MOORE OUT.

Moore in or out?   

381 members have voted

1. 1. Should Moore go?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/10/21 at 07:07

11 minutes ago, FightLikeAGirl said:

And then what if he does go? Who do we replace him with? Roberto Martinez?

No, Ryan Lowe is the popular choice on Owlstalk these days.

Failing that, Paul Cooke was the fans' favourite less than a year ago, and Paul Hurst was a regular shout a few years back.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, striker said:

No.

It's not great football, but I've seen far worse. He has work to do though, needs to be braver and stop focusing wholly on the opposition. He's  done fantastically well to assemble a squad, which would be the envy of most L1 managers, now needs to use it properly and stop wasting it by give way too much respect to poor/average opposition.

Wow!! ..where did you see worse ?

For me, what the football looks like isn't the issue.

Nor does it matter whether it's attacking or defensive, and never has - Arsenal were both unattractive and defensive, yet they beat us in two finals.

Because ultimately there's no right or wrong way to play football, it's about doing what you do well.

And it helps if the brand of football you play is suited to the ability of the players you possess.

All good teams have organization, a structure, with each player knowing his job.

They also have managers who tactically rumble the opposition, and ones who are bright enough to respond to what the opposing manager does in the course of the game.

On all of those counts Moore is well down the course, so he needs to receive his marching orders.

And may the Gods hasten the day.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, NOT jack whitham said:

Wow!! ..where did you see worse ?

Surely your memory is not that short?

Monk, Luhukay, not to mention the abhorrent Pulis teams, in recent seasons. Also, the last time we were in L1, we were awful for a while.....in all honesty did you really prefer the football under Alan Irvine, or any of the aforementioned? Going back further I'd also say the Terry Yorath and Peter Eustace days were pretty bad too.

No, it's not great at the moment, but an overreaction to say it's as bad as some of those. Yes, we are too negative, but we have at least got one striker on the pitch (arguably a couple more but out of position), which is an improvement on Luhukay and Pulis!

Far from perfect, but far from 'the worst' too IMHO of course. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ian_D said:

What this poll might show is that less than 350 were bothered enough to vote. Apathy (not pathy) has set in.

More than the numbers that usually vote in the man of the match polls on here. How many were you expecting? 

It’s been a tough watch for most of this season, and while I was excited by what Moore and his staff could do after this summer’s recruitment, it’s fair to say we’ve not lived up to expectations. 

However, at this point in time, I think getting rid would be daft. Why? Because we’re 1 point off the play-offs and 5 off automatic, despite not playing well. We could quite easily be top if our keeper hadn’t made some howlers, if we’d had a bit more luck with refereeing decisions, and, crucially, if we’d taken our chances against the likes of Morecambe and Shrewsbury. I missed the Oxford game, but the only time I’ve seen is deservedly lose was against Plymouth. It’s not been great - far from it - but we’re still in the hunt and one good fortnight or month away from being in a much more comfortable position. 

There’s also the question of who comes in to replace him and how that works. We’d have to pay Moore and his staff off, and then who comes in? There isn’t a credible alternative right now. We perhaps missed the boat to get Lowe, and even if we could afford to pay Moore and his staff off and bring him in, would he even come here when Plymouth are flying high? Then a new manager comes in and needs to get to know the players, with no guarantee he’ll hit the ground running (see Pulis, Tony). It’s a big gamble and not one we need to take at this stage of the season IMO. If we’re still flattering to deceive but in with a shout of promotion in March, then maybe, but to rip everything up after 11 games would be reckless - after a very good pre-season in terms of getting recruitment done early, we’d essentially be starting from scratch… again…

Saying all that, the football has been rubbish and that seems mostly down to instructions from management rather than individual players tössing it off. I believe we have a decent squad at this level but Moore doesn’t know his best 11 and our system doesn’t work. We don’t have the players to play out from the back 100% of the time and we don’t create enough chances or score enough goals. I’d like to see us move the ball up the pitch faster and dominate games, there’s plenty of time for keeping possession when you’re 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go, but let’s mix it up a bit - we’ve looked most dangerous when we go a bit more direct and get the ball in the box to give third division defenders a problem. Moore needs to rethink his approach, and with 35 games left to play this season, there’s plenty of time for him to hopefully do that. 

TL;DR - things aren’t great so far, but there’s no point sacking Moore now for the sake of sacking him when we’re 5 points off autos after 11 games with no real alternative to replace him

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

It’s been a tough watch for most of this season, and while I was excited by what Moore and his staff could do after this summer’s recruitment, it’s fair to say we’ve not lived up to expectations. 

However, at this point in time, I think getting rid would be daft. Why? Because we’re 1 point off the play-offs and 5 off automatic, despite not playing well. We could quite easily be top if our keeper hadn’t made some howlers, if we’d had a bit more luck with refereeing decisions, and, crucially, if we’d taken our chances against the likes of Morecambe and Shrewsbury. I missed the Oxford game, but the only time I’ve seen is deservedly lose was against Plymouth. It’s not been great - far from it - but we’re still in the hunt and one good fortnight or month away from being in a much more comfortable position. 

There’s also the question of who comes in to replace him and how that works. We’d have to pay Moore and his staff off, and then who comes in? There isn’t a credible alternative right now. We perhaps missed the boat to get Lowe, and even if we could afford to pay Moore and his staff off and bring him in, would he even come here when Plymouth are flying high? Then a new manager comes in and needs to get to know the players, with no guarantee he’ll hit the ground running (see Pulis, Tony). It’s a big gamble and not one we need to take at this stage of the season IMO. If we’re still flattering to deceive but in with a shout of promotion in March, then maybe, but to rip everything up after 11 games would be reckless - after a very good pre-season in terms of getting recruitment done early, we’d essentially be starting from scratch… again…

Saying all that, the football has been rubbish and that seems mostly down to instructions from management rather than individual players tössing it off. I believe we have a decent squad at this level but Moore doesn’t know his best 11 and our system doesn’t work. We don’t have the players to play out from the back 100% of the time and we don’t create enough chances or score enough goals. I’d like to see us move the ball up the pitch faster and dominate games, there’s plenty of time for keeping possession when you’re 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go, but let’s mix it up a bit - we’ve looked most dangerous when we go a bit more direct and get the ball in the box to give third division defenders a problem. Moore needs to rethink his approach, and with 35 games left to play this season, there’s plenty of time for him to hopefully do that. 

TL;DR - things aren’t great so far, but there’s no point sacking Moore now for the sake of sacking him when we’re 5 points off autos after 11 games with no real alternative to replace him

I'd say that where we sit in the league is in spite of Moore, not because of him.

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I'd say that where we sit in the league is in spite of Moore, not because of him.

Not so sure I completely agree with that, but I think we could and should be higher in the table. I’m definitely not convinced Moore is the right man for the job at this point, but I don’t think it’s the right time to sack him either. It’s a tricky one

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

Not so sure I completely agree with that, but I think we could and should be higher in the table. I’m definitely not convinced Moore is the right man for the job at this point, but I don’t think it’s the right time to sack him either. It’s a tricky one

It's not been pretty, but we (me included) all gathered optimism after the first couple of games, we have then not been at it as they say for the defeats at Plymouth and at home to Oxford. That is down to the manager but the players need to want it and have to be prepared to graft to get the results needed to get us out of this division. 

11 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Based on what, though?

As far as we know, he recruited the players, several of whom spoke of playing under him as a major factor in joining Wednesday. The squad we have is largely because of him.

Performances haven't been scintillating, but we've been defensively sound for the most part, which tends to be the result of time spent on the training ground with a manager and his coaching team. A fair few of the goals we've conceded have been the result of individual player errors rather than a failure of our system as a whole, so that strength of our game appears to be - at least in part - because of him, too.

Going forward, yes, we look ponderous, which is a concern, and there's surely more which can be done to get us fitting on a more consistent basis, but I'm willing to give him time to get it right. The likes of Berahino and Shodipo don't look fully up to speed just yet, and we still have our most effective attacking player yet to return in Windass.

This was always going to be a tricky season after the car crash that was last year and the sea change which took place during the summer, so to be one point off the top six after eleven games is no reason to be sacking the management team as far as I can see.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

It's not been pretty, but we (me included) all gathered optimism after the first couple of games, we have then not been at it as they say for the defeats at Plymouth and at home to Oxford. That is down to the manager but the players need to want it and have to be prepared to graft to get the results needed to get us out of this division. 

We’ve shown we can graft at times (Charlton and Wigan away spring to mind) but we’ve dropped daft points due to not putting teams away and making individual errors, with some crap refereeing chucked in for good measure. We could really do with stringing 2 or 3 good results and performances together though, that’d give everyone a lift. 35 games to go, 105 points available, fingers crossed things start to improve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, striker said:

Surely your memory is not that short?

Monk, Luhukay, not to mention the abhorrent Pulis teams, in recent seasons. Also, the last time we were in L1, we were awful for a while.....in all honesty did you really prefer the football under Alan Irvine, or any of the aforementioned? Going back further I'd also say the Terry Yorath and Peter Eustace days were pretty bad too.

No, it's not great at the moment, but an overreaction to say it's as bad as some of those. Yes, we are too negative, but we have at least got one striker on the pitch (arguably a couple more but out of position), which is an improvement on Luhukay and Pulis!

Far from perfect, but far from 'the worst' too IMHO of course. 

No my memory is not short at all in fact i can go back as far as 1965 if you like, the football served up under Moore is dire.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps I should have put an undecided option. 

It doesn't appear that Moore can or will change his methods. 

In Jim bowens words, almost, "This is where you could have been". 

Top 2. With a bit more ambition and a lot less negativity and a bit more consistency with team selection and tactics. 

I don't think he can do it and while ever there is a large amount of people disgruntled he's going to have to make some huge improvements in style, selection, tactics and his own ability to communicate. He's on borrowed time. 

Obviously we all HOPE he will make a success but realistically a big chunk of people on OT done expect it to happen. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NOT jack whitham said:

No my memory is not short at all in fact i can go back as far as 1965 if you like, the football served up under Moore is dire.

I'm surprised that in all that time, this Moore team is the worst you've seen. But, opinions are subjective I suppose.

16 minutes ago, A47Owl said:

In Jim bowens words, almost, "This is where you could have been". 

Top 2. With a bit more ambition and a lot less negativity and a bit more consistency with team selection and tactics. 

You make it sound so easy.

In reality, it's pretty difficult to finish in the top two of League One, as many a relegated club have found out over the years.

• Like 2