On Sunday a report stated " M Salaha" scored the first ever hat- trick at Old Trafford

I met Keith Ellis when he was a draughtsman, working for my grandad at Edgar Allens. He was a lovely lad, took my autograph book away and got all the Wednesday players autographs, plus those of a few other teams he played against. He was centre forward in the best Wednesday team I saw after the early 90s one. In the days of no substitutes, that side of 60/61 contained the same 11 players every game, injuries and internationals ( Springett and Swan) permitting.  

• Like 2

No surprise there then - who did we beat in an FA cup 3rd round on a Friday night in the snow?? We kicked off at 7.45pm and Man ure were on at 8pm on BBC.

Cue full time and Lilly Livered Lineker announced "So Man Utd are the first team into the 4th round of the FA Cup" even though our game finished 15 minutes earlier!

4 hours ago, since50owe said:

This is not true, as K, Ellis scored one on 1st Feb 1961, when Wednesday won 7-2 in the F.A.  Cup replay

Ah, the old 2-3-5 formation made for some interesting results back then. There was a 7-0 against West Ham at Hillsborough that season too If I remember correctly.
Pitches ankle deep in mud through the Winter but some great attacking football to watch. All this modern coaching takes the entertainment out of games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatter said:

Ah, the old 2-3-5 formation made for some interesting results back then. There was a 7-0 against West Ham at Hillsborough that season too If I remember correctly.
Pitches ankle deep in mud through the Winter but some great attacking football to watch. All this modern coaching takes the entertainment out of games.

I was at that one too West Ham were top of the league. Still have the front page of that nights Green Un.

8 hours ago, Bulldog said:

No surprise there then - who did we beat in an FA cup 3rd round on a Friday night in the snow?? We kicked off at 7.45pm and Man ure were on at 8pm on BBC.

Cue full time and Lilly Livered Lineker announced "So Man Utd are the first team into the 4th round of the FA Cup" even though our game finished 15 minutes earlier!

Reading. 3-1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hirstys_achilles said:

In 1961. No doubt you was standing. Be interested to hear what you remember about the game, ground and team etc. 

Very little I'm afraid. Went with my old dad and remember we were sitting in amongst United fans and my old man was winding them up.

Also, Ronaldo scored a hat-trick there when Real Madrid knocked them out of the Champions League

Arguably one of the greatest performances I've seen by a footballer. Ronaldo was immense that night and got applauded off by all sides of the ground when substituted 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Let it go man