beaten us comfortably which they did. 

I happily overlooked that game as a one off. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Unfortunately a large number of them will be back should we fail to win the playoffs. Personally I believe DM has earned the right to be in charge again next season whatever the outcome. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, katie melua said:

Also at Sunderland we didn't even have a defence. As soon as Dunkley went off injured, it was game over. How can you go to the Stadium of Light without a defence against a team like Sunderland. Bound to have beaten us comfortably which they did. 

I happily overlooked that game as a one off. 

Yep.

Basically anything that could have gone wrong went wrong for that one, didn't it?

11 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

I wonder if any Sheffield Wednesday manager in our history has ever had the biggest budget in the division?

10 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Seriously?

I see that Cheltenham signed Dean, Storey, Gibson, NML, Gregory, Johnson, Hunt, Byers, BPF etc on their Championship wages and could afford to renew Bannan, Windass and Iorfa.

Well I guess the proof will be in the pudding. You clearly rate him and are therefore confident he’ll still be here this time next year.

In contrast, I’ll be surprised if he makes it to Xmas - regardless of whether we go up or not.

Toughest or easiest, depending on which way you analyse the data.

9 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Very key difference here. Promotion isn’t the minimum EXPECTED result, it’s the minimum ACCEPTABLE result.

Anything else and he should be sacked, and as a football manager he’d expect that to be the case.

9 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Pretty sure that more than three managers in our history have finished higher than 48th in the English pyramid!

That's what friends are for.  Why don't you phizz -off to  Bramall Lane?  I'm sure they'd welcome you with open arms.

10 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Reyt weird some of our fans can't help but have a veiled go.

4th best is class whichever way you slice it.

... veiled ... it's  a constant vile barrage of negativity from a minority who can't seem to let it go. 

There is never a guarantee of success in any season (for me  that is what makes the first match of the season, when nobody is basing their optimism on anything but faith, so amazing).  Those fans who carp on about under performing can not tell us who they could guarantee to have done a better job than our manager.  Nor are they entitled to say he should have done this or he should have done that because they haven't walked the walk and they have not the faintest idea of the full picture of what was happening on a day to day or minute by minute basis. 

They are unable to give credit where credit is due.  How sad it must be to be unable to fully celebrate even the partial successes of a football club you purport to support. 

Rant over.  Eid Mubarak, everyone.

• Like 4

To be fair, that's an astonishing turnaround statistically, if true.

Wasn't too long ago, that his record was worse than that of Jos Luhukay.

The pick up in form and consistency shown, whilst also playing entertaining, front foot football, since the turn of the year has been particularly impressive.

Here's hoping it continues for another three games!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

To be fair, that's an astonishing turnaround statistically, if true.

Wasn't too long ago, that his record was worse than that of Jos Luhukay.

The pick up in form and consistency shown, whilst also playing entertaining, front foot football, since the turn of the year has been particularly impressive.

Here's hoping it continues for another three lifetimes!

Fixed it for you.

I seem to remember at the end of the last season loads on here saying we were that poor we'd drop straight out of league one! 

My prediction was a stabilising season with a the new squad, upper mid table then a push for promotion 22/23.

We've done way better than I was expecting, only lost 9 games all season. 

Darren Moore has done a great job galvanising this team. It's time to give him some more support at the matches too, been oddly quiet in that respect.....

• Like 2

At this point I don’t think the backlash from the fans against Moore will be that bad if we don’t manage promotion this season

This is the first time in ages we’ve got a team playing like a proper Wednesday side that we can all get behind and Moore deserves credit for turning this sinking ship around

I personally didn’t think he could do it on his early showings but I’m so happy I look like I may have been wrong

• Like 3