The Euros

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

Who would you get rid of? 

Alex Scott? Capped 140 times for England and also represented Great Britain in the Olympics?

Should Phil Neville not have been in charge of the England women's team because he hadnt played womens football?

All about opinions .

For me I have to be engaged by the presenter/ commentator and it's great to feel the passion they bring.

Theres a few I listen to that I prefer, for example Micah Richards has been the number 1 for me this year. A breath of fresh air.

I don't think an equality box is being ticked but I do think because of thoughts of yours and a select few others they will always be working against the tide.

Its 2021 and I'm happy to see progression in the sport.

I agree Micah is top class, could watch him all day.

Men’s football is a much higher level than woman’s football, some won’t like that but it’s factual. So it wouldn’t be unusual for someone like Phil Neville to be able to apply his skills and experience to the women’s game, but the reverse probably isn’t true.

I wouldn’t have Alex Scott as expert summariser. She may have a lot of caps, but it’s just not the same either in terms of the pressure or the standard of play. That much is obvious but they try and make out that it’s totally equal

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

But I just think things should be on merit, rather than giving people opportunities because of their gender or skin colour

That’s what most people think. In particular those people who are systematically discriminated against because of their gender or coulour. This is a football forum so don’t want to get too far of the topic but anyone who says women and ethnic minorities don’t suffer discrimination has never done any research into the topic whatsoever. As to Alex Scott specifically she is an experienced presenter and played football at the highest level possible for her gender. I’d be surprised if she wasn’t commentating at this tournament. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

But I just think things should be on merit, rather than giving people opportunities because of their gender or skin colour

Is that not what white males have been getting for hundreds of years?

• Thanks 1

Just now, MarvelOwls said:

Let's get the conversation back onto the Euros

Netherlands and Ukraine should be a good game

Weghorst is pretty prolific(  by the look of the stats ) but it's not somebody I've seen a lot of. They've had a history of some brilliant centre forwards havent they?

Van Basten. Bergkamp. Van Nistelrooy.  Van Persie

I’m looking forward to this one I must agree. I always expect Holland to do better than they do. Technically they are usually very good but just seem to falter in big tournaments. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I agree Micah is top class, could watch him all day.

Men’s football is a much higher level than woman’s football, some won’t like that but it’s factual. So it wouldn’t be unusual for someone like Phil Neville to be able to apply his skills and experience to the women’s game, but the reverse probably isn’t true.

I wouldn’t have Alex Scott as expert summariser. She may have a lot of caps, but it’s just not the same either in terms of the pressure or the standard of play. That much is obvious but they try and make out that it’s totally equal

then Jose mourinio has no right to give his opinion on top class football?

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

@LondonOwl313

Genuine questions here pal, I hope you don't mind

1. You've explained that you think TV presenters should be able to draw from their own personal experiences. As we know, the women's game is some way behind the men's, and you've even praised the new Sky deal as a way to springboard that game. How long do you think we would have to wait before the women's game gets close enough to matching the level of the men's game where you would countenance a female ex-footballer offering 30 second soundbites for the viewing public? 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years? What would be your ballpark timespan before you will find a woman footballer that has had an equivalent experience to the men's game so that you can tolerate her voicing her opinion for 90 seconds?

2. Have you ever complained about ex Premier League players offering comments on FA Cup games at places like Harrogate, as they have never experienced non-league football?

Under number 1, I’ve no idea. It would depend how things develop.. but would guess it might take a generation to get to the point where 50,000 are watching a women’s league game. Personally I’d go with grow the women’s game, then let’s look for equivalence. Tennis is fairly equal but it’s always been like that

Under 2, it’s quite infrequent isn’t it.. usually when they show non league sides in the cup they’re playing Prem teams. When Sky cover their league games you don’t see top ex players covering them, it’s usually players who’ve played at a similar level.. some of which are very good. Used to enjoy Liam Rosenior when he was on before he went to Derby.. Don Goodman is also very good. Would find it strange if they put on ex England players to cover a league 2 game

4 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

Weghorst is pretty prolific(  by the look of the stats ) but it's not somebody I've seen a lot of. They've had a history of some brilliant centre forwards havent they?

Been my second international team for 15 years cos i lived there for 6 months...brilliant people.

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

I agree would be quite happy for all of my posts and the responses to them be deleted so as to not ruin the thread

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

Under number 1, I’ve no idea. It would depend how things develop.. but would guess it might take a generation to get to the point where 50,000 are watching a women’s league game. Personally I’d go with grow the women’s game, then let’s look for equivalence. Tennis is fairly equal but it’s always been like that

So let's just say it takes a generation, for sake of argument, because I don't think that's an unfair ballpark, and it's suitably a timespan to give us a fair amount of wiggle room.

I think the general consensus, what with sports science, increasing walkup attendances, MASSIVE increases in the money involved and global viewership, it wouldn't be unfair to say that men's football is much bigger now than it was in the 90s. So let's fast-forward a generation to a point where women's football is to within the same kind of ballpark as the men's game has been over the last 15ish years... would it not be fair to say that the men's game could have progressed in size even more than it has now, and LondonOwl9313 would be making the same argument, as the women's game is just so far behind the men's?

I'd also put it to you that in a progressive society, should we really be waiting this ill-defined generation before having a lass chat about men's footie on the TV because maybe by that point it'll be suitably big enough?

I believe in a meritocracy for sure, it's integral... but if the stipulation is that women's football must be an equivalent size before a woman can chat about it... you could easily make the argument that it will simply never happen?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Sefton owl said:

I think 1-0 was a fair score, we looked brilliant in spells but the heat will have been draining also even for croatia who I think were poor to say they had a number of starters that were World Cup runners up 3 years ago. 

For me the best thing about this england side is the ability to adapt our personnel and shape according to their opposition. I think against scotland grealish will need to start because they will just sit back. Add rashford and sancho to the mix, it’s a frightening front line. 

Also shout out to Pickford and mings,they’ve had his critics but were outstanding today. 

A solid 8/10 performance 

Outstanding summary.

Keep it going through the tournament.

5 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

I would love to explore there a little more. How do you think they will get on?

Ill tell you later 😉

I went to see FC Groningen when i was there...they were good at passing and moving but there was virtually no tackling.  They really do focus on their technical ability...and I guess Ajax, Eindhoven and Feyenoord hoover up all the young talent.

33 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

Who would you get rid of? 

Alex Scott? Capped 140 times for England and also represented Great Britain in the Olympics?

Should Phil Neville not have been in charge of the England women's team because he hadnt played womens football?

All about opinions .

For me I have to be engaged by the presenter/ commentator and it's great to feel the passion they bring.

Theres a few I listen to that I prefer, for example Micah Richards has been the number 1 for me this year. A breath of fresh air.

I don't think an equality box is being ticked but I do think because of thoughts of yours and a select few others they will always be working against the tide.

Its 2021 and I'm happy to see progression in the sport.

I’d get rid of Jenas. Fell asleep this afternoon listening to him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think this debate about women commentators is interesting.

I think it comes down to authenticity.

Would Chris Turner in his pomp get into the world cup  womens winning teams of Germany or the USA?

Probably. Maybe definitely.

What would be the reaction of he was on the Euro panel of pundits?

I suspect that he would be seen as not qualified to be there.

Edited by Costello 77

Guest LondonOwl313
17 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

So let's just say it takes a generation, for sake of argument, because I don't think that's an unfair ballpark, and it's suitably a timespan to give us a fair amount of wiggle room.

I think the general consensus, what with sports science, increasing walkup attendances, MASSIVE increases in the money involved and global viewership, it wouldn't be unfair to say that men's football is much bigger now than it was in the 90s. So let's fast-forward a generation to a point where women's football is to within the same kind of ballpark as the men's game has been over the last 15ish years... would it not be fair to say that the men's game could have progressed in size even more than it has now, and LondonOwl9313 would be making the same argument, as the women's game is just so far behind the men's?

I'd also put it to you that in a progressive society, should we really be waiting this ill-defined generation before having a lass chat about men's footie on the TV because maybe by that point it'll be suitably big enough?

I believe in a meritocracy for sure, it's integral... but if the stipulation is that women's football must be an equivalent size before a woman can chat about it... you could easily make the argument that it will simply never happen?

I think the women’s game will grow at a much faster rate, the men’s game must be quite close to saturation point now. Think they’ll struggle to keep increasing the wages and money involved, whereas you can quite easily increase it in the women’s game if you get more interest. 

I know what you’re saying, that it’s basically a chicken and egg situation where giving them air time on the men’s game will increase exposure to their game, and that waiting for equivalence means it would never happen.

But it’s hard to be a meritocracy and promote the women’s punditry on men’s football at the same time. I think if we’re opening it up for them to have their say, then why don’t we have more diversity in the male voices. More non league players or unknowns. And I think it’s because most people wouldn’t be interested in watching that.

28 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

I'm with you there. Never seem to have got it together for a fair few years. Used to like watching Davids and Seedorf too.

Italy and Belgium have both set the pace and delivered big statements.

Netherlands have a pretty easy group dont they?

They definitely look favourites to go through. Sometimes though when there is an obviously weak team in a group (North Macedonia in this group) things can get tight as all other teams pick up a win against them. I’d think they will make it but Ukraine are no pushovers!

1 minute ago, striker said:

Agree. He is the most boring man in the world. I've no idea why the BBC keep putting him on TV.

I must be in a small minority on Owlstalk as I don’t have any problem with him. Certainly better than my own least favourite commentator Mark Lawrenson! 
My wife heard Jenas commentating and recognised his voice from ‘The One Show’. She didn’t even know he used to be a footballer…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1