Managers We Didn’t Get When They Were Available

We can’t say they were 100% definitely available to us 

HOWEVER 

The managers we’ve had don’t pull up any trees, don’t prevent us from getting relegated, don’t have a high win percentage, don’t improve performances… 

Monk 

Pulis 
Moore 

Other clubs have had the Managers that we might have missed out on, that went to those clubs and stopped the decline, or improved them, or at least lasted long enough to bridge the gap from terrible to mediocre.

Forest as an example. In the Championship seemed about our level. Equally as poo but able to beat us. 

(ignore the 6 point deduction that played a part in our relegation and focus on the managers ability to win games - both in the Championship and now) 

(Let’s discuss and name the managers that would’ve been a better fit for us - not just a bash Moore thread) 

We know it’s all Chansiri’s fault 

And he’s picked the wrong managers 

Or maybe he’s only willing to pay out for the ones that aren’t beneficial to us 

Think of the managers that the fans have hopes to get linked with… and then go elsewhere. 

At this point even Rooney looks better than some of the dross we’ve had. 

I'd take Holloway or Warnock (never thought I'd ever say that) in a heart beat.   We need someone with character and their soul connected to football.  The last 3 managers definitely did not fall into this category. 

Edited by swinners
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

We know it’s all Chansiri’s fault 

And he’s picked the wrong managers 

Or maybe he’s only willing to pay out for the ones that aren’t beneficial to us 

Think of the managers that the fans have hopes to get linked with… and then go elsewhere. 

At this point even Rooney looks better than some of the dross we’ve had. 

Exactly, that's my point overall. If people suggested Rooney here you'd get laughed out of the room, you'd run a million miles. Yet, the bloke has got the smallest squad i nthe Champ, that's in an embargo, in turmoil, almost in admin and has managed to get them on 31 points from 24 games (which would see them near the top half without the deduction). Simply an exceptional return from their predicament. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Jim said:

I like Moore but I can’t see us ever appointing a manager who will do well here while DC owns the club?

He’s been here years now

Think of the managers he’s passed on… and who probably spoke to us then said no and went somewhere like Forest. 

Us = Sinking lower and lower 

Any decent manager with a good reputation wouldn't touch Wednesday at the moment.

If Moore goes (which I don't have a problem with either way) than we would end up with someone like Alex Neil at very best.

He is probably not a bad manager but doubt he would do anything at Wednesday in current circumstances.

2 minutes ago, swinners said:

I'd take Holloway or Warnock (never thought I'd ever say that) in a heart beat.   We need someone with character and their soul connected to football.  The last 3 managers definitely did not fall into this category. 

They are both yesterdays men.

• Like 2

I would genuinely give it to a **** like John Terry. Basically someone younger with a bit of attitude and a real winners mentality.  Also great connections with Chelsea and their 200 man playing squad. Providing he doesn’t sign one of their duds like Izzy Brown.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

He’s gone to manage Chelsea U23s I think 

But maybe we could look at someone similar 

He has, but I’d still imagine he would be tempted to be the boss of a club like ours and Chelsea would understand.  

But yes, or someone similar would be fine with me too 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swinners said:

Don't you dare mention names like them on here, some of the resident's on here don't like the suggestions of managers who've been promotion winners and successful in the past, theyde rather stick with failures just because they like to play pretty ineffective football.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

I like Moore but I can’t see us ever appointing a manager who will do well here while DC owns the club?

Genuinely think our best route forwards would either be promoting from within (they know what the chairman is like, and visa versa) or go with random foreigner like Watford (best case) or Reading have done (they don't know Chansiri and potentially have worked with someone just like him).

Bruce, Pulis and to a degree Monk are very well connected and Chansiri is well known to managers to be an oddball who supports the manager as best possible but must frankly be bery odd to deal with on a regular basis - indeed that SWFC is an odd club to manage (our FFP penalties are a decent example of this)

Whatever the case, it's wrong to say that the chairman won't support the manager - I'd argue every day that he's far too patient/tolerant - and he does support with keeping players rather than selling them and clearly paying a very decent wage to them too.

In fact, money being paid to the manager, along with a underlying "it could be me that transforms this giant club" mentality that attracted Bruce and Pulis, will hopefully ensure we have a reasonable calibre of manager at least wanting the job for the foreseeable future.

I really did hope and think that DM was a good shout when he was appointed, as regardless of his record Infelt he would be a decent figurehead for the club with a style of football fans can help behind (which hasn't shown its face at all yet) - regardless of his results - but I was wrong and I imagine DC might be feeling similar about now.