Pyrrhic Victory

In something like 300BC, a king called Pyrrhus of a kingdom called Epirus (north west Greece ish) thought it would be a good idea to wage war in southern Italy. He won the first battle, but famously (or maybe not-so famously, considering I don't remember it) said that if there were any more wins like that, he would end up dead. Epirus won the battle, but sustained heavy losses. He subsequently lost the war.

Reckon Hillsborough is like southern Italy tonight. Good three points, but injuries to Dean, Windass and FDB are far more costly to our season. You only have to look at the end of the game to see the issues we will have this season... a defence that sh*ts itself every time the ball's in the air, a lightweight midfield, and one of the worst front lines outside of non-league (Sow and Berahino.... Berahino lol )

Got to hope that some of those were just tweaks...

• Like 2

Guest 123adam789
16 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

In something like 300BC, a king called Pyrrhus of a kingdom called Epirus (north west Greece ish) thought it would be a good idea to wage war in southern Italy. He won the first battle, but famously (or maybe not-so famously, considering I don't remember it) said that if there were any more wins like that, he would end up dead. Epirus won the battle, but sustained heavy losses. He subsequently lost the war.

Reckon Hillsborough is like southern Italy tonight. Good three points, but injuries to Dean, Windass and FDB are far more costly to our season. You only have to look at the end of the game to see the issues we will have this season... a defence that sh*ts itself every time the ball's in the air, a lightweight midfield, and one of the worst front lines outside of non-league (Sow and Berahino.... Berahino lol )

Got to hope that some of those were just tweaks...

We don't do tweaks, just hope they patch Gregory up. If not the formation is really straight forward. 5 5 0.

Here we go...

Pyrrhus led an alliance of Greeks alarmed by Rome’s expansion into southern Italy. In military historical terms the battle is important as the first meeting of the Roman Legion and the Macedonian Phalanx. Pyrrhus won, but he lost so many of his best men that he was unable to fight on for long, giving us the term for a fruitless victory.

I hope not... but it's all Greek to me.

On 01/02/2022 at 22:04, HIGHERSTATE said:

You are aware which site you are posting on don't you?

Thought I was back at uni, after reading the original post.

The only connectio I can see is that ancient Greek Amphitheatres can be found with more upto date facilities than Hillsborough.

Maybe UNESCO can register it as a world heritage site?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

Hope it doesn't turn into a Pyrrhic victory. Good news that Iorfa and Gregory are a good distance along the road to comeback. Just hope especially Windass and Dean aren't long out.

I think the phrase was "back on the grass" that could mean 4 or 5 weeks away. I'm using Windass as a yardstick, he was back on the grass for ages before he came on as a sub. Then I think the next stage is 'back with the lads', followed by ' in full training'.  I hope I got those right, it's hard to decipher these things with Moore. It would be better if he just gave an approximate timescale.

Maybe Iorfa and Dunkley will be quicker but I reckon Iorfa will need a lot of time to get fit, Dunkley maybe not quite as much.