Who has been Wednesdays best ever Target Man?

The short run of games we had with Kenwyne were absolutely brilliant. A real purple patch for us fans. But again, incomparable to Chappers and Brighty.

I will say this. ‘Kenwyne Jones ma lord, Kenwyne Jones. Oh lord, Kenwyne Jones.’ One of our best songs of all time!!

1 hour ago, nortonwoodseatslives said:

There is only one contender -  and his initials worked wonders!!! (As did he at both ends of the city)!

Derek Dooley.  46 goals in 30 league appearances 1951-2 season.

And Andrew Wilson must have been good.  And Jimmy Trotter when we were winning Div One.

All three before my time though.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

And Andrew Wilson must have been good.  And Jimmy Trotter when we were winning Div One.

I was a raw youth of 12 when I went to see him, and his presence left an indelible memory. There were many flowing tears after the Deepdale tragedy.

By all accounts he was a lovely man to boot (no pun intended). My neighbour worked at Gunstones, where he was held with the same awe and respect as he was at Owlerton. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Andy W said:

Was David Hurst a target man? If so him

Not really. He was all over the pitch helping out defend in addition to attacking the opposition and goal. Didn't adopt a static central position as the main focus. Mark Bright was that player.

• Like 1

Guest Andy W
46 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Not really. He was all over the pitch helping out defend in addition to attacking the opposition and goal. Didn't adopt a static central position as the main focus. Mark Bright was that player.

Ok fair enough..just remember him as a great striker.

Agree Bright great player for us too

Guest hirstysfags
7 hours ago, theowlsman said:

When I read Hooper and Bannister, I start to suspect others have a different definition to myself on what constitutes a target man.

You just mean someone tall then.

8 hours ago, theowlsman said:

When I read Hooper and Bannister, I start to suspect others have a different definition to myself on what constitutes a target man.

Yep. Not meaning to sound condescending or arrogant (but I obviously will), not everyone knows the difference between the various forward positions and what is expected of those roles. That said, in Hooper’s case, he went from a striker that played off a centre-forward to a forward that could play with his back to goal using arse and elbows - not a target man but a player that could hold up the ball to some extent. 

5 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

So it wasn't Danny Devito then? Thought that was a bit of an odd choice for a target man.

15 hours ago, prowl said:

I was just going to post the same thing. Didn't bother holding it up or flicking it on, none of this laying it off. Just put it in the back of the net. Ha wasn't even a giant, he just got in the right place, jumped well, timed it to perfection and hammered it into the back of the net with his head.

My memory might be a bit skewed, I was only a nipper and he was a hero of mine.

I guess as we are all different age groups, we have memories of certain players, but to me as a 16+ year old at the time ,whenever John Ritchie was the target, 9 times out of 10 he would win the ball, and you just knew that he had a great goal scoring ability.....

• Like 2