The Euros

I wasn't looking forward to it for many reasons, but got in the mood on Thursday and watched the Turkey vs Italy game on Friday. I was going to watch the Belgium vs Russia game last night, but got put off by everything about the Eriksen incident and can't be bothered again/anymore with it. The Euros and World Cup is only the football I'm kinda interested in now too, as I've lost interest with our domestic game. Hopefully the WC in Qatar next year is better/I enjoy it better, but I won't hold my breath. I will be looking at Euro 2024 in Germany and the 2026 WC in North America.

1 minute ago, Incognito Owl said:

I wasn't looking forward to it for many reasons, but got in the mood on Thursday and watched the Turkey vs Italy game on Friday. I was going to watch the Belgium vs Russia game last night, but got put off by everything about the Eriksen incident and can't be bothered again/anymore with it. The Euros and World Cup is only the football I'm kinda interested in now too, as I've lost interest with our domestic game. Hopefully the WC in Qatar next year is better/I enjoy it better, but I won't hold my breath. I will be looking at Euro 2024 in Germany and the 2026 WC in North America.

*is the only football...

And lineker. Sterling star of the match. Not man of the match. So as not to upset any of the ladies who played tonight. Though in today’s world I’m sure the sun and moon will lodging a complaint for being excluded 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Plonk said:

And lineker. Sterling star of the match. Not man of the match. So as not to upset any of the ladies who played tonight. Though in today’s world I’m sure the sun and moon will lodging a complaint for being excluded 

As Lineker explained, he thought Phillips was a good shout for 'man of the match' and 'star of the match' is actually the name given for the official award for each game, made by UEFA.

But yeah, blame Lineker. 

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As Lineker explained, he thought Phillips was a good shout for 'man of the match' and 'star of the match' is actually the name given for the official award for each game, made by UEFA.

But yeah, blame Lineker. 

I wasn’t blaming lineker. He actually highlighted that he has to call them “ star of the match”. I was slagging the madness that you can’t have a man of the match in a game comprised purely of men so as not to upset all the rest of the world that aren’t men. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

I wasn’t blaming lineker. He actually highlighted that he has to call them “ star of the match”. I was slagging the madness that you can’t have a man of the match in a game comprised purely of men so as not to upset all the rest of the world that aren’t men. 

These days it's not just men and women. You could upset 'them' or whatever they want to be known by today. I'm old fashioned and don't get it.

Sorry and all that but I just can't be bothered.

• Like 2

I watched the second half, nice goal but a bit tedious other than that. Typical tournament football, don't lose, don't try to play exciting football  just don't lose.

I've watched bits of other games, don't understand how Finland won, Wales were lucky to draw. Belgium did well against a rubbish Russian defence.

It's not caught my imagination yet. I hardly know any of the England players these days because I just don't watch Premiership footbal or Champions league. It's not real football.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

51 games of football where I can be neutral for just about all of them!

Good to see the crowds. Looking forward to seeing some players I've never heard of before.

I thought the England game was just job done. Professional performance as they say. If we want to progress then we have to change it up a gear which I think the squad is capable of.

Foden looked bright at the start but faded off. Mount played well. I'd bring in Shaw for Walker for the next game.  I didnt want to like Kalvin Phillips ( because of the Leeds connection) but he was class today and would be my man of the match. Sterling lively too.

I think that this was a performance to win the game which we did pretty comfortably. 

He'll make changes as we go.

Unfortunately the likelihood is that our toughest game will be round of 16 so it could be a short tournament for us.

Just now, HIGHERSTATE said:

Need more kick and rush, studs showing, buggers grips and frozen hard bare pitches.  

No it's not that that gets on my nerves.

Prima donna players.

Play acting.

VAR.

Too much hype of pretty average football by media.

Big build up to very average games.

England team, always hyped up to be great then flop.

Hysteria when we look like we might get a bit of success then comes the big let dowm

It just doesn't work for me. I prefer honest endeavour by players playing for the love of the game rather than the money and fame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Incognito Owl said:

Obviously it’s your opinion but personally I couldn’t disagree more. 

This is the first major event where people from all across Europe have been able to come together and celebrate with each other and in different countries. England have got a fantastic young team and i just feel the whole occasion will lift people’s spirits and finally put the scaremongering media to bed. And of course the sooner last season ended the better. 

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, prowl said:

These days it's not just men and women. You could upset 'them' or whatever they want to be known by today. I'm old fashioned and don't get it.

Sorry and all that but I just can't be bothered.

It’s ridiculous.. it’s like they have an equality quota on everything. I feel like we’re losing this culture war, it’s now fully acceptable to have these women who nobody knows who they are yapping away like amateurs. I have to turn the sound off sometimes.. might as well find people who played for the dog and duck as it’s the same standard.